Incongruous Sporting Match-ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to Cricinfo, Guernsey have just taken on Suriname in a prestige international cricket match. Wonder who thought that'd be an appropriate match.

Guernsey won easily, scroing 315-3 then skittling Suriname for 52. Jeremy Frith who has reached the heights of Gloucestershire and Derbyshire second XI's scored 106 and then took 5-8.

I'd like to see the return football match.

Comment

Every Rugby world cup seems to throw up a couple of such match-ups, which usually involves one of the main nations up against some poor impoverished side who just play for fun and end up the wrong side of an absolute thrashing. The most notable of these is probably 2003 in Australia when the hosts humiliated Namibia, scoring 142 points without reply. Surprisingly Namibia managed to qualify for the 2007 tournament, but again went out in the group stage without getting any kind of result.

Comment

I was thinking this at lunch on Wednesaday, having just seen Ireland's cricketers limp to 150 all out against Worcester.

Comment

It's not just that the mathc up turned out ot be one-sided, I was just imagining the thought processes somewhere in the Channel Islands: "hmm, I wonder would give us a decent game. I know, Suriname, they have a great cricketing tradition".

Comment

Sean of the shed wrote:
            Surprisingly Namibia managed to qualify for the 2007 tournament, but again went out in the group stage without getting any kind of result.
            I think you'll find a defeat is a kind of result.

Sorry. Just one of those phrases that bugs me.

Comment

Etienne, Guernsey and Surinam were in the same division of the ICC World Cricket League, so it isn't unusual that they played each other.

So's Japan, for that matter.

Actually, Guernsey have now been promoted and Surinam relegated, so we may not see this "classic fixture" again for a while.

Comment

Is it just me or does there not appear to be a world cricket league division six? one to five? yes. seven? yes.

Are they just that bad?

Comment

Surinam must have some Guyanese influence.

Comment

Working...
                  X