Seventeen wides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seventeen wides

The GAA's rule is that either both teams change their kits or neither does. Kerry and Meath both wore their away strip last weekend. Conversely, a few years ago Kerry played Limerick in the Munster championship, and the only difference between both sides' strip was the golden band on the Kerry jerseys. A lot of handpasses went astray that afternoon.

Super game yesterday, the best AI hurling final in years. The Kilkenny goalkeeper won it for his team with those three incredible saves, especially the first one.

Tipp should realistically have prevailed on the balance of play, and I think we'll see a lot of changes on the Kilkenny panel next year -- some of them look knackered.

It wasn't a penalty -- most of the tussle took place before the KK player got into the crucial area.

Tipp responded to the Benny Dunne red card by scoring three consecutive points, so perhaps its significance is being overstated. Dunne has a reputation for pulling dirty strokes in Toomevara games, and so was not a hugely surprising candidate to be sent off.

Cody acted like a dickhead to Marty Morrissey afterwards when the latter brought up the subject of the penalty. Morrissey had to ask about it, how could he not do so?

Comment

Seventeen wides

I think everyone was so shocked at the red card that they all decided to play as though both sides had 15 players. I'm struggling to think of a comparable incident in football. Maybe zinedine zidane's headbutt, but that was off the ball, and provoked. Maybe graeme souness kicking that guy in the balls has the appropriate level of what the fuckness.

Kilkenny were poor for a lot of the game, and the only thing that kept them in the game was clinical efficiency whenever they had a chance, the traditional tipperary drunkeness in front of the posts and a whole heap of hard work by their backs. I have never seen a team work as hard as the kilkenny backs. But as a team They were second best up until the penalty, (despite somehow being ahead at half time) and only seemed to wake up when they scored the goal, followed immediately by a second.

I just assumed that kilkenny would steamroll tipp, and it was annoying to see tipp play so well and finish so badly, while kilkenny just managed to stay in touch despite playing dreadfully by their own ridiculously high standards. That was tipp's big chance and I reckon they've blown it.

Comment

Seventeen wides

The Mighty Kubelgog!!! wrote:
        I think everyone was so shocked at the red card that they all decided to play as though both sides had 15 players. I'm struggling to think of a comparable incident in football. Maybe zinedine zidane's headbutt, but that was off the ball, and provoked. Maybe graeme souness kicking that guy in the balls has the appropriate level of what the fuckness.
        It reminded me of Ken McGrath breaking Gerry Quinn's hand with a filthy stroke in the 2002 semi-final (an act for which McGrath went unpunished by a blind referee, and never publicly owned up to, even though everybody in the country knew he had done it).

It also had a whiff of Manuel Amoros psychotically headbutting Jesper Olsen at Euro 84.

Tipp have a younger panel and manager than Kilkenny, and will be back.

Comment

Seventeen wides

Pat McEnaney, regarded by pretty much everyone as the best GAA referee (in either code) by several thousand miles, will not be doing the final. Instead, it will be Martin Duffy of Sligo.

Very, very surprising decision. McEnaney is the one referee in the country who allows the players to get away with absolutely no shit whatsoever.

Hopefully Duffy will have a good and astute game on Sunday, but this is an extremely unexpected move.

Comment

Seventeen wides

That was actually trailed a few days ago AB, though can't remember where I read it.

Though the concensus seemed to be given the teams, as well as being an AI, both sides would be 'playing-up'.

Comment

Seventeen wides

This is a game with no winners, and everyone loses. It's a bit like Alien vs predator that way.

Comment

Seventeen wides

Is anyone watching Up For The Match?

It's almost making me want to support Cork tomorrow. The studio is teeming with professional Kerrymen, including that cunt Michael Healy-Rae.

They should cancel the All-Ireland. Nothing is worth this.

Paidi O Se was on earlier, pissed to the toejam in his socks. He's a national disgrace.

Grainne Seoige's bogwoman accent has been specially disinterred for the occasion, I see.

Comment

Seventeen wides

Michael Healy-Rae is hilarious. I'm convinced he's an actor. He was on the Late Late Show once (many times actually), talking about how having a few pints and driving home in the country never hurt anyone.

Comment

Seventeen wides

He'll be a TD soon, and the joke will be on us.

Anyway, come on Kerry.

Comment

Seventeen wides

Analogue Bubblebath wrote:
                      Anyway, come on Kerry.
                      Begrudgingly yes. The lesser of two evils.

Comment

Seventeen wides

Kerry have finally settled after a poor start. They're dominating the game now, and but for a few sloppy wides they'd be in front now.

Comment

Seventeen wides

Colm Cooper is a great player but he seems to get more than his fair share of decisions. It's 10-2 since the tenth minute, Kerry are dominating in all areas.

