The World Twenty20 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought someone might have started one by now. Anyone going to any of the games? Who will win?

England, in tonight's friendly, continued their habit of looking focused, aggressive and talented - as long as their opponents are the West Indies. Not really potential winners though.

India it probably is then. Perhaps NZ will make a cheeky run to the semis or final.

I'm off to the matches at the Oval on Sunday, provided the weather holds. South Africa v Associate 2 (I still haven't bothered to check who that is); England v Pakistan. Expecting some brainless fun for the first games, and then two teams competing to see who can underachieve most in the second.

Comment

Think India will go close but I have a sneaking suspicion for SA winning.

Comment

LLR, Scotland are Associate 2. Enjoy the matches.

I like E10's suggestion of India as favourites and NZ as potential outsiders. I'm virtually certain that Windies will continue to dissapoint.

Comment

I'll keep an eye on it, and was offered tickets. But they're too expensive.

Meanwhile, saw England players both past (Trescothick, Solanki) and possibly future (Davies, Kieswetter) in a close Worcester- Mummerset tussle last night.

Up the Lanka.

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...ia/8083144.stm

Oz have sent Symonds home. At the age of 33 you'd have to think that he's finished at international level now.

Comment

South Africa have been magnificent in the warm-up games against Pakistan and Sri Lanka. An early exit it is then. And Australia will win the fucker just to piss us off.

Comment

Going to the Sri Lanka - West Indies, India - Ireland double header at Notts on wednesday. Quite looking forward to it as I've never been to Notts ground, plus I don't have to drive so I may have a couple of overpriced lagers.

Comment

Trent Bridge is the best ground in the country. Enjoy.

Comment

Seen a few of the warm ups. Ind v Pak was astonishingly intense- not only was it a warm-up, it was 12 aside.

Comment

Hmmm, it's looking horribly grey round here, and www.raintoday.co.uk seems to be indicating more to come. How short can they cut a match?

Comment

No KP, and an abbreviated opening ceremony.

One of those things is good for England.

Comment

Opening ceremony abandoned, with it still coming down.

The Guardian says that the minimum for this tournament is five overs a side, which would be truly farcical.

Comment

Can anybody explain why Australia, Sri Lanka and the West Indies have been lumped together in one group while India have a group containing Bangladesh and Ireland?
                            Surely, unless this is an open draw, which I've never heard of in international cricket before, the idea would be to give the eight strongest nations the best opportunity to progress.
                            Not that I agree with that particular policy in sport, but the amount of money put in by sponsors and the like tends to push tounament directors toward this set-up.

Comment

Cricinfo answered that very question.

It's a combination of them having only used the results of the 2007 tournament (where Windies were awful) for seedings and luck.

Comment

Of course. Fuck me if they haven't actually put Bangladesh there on merit alone. It's almost unheard of.

Comment

An interesting angle is that the same thing will happen next time unless they change the system. One of Australia, Sri Lanka and West Indies will be out of the Super Eights and therefore automatically go into "Pot 3", while either Bangladesh or Ireland will be in "Pot 2".

They are playing, btw. England 30/0 after 4 overs.

Comment

Eric not playing, he's lying somewhat forlornly on the grass next to the other guys. Certainly up till this morning he thought he was playing, judging by his Facebook page.

OTFer Pete almost C&B'd Bopara of his first ball, and was then caught swearing on TV as his fifth ball slips just past Wright's leg stump

Comment

Looking pretty good for the Dutch here.

Comment

Oranje ahead on the D.L. rain clouds around.

I've never seen Pete looked so stressed, he needs a beer and a fag in the worst way.

Comment

Fucking Hell.

Comment

Congratulations to the Netherlands. That was a pretty awesome win.

Comment

Well done Oranje.

Shocking fielding by England at the death. Ursus minor is inspired for extra practice tomorrow.

Comment

It's just occurred to me that I'm the only Englishman they know, I'm going to get shit for this for years to come.

Pete Borren is coming round here two weeks tomorrow for tea. He may have to cancel, he might be busy with something else.

Comment

Holy crap! England losing to the Netherlands! Isn't that just about the most embarrassing defeat in England's cricketing history?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X