A sticky situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sticky situation

I assume we've all noticed the Panini Adrenalyn XL trading cards appearing in shops?

It's all a bit razzmatazzy for my liking, with "England Superstar" needlessly, and wrongly, graffitied over Ashley Young.
    So I wondered where the stickers are? Nothing on Panini's website, but footballfigure.co.uk seeems to reckon this

is coming out at the end of April.

Have we been here before? Do we hold out in hope of stickers or rush in for the cards? Do Panini keep quiet on the stickers and release them later because they know they'll sell anyway and the cards need an earlier 'push' (and so if I do rush in I've fallen for it)?

P.S. I'm making the further assumption that we think it's ok for a grown man to want such a thing.

A sticky situation

Don't be pathetic. Oh...

Comment

A sticky situation

Friends don't let friends collect "Adrenalyn XL trading cards".

Comment

A sticky situation

What a wonderful place OTF is. Thanks!

The boy, 14 months, is working his way though this

Having finished off this.

He's a fan of the sticking and patting down aspects but, left to his own devices, you're lucky if they go on the right page so this should be fun.

Comment

A sticky situation

My son has some swaps if anyone's interested...we'll be waiting on the train station near the ground before Italy v Spain...

Comment

A sticky situation

ursus arctos wrote:
            Friends don't let friends collect "Adrenalyn XL trading cards".
            Damn, ursus. Vernons Pools mentioned the cards on Twitter, and I was interested in doing something Panini for the first time. The cards interest me, having collected cards when I was a kid. Collecting stickers seems strange to me.

Comment

A sticky situation

I want to know more of these amazing dog facts and amazing farm facts.

As Inca says, we do cards in our country. Stickers never, umm, stuck as a concept here despite an attempt in the early 80s. I had the NFL books.

Comment

A sticky situation

And are the people collecting the stickers for the dogs and farm animals the Animal Detectives, or are the animals on the cards the detectives themselves? Because that would be cool.

Comment

A sticky situation

Inca, you obviously can go ahead and collect the cards (if you find them) without in any way diminishing the esteem in which I hold you, but my view on this subject is typically old school curmudgeon.

Football has done stickers for donkey's years (essentially since the demise of the cigarette card), with cards being seen as the ersatz interloper. In North America, the situation is reversed, with Panini still trying to convince people that the likes of baseball stickers are a thing.

Comment

A sticky situation

Incandenza wrote:
                    And are the people collecting the stickers for the dogs and farm animals the Animal Detectives, or are the animals on the cards the detectives themselves? Because that would be cool.
                    The first one I'm afraid (the 'animals as detectives' market has been well and truly cornered by cartoon characters such as Scooby and Danger Mouse).

These aren't albums that you need to collect for; all the stickers are supplied with the book and the small child needs to pop the picture on the appropriate silhouette next to the facts. I don't have the books to hand so I can't give you any of the pearls of wisdom at the moment but, needless to say, the word 'amazing' oversells the facts in the same way 'awesome' oversells a hotdog.

Farm book done, now onto cats. Our local Pound Shop is a useful place sometimes.
                    He's also done a job on my Guitar Hero axe.

Comment

A sticky situation

'Cat facts' is quite fun to say.

Comment

A sticky situation

ursus arctos wrote:
                        Inca, you obviously can go ahead and collect the cards (if you find them) without in any way diminishing the esteem in which I hold you, but my view on this subject is typically old school curmudgeon.

Football has done stickers for donkey's years (essentially since the demise of the cigarette card), with cards being seen as the ersatz interloper. In North America, the situation is reversed, with Panini still trying to convince people that the likes of baseball stickers are a thing.
                        Well, I feel like if I'm going to try to do this for the first time, I should try the traditional way. As they aren't exactly cheap on eBay, I don't want to do both. I guess I'll wait for the stickers.

Comment

A sticky situation

Apparently, they aren't doing baseball, but are pushing stickers for the NFL, NBA, and NHL.
                          http://store.paniniamerica.net/sticker-collections.html

Comment

A sticky situation

Just to echo Reed's desire for some of these facts about animals.

