Senna, then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Senna, then

Am I right in saying that Manchester United had a fee agreed with Villareal for Senna, and a contract all ready to be finalised before pulling it at the last minute?

Looks like they dropped a bollock there. He was outstanding again tonight, as he has been all tournament.

Senna, then

Great, great performances - perhaps key in the Spanish game, although less flashy than others. If only he'd dived to head that ball tonight instead of going for the kick.

Comment

Senna, then

There were a few teams said to be in for him after Villareal's run in the CL in 2006. I think Spain's early exit in Germany might have had to do with some of the cooling interest. His 06-07 season wasn`t great, either, so interest cooled.

He's 32 now, though, isn't he? Can't see a big money move for him at this stage.

Comment

Senna, then

EIM wrote:
        Am I right in saying that Manchester United had a fee agreed with Villareal for Senna, and a contract all ready to be finalised before pulling it at the last minute?
        Two years ago.

As an aside, I am getting a bit sick of European national teams each having their own pet Brazilian who gets to wear the jersey after three or four years (or frequently less) of living in the country. Senna should be playing for Brazil, not Spain.

Comment

Senna, then

Yeah, though I was impressed that Marco (sorry, Mehmet) Aurelio had at least learnt the Turkish anthem. Better than Kazim Kazim anyway.

Comment

Senna, then

Then you are against naturalisation per se?

Comment

Senna, then

I am getting a bit sick of European national teams each having their own pet Brazilian who gets to wear the jersey after three or four years (or frequently less) of living in the country. Senna should be playing for Brazil, not Spain.
              As much as I might like to see Hargreaves re-patriated back over here, I can't agree.

Brazil didn't want him. He chose to ply his trade elsewhere and changed his citizenship to that of his new country. Same with Deco. It's not like Ailton playing for Qatar. He lives there, he's made a home there and he has citizenship there.

If he lives there and has the right to vote there, let him play.

Comment

Senna, then

Yeah, i heard Senna actually pulled out because Ferguson and co. were trying to weigh up their options with Hargreaves and someone else. In the end Senna just thought freak it, being left in limbo here, i'm staying. Really surprised no one else came in for him, even another Spanish club, he's been a consistently good performer in La Liga.

Comment

Senna, then

erwin, I'm happy for players to move here, I'm happy for the to take UK citizenship if they fulfill all the regular criteria, and getting full legal priveliges. But I don't think they should represent that country at international sport. It's just another advantage to the big rich countries. Brazil may be able to afford to lose Senna, Aurelio and Deco, but there are a lot of other countries who can't afford to lose players to naturalisation.

Plus it leads to farces like the Serie A passport forging saga, Solomon Kalou's Dutch/Ivorian tango and all sorts of other shit.

Senna was excellent though.

Comment

Senna, then

Incidentally, I've no problem with someone who moves to another country as a child playing for their adopted country. It's players who move as adults.

Comment

Senna, then

I don't get this "Brazil didn't want Senna" thing. Just because a player doesn't get called up at the age of, say, 25 doesn't mean that he can never get picked later on, and Senna is a classic example of a player who peaked very late in his career.

The fact that he was one of the best players at Euro 2008 is not particularly relevant. Even if he had endured a shit tournament and got dropped after the first couple of games, the point would still stand.

Spain, Germany, Belgium, Turkey, Portugal, Poland, Bulgaria, Albania, Croatia and Greece have all had at least one Brazilian-born player representing them in the past 15 years. Of those players, Kuranyi (who is not the only Brazil-born individual to play for Germany in the past decade) is to the best of my knowledge the only one who would also have qualified on (grand)parentage grounds. There's little, if anything, to differentiate it from what the Gulf emirates are doing when they pay Kenyans a couple of hundred grand to run for them at the Olympics.

Poland's Roger Guerreiro fiasco, where the guy had a fresh passport hurled at him a few weeks before the finals began, was merely the latest example of this shite. Guerreiro will probably join a non-Polish club side within the next two years and see his international career die a swift death, just like Emmanuel Olisadebe (debut for Poland 2000, departure from Polish club football 2001, international career effectively dead after 2002 World Cup at the age of 23).

