The World Twenty20 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That figure wouldn't include Dad's Army cricketers, I shouldn't think. Sunday cricket (in England anyway) is where you find those and I'd be surprised if anyone ever tried to count them. The figure given is likely to be for league cricket, though that will include some old (but formerly very good) "off spinners" in second XI. Of course, 9000 isn't many.

As I say, the chance of full time occupation in England (as an unrestricted EU player) is important. It's better than turning up to play in test cricket with a handful of first class appearances.

I don't know what the admin side of Bangladesh is like but they used to be coached by Dav Whatmore who brought Sri Lanka into the elite. He's likely to have set some standards if no-one else has.

Comment

Duckworth Lewis to be updated:

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/409482.html

I suppose you'd expect that as scores change. But how does it work for the Twenty20? How much historic data is there to work on? And anyone know anything about the system used in the Indian Cricket League mentioned here?

Comment

There's an article on the guardian website about the same thing which answers those questions a bit.

Apparently there isn't a specific 20/20 D/L and only a couple of games of it had been played when the data was last updated. Duckworth was saying they were waiting until after this tournament to have enough data to work with.

Comment

Here it is.

Even 114 International 20/20s is not a huge sample size for a project of this sort.

Comment

This is all i could find on the VJD.
            Apologies to anyone who can't see it.

http://www.thetwenty20cricket.com/icl-indian-cricket-league/its-vjd-and-not-duckworth-lewis-at-icl/76/

Comment

Well, that was a surprise.

Can Windies pull off another upset tomorrow?

Comment

I knew SA were going to lose the moment Smith lost the toss. Just a hunch, but I was right.

The atmosphere was incredible, and I think the home-game feeling emboldened Pakistan and intimidated South Africa. It was there in the body language on both sides.

Afridi is a legend...

Comment

Strange decision not to give Umer Gul his full 4 overs. I suppose they were using him by not using him, as Barry Davies once said. The over from the seventh bowler was also bizarre. Thought that was going to get SA out of it.

Comment

Excellent all-round showing by Pakistan, the unlikely direct hit in the final over summing it all up. You'd think they'd have more momentum behind them now than either of the other semi-finallists, but you can never rule out a 1999 World Cup final style no-show.

Comment

Well done to England Women, who have just beaten the Aussies with three balls to spare.

Claire Taylor, 76 not out.

They will play New Zealand in the final.

Comment

Jayasuria single-handedly giving the Windies this match. Really hope he can recover.

Comment

Correction: Dilshan is singlehandedly keeping SL afloat in the face of abject contributions from all the rest of the batsmen.

Interesting sidebar that the 4 semi-finalists from the mens and the 4 from the womens tournaments came from 8 different countries.

Comment

C'mon Tilly.

Comment

Tha was a great innings from Dilshan. Despite wanting the WI to win, I was hoping he'd clobber the last ball for 6 to get a 100.

Comment

It's pretty hard to recover from 1 for 3.

Good luck to Lanka in the final.

Comment

Best wishes to Sri Lanka and NZ in their respective finals.

Generally an entertaining tournament to date, though possibly not for the cricket purists.

Comment

So Pakistan win, not seen the highlights yet so can't comment too much. Sounds like their bowling was too good for Sri Lanka.

It's going mad in Manningham tonight.

Comment

What? Even more so than when England get knocked out in the football?

Comment

Just catching up on the highlights now: what an astonishingly good first over, and what a great (and would it be fair to say uncharacteristic?) performance in the field it appears to have been from Pakistan. Glad they won.

Politically, of course, it was something of a governmental-internal-repression-off.

Comment

Working...
                                        X