Comment

A sticky situation

OK, here we go:

Farm fact - Eggs
                              Females are ready to lay their first eggs from the age of six months and can lay as many as three hundred eggs a year. Chicks are only produced if the eggs have been fertilised.

Dog fact - Therapy dogs
                              Therapy dogs are used in hospitals and homes for the very ill. Patients can pet, feed and play with the animals and this makes everyone feel relaxed and happy.

Cat fact - Eating grass
                              Cats love to nibble on grass! With all their grooming their tummies fill up with fur balls. They chew grass as it's indigestible and they then vomit up the balls and have a clean tummy.

Comment

A sticky situation

kevchenko13 wrote:
                                OK, here we go:

Farm fact - Eggs
                                Females are ready to lay their first eggs from the age of six months and can lay as many as three hundred eggs a year. Chicks are only produced if the eggs have been fertilised.
                                This occurs when the cockerel pins them down, grabs the feathers at the back of the neck in it's beak and fucks them.

Dog fact - Therapy dogs
                                Therapy dogs are used in hospitals and homes for the very ill. Patients can pet, feed and play with the animals and this makes everyone feel relaxed and happy.
                                Apart from the ones with allergies to pet fur, who end up scratching and sneezing with tears streaming down their face

Cat fact - Eating grass
                                Cats love to nibble on grass! With all their grooming their tummies fill up with fur balls. They chew grass as it's indigestible and they then vomit up the balls and have a clean tummy.
                                These are usually found under the bed three months later, during which time you have walked in there every day and wondered what the fuck that awful smell is.

As usual, kids books tell only half the story, and sugar coat it as well.

Comment

A sticky situation

Rick Santorum has announced that he will ban the one on chickens.

Comment

A sticky situation

Some more for you;

Farm fact - Sheep shearing
                                    Sheep shearing is hard work but expert farmers learn to shear very quickly and it doesn't hurt the sheep at all.

Dog fact - Jack Russell
                                    Jack Russells are small and love cuddles. They are sweet and as puppies like to chew things especially shoes.

Comment

A sticky situation

kevchenko13 wrote:
                                      Some more for you;

Farm fact - Sheep shearing
                                      Sheep shearing is hard work but expert farmers learn to shear very quickly and it doesn't hurt the sheep at all.
                                      From the free dictionary:
                                      "shearing
                                      1. mechanical removal of the sheep's fleece. A traumatic event in the sheep's annual calendar. A time for the transmission of diseases between sheep, e.g. mycotic dermatitis, caseous lymphadenitis, infection with environmental infections, e.g. gas gangrene, tetanus, and for exposure to inclement weather without the protection of a fleece.

shearing injuries
                                      1. injuries inflicted to a sheep during shearing and by the shearing machine. Lacerations are frequent but cause little damage if they do not become infected. They appear to cause no discomfort and heal very quickly. The serious injuries are the removal of teats in ewes, damage to the prepuce and removal of the tip of the vulva. The last two lead to deviation of the stream of urine, fouling of the nearby fleece and increased risk of blowfly strike."

Dog fact - Jack Russell
                                      Jack Russells are small and love cuddles. They are sweet and as puppies like to chew things especially shoes.
                                      Jack Russells are nasty, yapping, short-tempered, snarling, schitzophrenic cunts.

Comment

A sticky situation

Think a letter may need to go to the publishers but "Learn amazing farm lies" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

I'd assumed someone would bring up the video of a Jack Russell I uploaded on the rat thread.

Comment

A sticky situation

ursus arctos wrote:
                                          Rick Santorum has announced that he will ban the one on chickens.
                                          Ha ha!

Comment

A sticky situation

Sean of the Shed wrote:

Jack Russells are nasty, yapping, short-tempered, snarling, schitzophrenic cunts.
                                            Tell me about it. We had one called Buster when I was a kid. He'd bite the ankles of visitors, so my parents would shut him in the shed when we had people round. He eventually bit a hole through the bottom of the shed door. He bit me one day when I was patting him.

Yes, nasty little f*cker, he was.

Comment

A sticky situation

But the dog on Frasier was so cute!

Comment

A sticky situation

That's why he was on Fraiser. They had to feature the only nice, spunky Jack Russell.

Comment

A sticky situation

Bought the album today. The game's afoot!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X