Comment

Seventeen wides

A clever display from the cute hoors who snuffed out the Cork attack in the second half. Kerry were happy to let Cork have the ball 40-50yards from goal whilst packing twelve men behind the ball and following every movement made by the Cork forwards.

There's no joy in seeing them win another All-Ireland though.

Comment

Seventeen wides

Analogue Bubblebath wrote:
                              He'll be a TD soon, and the joke will be on us.
                              That's more of a continuation of a running joke, really.

I think that Kilkenny and Kerry should both be given free passage to the final in their respective sports and that the rest of the country can battle it out to play them.

Kerry especially seem to take the piss, only half bothering in any matches before September.

All those wides against Tyrone, I knew they would come back to haunt Cork.

Comment

Seventeen wides

Not much of a game.

Both halves were mirror-images of each other. Cork flew out of the blocks both times, and then Kerry slowly picked them off. Once Kerry got in front around the 25-minute mark, Cork never looked like winning. Maybe it was the residue of all the Croker losses of the recent past -- there are only so many times the same bunch of players can absorb beatings by the same opponent before it starts seeping into the communal brain.

Cork have made a huge amount of progress this year, but they still lack class in the forward positions. Today, they were brutal when kicking from distance -- some of the wides in the mid-period of the second half were criminal. As soon as Kerry moved the half-forwards back towards defence, Cork were at a loss what to do.

Having said that, Kennelly should have been sent off at the throw-in, and who knows what kind of a game we would have had then.

Kerry only played genuinely well in one match this year, against a suicidal Dublin team who made it ridiculously easy for them. Some All-Ireland wins are better than others, and this was one of the shabbier ones.

As an aside, the RTE coverage was fucking awful. Canning -- jesus christ. Martin Carney was, and is, a bleating moron. The director seemed to be hell-bent on avoiding showing replays of any fouls. And then, back in the studio, you had Brolly repeatedly trying to shoehorn Tyrone into the discussion, and Spillane talking utter shite at every turn, and O'Rourke sitting in the middle like Father Dougal.

Every single one of them needs to be sacked. I'd keep Lyster because the alternative would be someone even more bland like Con Murphy or Peter Collins.

Comment

Seventeen wides

Speaking of The Sunday Game, here is their team of the year.

1. D Murphy (Kerry)
                                  2. K Lacey (Donegal)
                                  3. M Shields (Cork)
                                  4. T O'Sullivan (Kerry)
                                  5. T O'Se (Kerry)
                                  6. G Canty (Cork)
                                  7. J Miskella (Cork)
                                  8. D Earley (KIldare)
                                  9. S Scanlon (Kerry)
                                  10. P Galvin (Kerry)
                                  11. P O'Neill (Cork)
                                  12. P Kelly (Cork)
                                  13. S O'Neill (Tyrone)
                                  14. Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry)
                                  15. M Murphy (Donegal)
                                  Leaving out both Tommy Walsh and Mike McCarthy is absolutely extraordinary, though then again we are talking about a team picked by Spillane and Brolly.

Hard to believe Donegal have two people on the team, though Michael Murphy was very good against Galway and Cork.

I'd have picked Stephen Cluxton ahead of Diarmuid Murphy, who seems to have got in there on the strength of saving a penalty against Sligo (his double save against Meath was in the final seconds when the game was already well won).

Pearse O'Neill had a good championship, but he was hammered yesterday. Ditto Kelly.

Looks like Paul Galvin is the early favourite for Footballer of the Year.

Comment

Seventeen wides

Sorry for being a little late on this, but I just watched the highlights of the All-Ireland Football Final and watched the entire All-Ireland Hurling final. Hurling final was a good game. Kilkenny's two goals just broke the game wide open at the end.

I have a couple questions:
                                    1. How did Kerry ever become the Gaelic football version of Manchester United?
                                    2. While I sort have an idea how the Football Championship is set up, I have don't really have an idea of how the Hurling Championship is set up. I think there is some sort of promotion/relegation system like in the Premier League, but I don't know how it is set up.

Comment

Seventeen wides

1. Gaelic football occupies the same role there as rugby union does in New Zealand. Not many people in Kerry are interested in hurling and the county has never had even a half-decent football (soccer) club.

2. The hurling championship is run along the same lines as the gaelic football one, except there are only two provincial championships (Leinster in the east and Munster in the south) instead of four, because not enough counties play the game to a good standard. This year, Galway, the only hurling county in Connacht in the west, were finally placed into the Leinster championship in order to (a) give themselves some hard games and (b) give Kilkenny some competition in that province. The GAA experimented with a group stage a few years ago, but nobody liked it and it was soon dropped.

Comment

Seventeen wides

I hate Paul Galvin.

Dublin have four nominations for the all-star HURLING team. Cork have two. That Dublin have twice as many nominations tells you all you need to know about the current state of hurling in Cork.

Comment

Working...
                                        X