Cricket History Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cricket History Question

That's been suggested by a number of people on here recently, and seems to me to be almost sure to happen quite soon.

The somewhat more contentious issue is whether there is a long term future for the 50 over version.

Comment

Cricket History Question

If there's a 50 over World Cup then there'll be a 50 over domestic competition.

That doesn't really answer it, does it?

Comment

Cricket History Question

In England at least, the short game has always had a number of variations: for years there was the 40 over Sunday league, as well as 60 and 55 over cup knockouts. The former has revived, so it's not as if 50 has established as the standard.

Given the above, although more of a fan of 50 than many on here, I wouldn't miss it so much. The real change would be losing four-innings games played over 270, 360 or 450 overs. But if nobody in Pakistan, South Africa or West Indies wants to watch them, that may decline to a purely participant amateur game, or disappear completely. Leaving test matches for England, Australia and maybe India as a nostalgia event. Like the state opening of Parliament or something.

I want Ireland and Netherlands to play four-innings games in an effective test second division, but this may be a pipe dream.

I suppose basically if misery guts Atherton is against it, I'm in favor.

Comment

Cricket History Question

The more serious drinkers need the 40/50 over game. You just can't get thoroughly enough drunk at a 20/20 game.

Comment

Cricket History Question

Puff.

Comment

Cricket History Question

Because I can stay sober through 3 hours of fosters?

Comment

Cricket History Question

Oh yeah, I forgot the abysmal choice of drink at most cricket grounds...

Comment

Cricket History Question

Still not sure of your logic here. If I could stay sober through 3 hours of Special Brew (and I couldn't btw) would that be good or bad.

Comment

Cricket History Question

Duncan Gardner wrote:
                    The real change would be losing four-innings games played over 270, 360 or 450 overs. But if nobody in Pakistan, South Africa or West Indies wants to watch them, that may decline to a purely participant amateur game, or disappear completely. Leaving test matches for England, Australia and maybe India as a nostalgia event. Like the state opening of Parliament or something.
                    I'm not sure I buy that: I could envisage England and Australia still playing the longer form of the game and it being a long way from a 'nostalgia event', albeit cricket is a game that loves to wallow in nostalgia.

Comment

Cricket History Question

In a way, the IPL and the Stamford League is just a throwback to cricket's early history when teams of "England Stars" and "Lord X's Men" would tour the country playing exhibition matches against each other, local teams and scratch sides, raking in the money. Equally popular were the matches featuring Lord Autumnbottom and a professional against Lord Rich Bastard and his professional (i.e. 2 a side). Gambling and match fixing were also rife.

Comment

Working...
                      X