Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The future of live event coverage

Where's it all leading to ?

Along with the expert panel offering it's observations and opinion, we now get to cut away to the 'i-desk' where we learn 'BigBill_4654' has just posted 'wow ! what a game ! there's no way they can keep up this pace' on the live game blog. Furthermore, there are 64 active participants in the Chat Room, and the site has had (oh, I dunno, I'm making most of this up) 3,000 hits since the game started.

Is there really such a paucity of content that the breaks have to be filled this way ?

What's next ?

Are we to see the coach update his Facebook profile mid-game to 'is pissed off at the referee' ? Will the left-winger Twitter (tweet ?) that he is open for a pass ?

Oh, and if you have an opinion on this either way just text OPINION to 655537 (charges apply).

GAHHHHH !

Hugh Fatbastard wrote:
    What's next ?

Are we to see the coach update his Facebook profile mid-game to 'is pissed off at the referee' ? Will the left-winger Twitter (tweet ?) that he is open for a pass ?
    A NBA player Tweeted at halftime of a game:

In da locker room, snuck to post my twitt. We're playing the Celtics, tie ball game at da half. Coach wants more toughness. I gotta step up.
    Have networks in Britain ever attempted to mic a player during a game? It's common here in the US for them to have one player "mic'd up" during a game--usually only when it's a major network covering a somewhat big game, so it's not like a midweek meaningless game. They've done this in football, basketball, and baseball. They'll play some clips of what the player said after coming back from a commercial break--I imagine there must be a lot of stuff that can't be aired because of graphic language. I've always wondered if the players are forced to do so--if the league pressures them because of the revenue that network coverage brings in, and they want to accommodate the network and make them happy.

Comment

I've seen county cricket matches on TV where the captains have been miked up. Setanta seems to get a lot closer to the managers in their Conference coverage. Did the league head-honchos promise more access in return for a better TV deal?

Comment

In da locker room, snuck to post my twitt. We're playing the Celtics, tie ball game at da half. Coach wants more toughness. I gotta step up.
        That's insane. But it's essentially what I'm on about. The stuff with Pierre MacGuire or Glenn Healey 'Between the Benches' doesn't bother me so much - when they interview coaches during breaks and whatnot. It's more this covering of the comments posted on the 'liveblog' and such.

I guess it's all about getting people to watch the game on TV and post comments online to max out advertising revenue. But what, with factoring in Twitter and the like, I think my head's going to explode.

Comment

Hugh Fatbastard wrote:
          That's insane.
          It's not the craziest thing a NBA player has done at halftime. Gilbert Arenas, famous for his eccentric behavior, once took a shower wearing his full uniform at halftime of a game he was playing poorly in. He's also played online poker on a laptop at halftime. But I know that's not what you're talking about--just wanted to share some Gilbertology.

Comment

relatedly, I read somewhere that Arsenal will broadcast feeds within Emirates Stadium for SONY PSP users so they can get replays and commentary of the game going on in front of them. Then on the way out they can pick up a copy of the game they just witnessed on UMD.

Comment

My favourite thing like this was when Sky introduced fan commentary on digital. It was particularly fun for the big derbies.

Comment

Oh GY, dont. They (SKY) have been going on and fucking on about the fact that they have two 'ladies' in the fan booth for the weekend's game, and that these are more interested in the football than the legs (or some such bullshit... I cant quote because my head exploded after the second advert)

*I should point out that my head exploded at the sheer sexism and condescension by Sky, not at the women concerned. And the voiceover (and coach) was a woman, who should know better... or stick to tipping losers at the horse racing.

Comment

Oh, it's terrible. But in a hilarious way.

Comment

It's insane due to the appalling use of "da" etc. as though the written word should be expressed in the same way as you speak.

Comment

Eggchaser wrote:
                      It's insane due to the appalling use of "da" etc. as though the written word should be expressed in the same way as you speak.
                      "Owing to" or "because of". Tut tut.

Comment

"Smiley."
                        And thrice, "tut."

Comment

Working...
                        X