Rugby's first penalty shoot-out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it had to happen, I guess, and now we've seen what it looks like in action. The 2003 World Cup Final was a minute away from going the same way.

Leicester 26-26 Cardiff in the Heineken Cup semi at Cardiff, finished 7-6 on penalties to Leicester after (in John Terry fashion) one of the Cardiff lads hoiked a potentially match-clinching kick wide of the posts.

What do OTF's rugby officianados think of it? It felt wrong, somehow, but by heavens it was certainly dramatic.

I can't help but think that drop goal attempts from 22 yards would be more appropriate than place-kick attempts, but I suppose the fear would be that fewer than 2 or 3 players on each side would even be able to put that kind of kick over.

It felt wrong, somehow, but by heavens it was certainly dramatic.

I can't help but think that drop goal attempts from 22 yards would be more appropriate than place-kick attempts, but I suppose the fear would be that fewer than 2 or 3 players on each side would even be able to put that kind of kick over.

I think the last paragraph there highlights the problems you were feeling in the previous one. It's trying to mimic the football penalty shoot-out, but, whereas kicking the ball is an intrinsic skill that all footballers should be capable of, it isn't one that is fundamental to rugby players. Your idea of drop kicks is better, but without the restriction that a different player takes each one.

Comment

Where were the kicks taken from?

Comment

Straight in front of the posts on the 22.

Comment

That was fantastic, I wish it happened more often.

Less cruel in a lot of ways than the football version - nobody *expects* a Martyn Williams to make it, so there's less downside when he doesn't...

Comment

Random thoughts...

I notice that the try count was equal - would this have been the tiebreaker before the penalty shoot-out?

Sounds like the rules were a little more complex for the 2007 World Cup:

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...4724852C215963

A simpler way of settling a draw with an equal try count would be to award the win to the away team. Not that this'd help at a neutral ground.

Comment

I've played and watched rugby since I was a kid and I've never seen a match decided like that. Cruel on Martyn Williams, I knew he was going to miss in a Stuart Pearce "This means more to him than anything" way. And then to have that twat-haired fool Crane kick the winner...

Comment

Working...
              X