Froch vs. Taylor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Froch vs. Taylor

Pants -- isn't Hatton, by his own admission, the guy who spends his time between bouts repeatedly stuffing his face with meat pies and drinking his head off?

Comment

Froch vs. Taylor

His lifestyle has definitely played a part in his demise - ballooning up to around 13.5 stone and having to shift so much weight in 12 weeks was suicidal. But how does that make living through a hardcore 3-month training camp then putting your life on the line in the ring "easilymade money"?

Hatton's made loads of mistakes, in and out of the ring - he'd be the first to admit it. But the fact that he got found wanting at the very highest level doesn't take away from the fact that he's one of the greatest British fighters of all time. An absolute legend and a really lovely bloke.

Comment

Froch vs. Taylor

I'm sure he is, and he's a pretty good boxer too, by any standards. But do you think Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather jnr spend their time between fights drinking gallons of lager and eating what, for a professional athlete, amounts to raw meat soaked in lard?

Maybe both of them would have hammered him anyway, even if he had lived like a monk for two years solid on each occasion prior to fight time. But maybe not.

how does that make living through a hardcore 3-month training camp then putting your life on the line in the ring "easilymade money"?

I was not just referring to Hatton's everyday diet but to the fact that he seemed to have made no effort at all to adapt his brawling bruiser style to Pacquiao, even after being beaten senseless by Mayweather when doing exactly the same things.

It was the boxing equivalent of that Barcelona-Bayern Munich first leg a few weeks ago. Barcelona are seriously handy, for sure, but for a team like Bayern -- who, let's not forget, have quite a few good players at their own disposal -- to be 4-0 down at half-time was a clear indication of them not even coming close to meeting their own standards themselves.

Hatton might well have lost anyway, but surely after the Mayweather massacre he could have taken a different preparatory tack and then, once he was in the ring, tried to apply a bit of basic intelligence to what he was doing, i.e. once he'd got knocked down the first time, spend the next few minutes trying to avoid absorbing big hits. Instead he just kept ploughing along as he'd done before.

Mayweather's father said to Hatton between the two rounds: "You need to move your head. Make him think. Don't try and ball in like that and try and overpower him. You won't overpower him. Keep your hands up. You should've listened to me from day one."

Good boxer, nice guy, a credit to the profession and all that, but jesus, there's no way his preparation for that fight was anything other than awful. Look at how he boxed, how he only knew one way to go, how he couldn't change direction as soon as the other man got on top.

In the unlikely event of Pacquiao actually fighting Mayweather before either of them turns 40, hope the former beats the bejesus out of the latter.

Comment

Froch vs. Taylor

From Sporting Life:

Assistant trainer Lee Beard admitted Ricky Hatton left the gameplan in the dressing room before being knocked out by Manny Pacquiao in the second round of their fight in Las Vegas.

Speaking at the post-fight press conference with Hatton making his way to hospital for scans, Beard said that Hatton - who had promised a new-look style under the guidance of Floyd Mayweather Snr - turned the fight into brawl just like the old days.

"He just seemed to get over excited," Beard said. "He started off, he just got too excited and it just turned into a bit of a brawl basically.

"Manny was brilliant on the night as well but it wasn't that tactical.

"Both of them just stood there swinging. There wasn't any time for pivoting or feinting, they just kept swinging at each other.

"Manny caught him up inside and had quick hands up in the middle of Ricky and hurt Ricky a couple of times in the first round.

"Then in the second round Ricky walked onto the punch that counted. That punch would have knocked anyone down, it was that good."

Comment

Froch vs. Taylor

A lot of what you say is right vennegoor, but I don't see what any of it's got to do with how much Hatton got paid. He earned every penny of it and there's no way in the world it was easy money.

erwin - yeah, I heard the Lee Beard interview. He was quite diplomatic and a bit over-generous to Ricky. He seemed to be suggesting that Ricky had turned it into a Hagler-Hearns-style war. But, in truth, it was never that because Ricky couldn't get near him.

Comment

Froch vs. Taylor

Even after this devastating defeat Pants continues his love-in with the overrated Manc.

Hatton as i have said numerous times is an overrated brawler who is not even in the top 10 british fighters.
              90% of his fights have been against nobodies in the MEN.

Tzu was past it and half-fit.
              Malinaggi wasn't all that and he broke his hand after 3 rounds a hardly threw a punch after that yet Hatton still couldn't take him out.

He made Pac man look 100 times better than he was (although he is a great fighter).
              I still think MAyweather Jnr has too much in his locker for him though despite not having fought for coming up to 2 years.

See the fight here

Comment

Froch vs. Taylor

Hi TG. You could call it a "love-in", but in this case I just thought vennegoor was being a bit naive about the money thing. Making a living from boxing at any level is hard enough, but to make it to the pinnacle takes reserves of courage and dedication almost impossible for someone not in boxing to comprehend. So to say Hatton didn't deserve it or that it was easy money is absurd.

I see your love-in with Floyd Jr. is continuing, too! I quite fancy Pacman's chances against Mayweather. The 2 years out might not be an issue; I guess we'll have to see how he does against Marquez.

Comment

Froch vs. Taylor

I just thought vennegoor was being a bit naive about the money thing.

Hang on a second. Hatton had made about £30m from his boxing career before this fight, and was already secure for life. It wasn't like his entire financial future depended on him getting to this point -- at least then he would have had a (deeply tenuous, admittedly) semi-excuse for not caring about the outcome.

I'm not saying he spent his entire training period eating burgers and lying on his back, but if OTF had been around in the late 1980s, would you have been saying similar things about Michael Spinks the day after Tyson took roughly 30 seconds to wipe him out?

Comment

Froch vs. Taylor

Tactical Genius wrote:

See the fight here
                    Nope - gone. They're dead sharp, the old copyright police, aren't they?

Comment

Froch vs. Taylor

"Tzu was past it and half-fit"

That's not on, TG. Tzu had never loked better than against Mitchell in his previous fight before the Hatton bout. There was no indication at all that he was "past it" and his huge favouritism on the night reflected this.

Hatton was immense in that fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X