Tiger watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiger watch

Mickelson drops strokes on 15 and 17 and is now two behind Glover as he plays 18; Duval is in between them (both on the course and the leaderboard).

Tiger finished ages ago at even par and can't win.

Comment

Tiger watch

Glover is two shots ahead playing the last with Duval, Fisher and Mickelson finished.

Comment

Tiger watch

And Lucas Glover is your champion.

Comment

Tiger watch

Clearly he's got other more important things on his mind, but Mickelson has arguably blown both of the first two majors this year with late bogeys. Which really isn't like him, when he gets into position.

Glover's win proves once again that there really ain't a lot between number 5 or 6 in the world, and number 100, on their day. Glover was 71st coming into this event.

It'll be a cold day indeed (especially under that roof) before a world number 71 wins Wimbledon. Becker was probably the last as a 17-year-old in 1985, and possibly the last I'll ever see. Ivanisevic I don't count, he was only unseeded because he'd been coming back from injury.

The strength in depth on the men's golf tour is extraordinary.

Comment

Tiger watch

The strength in depth on the men's golf tour is extraordinary

I don't think you can compare it with tennis really. It seems like in golf a little bit of luck and a good week can see anyone winning (even a major). Whereas in tennis people don't win grand slams through just being lucky and hitting a rich vein of form. I'd say the contrast you highlight just go to demonstrate why tennis is a sport where the major trophies go to the best players. Which in my opinion is an indication of how tennis is better.

Having said you can't compare them, I just have obviously.

Comment

Tiger watch

The big difference between the two is the structure of the tournaments. For example, David Duval had a triple bogey early on in his round but finished two off the lead. In five minutes of madness he lost three shots on the other 70 players who made the cut. In tennis, you will lose 2 games which might cost you a set against one player. You can still win the match though. That's why the majors go to the best players. It's because a single point/game/set doesn't have the disaster potential that a single hole of 72 does for a golf professional.

Comment

Tiger watch

I'd say the contrast you highlight just go to demonstrate why tennis is a sport where the major trophies go to the best players. Which in my opinion is an indication of how tennis is better.
                It's an indication of how tennis is predictable. Too predictable as far as I'm concerned. If Tiger were a tennis player he'd never lose a single point.

Comment

Working...
                X