Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Germany fan thread

Right, I think it's time to out myself.

As a child, I loved West Germany, thanks initially to Schuster in Euro '80 (though I can't remember anything he did, I recall the impression he made), then Rummenigge, Breitner and Littbarski. I didn't give a toss about their unsavoury antics in the 1982 World Cup, because love is blind. I supported them in '86, even though I loved Maradona too, and I cheered for them in the 1990 semi, when even my fanatically anti-patriotic dad was urging England on.

Thereafter my love faded; dislikeable individuals were nothing new, but the team through the '90s and most of the '00s was damned dull to watch, while reunification saw the country lose its romantic Cold War feel. I discreetly fed on footage and articles of the early '70s side while cheering variously for Scotland, England, Turkey, Bulgaria and Argentina among others.

But then came the new Germany. The delicious, swashbuckling team of Muller, Ozil and Schweinsteiger, not to mention sweet little Podolski. They are fab again, I have a national team I can properly support again and I can't wait to see them take the stage this summer.

So, this is the thread for those of us who truly appreciate the delights of the Nationalmannschaft. Here they are warming up for the second of their three Euro triumphs.

The Germany fan thread

I have liked them well enough through the years. The first WC I remember was West Germany 1974 when I was 8, though I still remember watching a seminal performance away to England in the 1972 QF. What a great side they were then and the look/flavour of the country and its football stadiums appealed to me.

We had so many lovely German students staying at our house through the 80s and I once played as a ringer for one lot against a team of Italians from the same language school.

I wouldn't say I supported them, but I have no ill feelings towards them, aside from Schumacher and Steilike, despite their beating England so often. Though Italy have fared pretty well against them in my time.

Comment

The Germany fan thread

I never much liked them through the nineties or most of the "aughts" but they were my favorite team to watch during the last World Cup. The third-place match between Germany and Uruguay was much more fun than the final.

Comment

The Germany fan thread

I have fond memories of the 'Deutschlands Angstgegner*' period:

17/11/1982 Belfast Northern Ireland 1:0 (1:0) Germany FR
        16/11/1983 Hamburg Germany FR 0:1 (0:0) Northern Ireland
        02/06/1992 Bremen Germany 1:1 (1:1) Northern Ireland
        29/05/1996 Belfast Northern Ireland 1:1 (0:0) Germany
        09/11/1996 Nuremberg Germany 1:1 (1:1) Northern Ireland

* bogey team

Comment

The Germany fan thread

I too was a childhood West Germany fan. I even argued that the '82 Austria game was a keenly-fought contest.

Comment

The Germany fan thread

There's really nothing to dislike about the current German team. They're quick, skilful, play entertaining football and the team is made up of players (and a coach) who all seem to be genuinely decent people.

I'll even forgive Thomas Müller for his cheesy Müller yoghurt adverts. Or maybe I've been living here too long …

Comment

The Germany fan thread

Ooh do you think they'll start selling the cheesy muller yoghurt in the UK?

Comment

The Germany fan thread

Thomas Müller's endorsment portfolio also includes Bi-Fi, a subbrand of Pepperami considered too grim to export. Oh the glamour!

Comment

The Germany fan thread

Buy two five packs of BiFi and get a free Thomas Mueller fan scarf!

Comment

The Germany fan thread

Jimmy Bignutz wrote:
                    Thomas Müller's endorsment portfolio also includes Bi-Fi, a subbrand of Pepperami considered too grim to export. Oh the glamour!
                    I haven't seen the Bifi ads, although I am not unaware of the product. One of those things you feel terribly guilty after you've eaten it.

Lukas Podolski is advertising solar panels, of all things. And I've already mentioned Jogi Löw's grooming set.

Comment

The Germany fan thread

ursus arctos wrote:
                      The thought of eating ten BiFis is making me feel slightly ill.

Comment

The Germany fan thread

You can use the Fanschall to cover your mouth . . .

Comment

The Germany fan thread

ursus arctos wrote:
                          "All right, Thomas, now point up and to the right. No, use both hands! The smirk is fine, I guess. No, that's it, if we need you to point to the left we'll just reverse the image in Photoshop. Grab some Bifi on your way out. Thanks!"

Comment

The Germany fan thread

So you've seen the "Making Of" video of the advert, then.

Comment

The Germany fan thread

/Doc Cox

Comment

The Germany fan thread

ursus arctos wrote:
                                So you've seen the "Making Of" video of the advert, then.
                                Yes, it's very short.

Comment

The Germany fan thread

Any fans of Germany should be heading to G-Man's site and the second post down for some musical treats - check the comments for more...

Comment

The Germany fan thread

Bi-Fi is in Holland as well. It's an Amsterdam internet cafe for bisexuals.

They have the Bi-Fi pepperami things too. Fit enough for export to Holland, it would seem.

I made the bit about the internet cafe up. I bet you believed me though.

Comment

The Germany fan thread

germany are probably going to do it this time. they've been very close at the last three tournaments and they have a hunger i no longer see in spain. they have great speed and some of these young guys are ridiculously good.

i would rather see even england win it though. i like the idea that anyone can win these tournaments. germany has poured resources into this team, creating it has been a national ten-year plan, which ground into action after they humiliated themselves at euro 2000. there is something offputting about the way they have slowly and deliberately manufactured this new race of footballing supermen, something chilling about their inexorable competence. i feel more comfortable with england's clueless faddishness and emotional flights of fancy. if they win it will be a miracle and that's closer to the real spirit of football.

Comment

The Germany fan thread

You mean Germany have a hunger for friendlies you no longer see in Spain?

Comment

The Germany fan thread

it reminds me a little bit of the federer-nadal rivalry. spain are technically better, but germany are younger and stronger. spain can't hold them off forever.

Comment

The Germany fan thread

I have never seen why people have a problem with Germany. They even see fit to lose to Wales occasionally

Comment

The Germany fan thread

as i have said here before, i never used to have a problem with them and supported them in the 1990 world cup. it's more since germany began to dominate europe again in the political sense that i've lost any affection i had for them. it is not the team's fault, but like any national team they are an important focus for the nation's conversation about itself, and i find the tone somewhat self-congratulatory and arrogant.

the conversation in england has, i think, changed from that tabloid-driven we-are-the-champions jingoism to a kind of ironic resignation. the tabloids obviously still beat the drum but i don't think anyone's listening any more. the english really do not expect to achieve anything any more. in their current hopeless mood, it would be harder to begrudge them the success they no doubt will not achieve.

Comment

The Germany fan thread

Garcia, I think that is possibly the first time that I have actually seen anyone on here actually sum up what it is like for most people in England. And there is no doubt that they will not achieve any success next summer.

Comment

The Germany fan thread

Meanwhile, I love Germany. They had a rough spell (by their own high standards) and built a completely new team, more or less from scratch. And it probably has the most exciting fan culture in Europe.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X