Euro Blog Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro Blog Article

Hi all, I'm new to posting on this message board but a frequent reader. Here's an article I've written on my blog that sums up the Euro's for me. Any feedback on my blog would be much appreciated. http://kierlymnfootball.blogspot.com/

Euro 2008

I’m not going to insult you by telling that Spain are the new European champions because if you are reading this you’ll know. I’d just like to say how refreshing it was for Spain to win it. Fourty Four years without a major honour and the old man Aragones rallies the troops enough to come out on top, and didn’t they deserve it. I doubt I was the only one that thought Germany would stumble into the final when they rolled over to Croatia. Lets face it when do Germany get to a major final with a perfect record? Not in my lifetime that’s for sure. But yeah, the final left a little to be desired in my opinion but the occasion was big and emotions were adequately high. Germany came out of the traps like a tethered bull that’s just been teased with a red rag, and that energy lasted for about eleven minutes before they petered out and succumbed to the Spaniards patience and measured football. The defining moment, quite fittingly was the obviously Torres-esque deft chip over a hapless, Stuttgart bound Jens Lehmann by El Nino himself.

By far the best team throughout the tournament, La Seleccion finally pulled it together and showed that they are no longer a team of wonderful individuals that cannot play together. In the tournament, Luis Aragones showed two instances of immense bravery, one in leaving Raul out of the squad and two in braving the bumps at a princely sixty nine years old. I for one winced, knowing he would almost certainly suffer a heart attack during the celebrations. Thank Christ he didn’t. But in all seriousness I think that expelling Raul and opting for the prolific Dani Guiza was probably the key to the success. I feel Raul carries an atmosphere with him and for the players, that although he isn’t the coach he is the first name on the list (if you follow me) and that he would personally be let down by the side if they didn’t perform, not to defame anyone, but that’s just my impression. And so he wasn’t there and the team played without pressure and with an amazing degree of togetherness by their standard. Coincidence? I think not.

Spain’s success did show us what great young talent the Spanish League has started yielding again. I think the days of Morientes, Raul and Salgado et al, are now finally gone and its now all about Villa, Torres, Silva and Fabregas, and with that little line up the future looks bright. But it is strange how in the space of a few years international teams can shed there skins so to speak and grow anew, which is a notion we have not only witnessed first hand with Spain but with Portugal, Croatia and Russia. They have all grown from picking the obvious superstars who supposedly carry the teams on their backs, but have now developed young talent with strength in depth and experience of the big stages playing with big European teams, and not only in their native countries. I was quite excited by the progress Russia made with the likes of Zyryanov, Arshavin, Pavlychenko and Zhirkov, who from nowhere have thrusted their country into the thin aired regions of the FIFA World Rankings, leaving England blushing. And it has to be said some of the ball on floor football played by Croatia and Russia at times was sublime.

Right, straying from the Euros lets talk about Cristiano Ronaldo’s impending transfer to Real Madrid. Of course I’m joking. I’m just as bored, if not more bored of it as you are. In my head I can imagine him in a Real Madrid strip being presented to the media and doing a few kick ups before the obligatory picture with the gaffer holding the scarf aloft in tandem, and it bores me to the core. Either go or stay but get your face out of my paper and off my television. Ha!

Adios,

Kier

Euro Blog Article

Welcome CrouchingDragonHiddenFox. Well, I'm not a great reader of football blogs, or blogs in general come to think of it, but many people on here are and there are quite a few who write their own too so I would expect you'll get some decent feedback from them.

I will highlight just one mistake in your article, and that is that it has been a lot longer than "24 years without an honour" for Spain, in fact it is 44 years since they last won anything. 24 years ago Spain reached the final of Euro 1984 but they lost 2-0 to France.

Comment

Euro Blog Article

DAMN! I actually did know that and it was surely a typo. I have done my homework I swear! But thankyou for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
      X