Germany-Spain final thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, of course it is stupid if you bet on England in the mistaken assumption that they will win the World Cup. But I'm pretty sure that many of the bets were not made because the punters think that Stevie G and Ku Klax John T will bring the cup home, but more as an expression of support, like fixing a flag on your car. In any case, the point I made is tyhat English people going to Ladbrokwes to lay down a bet on England is very much different to people going to Ladbrokes to put money on an Argentina side brimfull with talented players.

Comment

I support Argentina in World Cups and I was certainly not in the slightest bit optimistic of their chances last time.

With England at least it usually starts to go wrong once they get there, they don't usually shoot themselves in the foot when they name their squad for the tournament. Argentina did, not for the first time either.

It was a squad with not a proper, recogniseable fullback and a midfield full of creative and attacking midfielders apart from Mascherano. Left at home were Zanetti and Cambiasso, fresh from significant roles in Inter's treble. Had they both played against Germany then the result might possibly have been different.

Comment

But I'm pretty sure that many of the bets were not made because the punters think that Stevie G and Ku Klax John T will bring the cup home, but more as an expression of support, like fixing a flag on your car.
        Have you been in England during a World Cup recently? I thought it was quite well known on OTF that England is full of people who mistakenly get into a fervour every tournament that we will in fact actually win it, and 2010 was no different.

We actually went into the tournament with quite a wave of optimism. We'd qualified well, Capello was at that point still pretty well respected, and we have a lot of famous players of our own, many of whom were around the age they should have been peaking. In many ways Argentina and England were quite similar, teams that were less than the sum of their parts, and indeed they were next to each other in the FIFA rankings at 7 and 8 respectively.

Obviously we never actually were going to win it, but neither was Argentina. And again you make a sarcastic point about my analytical skills, when everyone on OTF who paid the tiniest bit of attention to them said exactly the same thing.

By the way, this article implies that England were third favourites with French bookies as well: http://www.france24.com/en/2010060-football-world-cup-france-online-gambling-business-odds

Comment

Sorry G.Man but putting money on your favourite team is pure mug punting
          There is no other sort.

Comment

What a peculiar man you are. People bet on England because, hey, you might as well put a few quid on your favourite team to make it interesting.
            From what I know, unless people are'following form', they are more likely to put security bets on the team that is playing against the team they support so they feel that it is a win-win situation.

They are, of course, divs.

Comment

Working...
            X