Comment

Senna, then

Hieronymus of Hesselink wrote:
                        EIM wrote:
                        Two years ago.

As an aside, I am getting a bit sick of European national teams each having their own pet Brazilian who gets to wear the jersey after three or four years (or frequently less) of living in the country. Senna should be playing for Brazil, not Spain.
                        Absolutely. I don't care much for raw nationalism, but if a team competes at international level, it should be them and no one else.

And as good as Senna has been, it's only been as a vital cog in a functional midfield. He's not been a Maradonna-esque 'fucked without him' piece of the jigsaw.

Comment

Senna, then

Although the argument might run - Spain without Senna: would they have won?

Comment

Senna, then

I don't care much for raw nationalism, but if a team competes at international level, it should be them and no one else.

No qualification based on parentage or grandparentage either then?

Comment

Senna, then

My understanding was that Ferguson had doubts whether Senna could cope with the power and the pace of the English game.

A fair point really, he was excellent of course for Villarreal that season but their technical, though slow and deliberate game was the antithesis of what Man United played and of course they had made that mistake with Veron.

He's not a big player but he's like Makelele, a tough little competitor who yields nothing in strength to those around him. The thing is, like Mascherano he can actually come out and play when he wants to. He had a lovely little cameo tonight when he dribbled past a few players and then narrowly failed to turn home a headed cross from the move he set up.

Comment

Senna, then

I can't see how you can separate naturalisation and subsequent qualification for employment in any given area from employment as a representative of the relevant country - in any area. Including football.

Comment

Senna, then

Nobody's going to tap into the open goal regarding an Irishman taking HoH's position on this? Okay then.*

*Admittedly, the "only Kuranyi" bit did introduce a plausibly germane distinction.

Comment

Senna, then

What's my nationality got to do with it? I'm not talking about people qualifying for a national team due to having a parent(s)/grandparent(s) from there, which has been the case with many of Ireland's players down the years. I'm talking about players -- frequently, though not always, Brazilians -- coming to a western European league, playing well there for a few years, and then being parachuted into that country's national team.

Comment

Senna, then

So, playing for one's national team should be about blood and not citizenship?

Now there's a slippery slope.

Comment

Senna, then

Antonio Gramsci wrote:
                                        So, playing for one's national team should be about blood and not citizenship?

Now there's a slippery slope.
                                        I didn't say that. I said the current situation, whereby foreign players are being inserted into countries' national squads after an often very short period of time spent in those countries' leagues, is a load of shite and destroys what international football is supposed to be all about.

If a player has moved to a certain country at a young age (say, under the age of 15), and has learned his trade as a footballer there and played all his domestic football there, that is obviously a completely different thing from the Roger Guerreiros of this world.

Comment

Senna, then

According to the interview in the Guardian, Senna wasn't bought by United because 'the sponsors wanted an Englishman'

Comment

Senna, then

Right, but what you have said (perhaps I'm misunderstanding you here) is that people who've never ever been in country X, but have a parent or grandparent who have, should still be able to play for country X, but people who make a choice to move to a country, take out citizenship with all the rights/responsibilities thereof should not.

If that's what you are arguing, what you saying is that place of birth should be the ultimate arbiter *except* if blood ties are involved. Which seems creepy to me (but this may be because I live in a city where more than half the population was born abroad).

In the modern world - thank God - people can move around and (following some kind of minimum residecy period) choose citizenship and declare allegiance to whomever they choose. And the world is a better place for it. Why shouldn't football players be able to enjoy the same rights as anyone else?

(edit: to HOH)

Comment

Senna, then

In a sense it's a bit like the maximum wage. In many ways football was a better spectacle because of it but only at the expense of the players. In any case being allowed to play for a country because an ancestor was once a citizen is kind of medieval isn't it?

Comment

Senna, then

robw wrote:
                                                According to the interview in the Guardian, Senna wasn't bought by United because 'the sponsors wanted an Englishman'
                                                Ah, yes, that's right. I knew there was something about the transfer that smelled a bit Grimsby.

Comment

Senna, then

Three year residency rule, like rugby.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X