World Championship Snooker 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They rather sensibly showed it at the start of the evening programme on BBC2.

Comment

It's the seventh at the Crucible, and the eighth in the World Championship - Rob Milkins hit one in the 2006 qualifiers, but lost 10-4.

Comment

Phew, just watched the final session between Liang and Swail. I won't spoil it, because the highlights are on at 11.20, but the quality isn't brilliant, bearing in mind the winner becomes a quarter finalist in the world championship, but it is enthralling.

And there may be a little controversy about a replaced 'missed' shot in the final frame.

Comment

Hendry/O'Sullivan, Carter/Maguire would be a very acceptable lineup for the semis. Funny how the dislike for someone like Hendry dissipates after they go five years without winning anything.

Comment

Well, it's all panning out very nicely so far, though the Maguire/Perry game is close, in its early stages, at 4-4.

I think we should have a 'Best reaction by a player who's just scored a 147 break' poll. Ali Carter comes out top for me.

Comment

I was just about to come on here and ask if you'd seen it. Did you?

Comment

I thought it was better than Ronnie's, especially given the kicks he had.

Comment

Only the repeat.

It was pretty cringeworthy that the commentators on both this week's 147s felt compelled to echo Jack Karnhem's "Come on, son" comment at the climax of Cliff Thorburn's 1983 effort.

Comment

We managed to catch it from the fourteenth red on. Nearly didn't go back to that table after watching Ebdon's chance in the previous frame...

Comment

Carter's 147 is here if you want to see it in full:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/7374601.stm

Comment

I've joined this late but it's been a pretty good tournament so far: Two one-four-sevens and a few nailbiting last-frame deciders. The Swail-Liang Wenbo last frame was particularly entertaining.

I've always loved when it goes to a final frame and the commentators say, "after 24/32/36 frames of snooker, it's best of one!". Can't really explain why.

Errr ... now looks like the semis will be Hendry v O'Sullivan and Carter v Maguire albeit with some way still to go in the Maguire/Perry match. Four attacking players in there, should be a good weekend.

Comment

Thank goodness for that semi-final lineup. Snooker was dying on its arse there for the last few years.

I'm particularly looking forward to the Ronnie-Hendry grudge match.

Comment

And it's Hendry in first, looking composed as he builds a solid first-frame break after Ronnie hit a couple of stray reds after missing a long pot.

Do all the Scottish players wear tartan-backed waistcots?

Comment

And it's a 140 clearance. The gauntlet is well and truly down.

Comment

The acne-scarred Scot is back in again, after another Ronnie error, with another golden opportunity to knock in a ton.

Comment

Which he doesn't take.

Arse, people in the office now. B'bye, snooker.

Comment

King Mob wrote:
                                    And it's Hendry in first, looking composed as he builds a solid first-frame break after Ronnie hit a couple of stray reds after missing a long pot.

Do all the Scottish players wear tartan-backed waistcots?
                                    It's not a Scotland thing, it's all the players that Ian Doyle represents.

Comment

Ah, marvellous. It's a bank holiday, the semi-finals are on, and those wonderful Chinese fellows have supplied a link with commentary in English. I love snooker, me.

Comment

I remember Barry Pinches had a yellow and green backing on his waistcoat because he came from Norwich, but that's about the only other signifier I can recall. Is there some sort of snooker waistcoat code, a bit like the handkerchiefs in back pockets thing?

Comment

Dunno if Ronnie's pissed off about something or not, but he's just won all eight frames this morning...

Comment

Not just 8 in that session, but 11 in a row from having been 4-1 down he's now 12-4 up. The Virgo was eulagising that it's the best snooker he's ever seen.

Hard to disagree, he was awesome.

Hendry looked utterly stunned and if could keep this up the final would be over in 19 frames.

Comment

I'm worried for Ronnie if he wraps up his semi against Hendry tonight (which he will do if wins 5 of the 8 frames scheduled for the session). It means he'll have Saturday off, ahead of the final on Sunday, while his opponent (either Carter or Perry) is going to be playing match snooker tomorrow to win a semi-final.

Will it disturb his rhythm, I wonder, knocking around the practice tables for a day, with not much to do apart from going to pub and the bookies?

Comment

Bloody hell, I never thought I'd ever feel sorry for Stephen Hendry.

Comment

I had a phone call from the sponsors this morning, and I've won second prize in a competition I entered, and I've won tickets to next years semi and final. The guy on the phone wasn't sure what I'll see, but I'll get to see at least a days worth.

Comment

This Carter - Perry match is brilliant entertainment.

16-15, and on the last red. Some incredible misses and safety play. Fuck knows which way this one's going to go.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X