Victoria de Ciclismo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Victoria de Ciclismo

Just wanted to celebrate the arrival of cycling in the named list of sports, as campaigned for in otfpeloton threads of yore.

(/raises arms from handlebars, crosses line, salutes/)

Victoria de Ciclismo

Is this about Ms Pendleton?

Actually it's also appeared on the named sports on the left of the Beeb website which is either:

a) a sign of it's growing popularity or
    b) a sign that the beeb have some new sports rights.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

No, but if you would like to talk about the Track Worlds, please feel free.

Felicity was simplying celebrating the fact that those of us who like cycling (aka the OTF peleton) had long claimed that the sport should get a namecheck in the laundry list of non-football pursuits in the description of the "Sport" forum. That day arrived with the new board.

The last cycling thread on the old board was marvelling at Cancellara's win in Milan-San Remo after taking Tirenno-Adriatica and the Eroica in Tuscany. It will be interesting to see if he can keep up that form in the Spring Classics to come.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

I did wonder whether CSC might have had a go at keeping him in the hunt during the Tour last year. He was so dominant in the first week and obv he can TT. They used him up the first climb to drag Sastre then let him drop back to the autobus each day. Maybe he's too big but might have been interesting to see how close he could stay.

There were rumours he was going to have a go at Wiggins on the track for the olympics but I don't think he's been in the world cup to qualify has he?

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

I think he gave up on that, yeah, 'cause it would interfere with his training for the ITT.

I can't see him not winning the ITT, really. They might as well just give him a medal now.

Felicity was simplying celebrating the fact that those of us who like cycling (aka the OTF peleton) had long claimed that the sport should get a namecheck in the laundry list of non-football pursuits in the description of the "Sport" forum. That day arrived with the new board.
          Sod that. Not until we have our own "cycling" forum will the battle be complete. I can't believe the beta-testers didn't insist on it and, yes, I'm looking at you here, ursus.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

But surely the beta testers always come back positive in cycling!

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

This kid shows promise.

I'll take the rap for not bitching about the font, but pretty much all the other issues that people are griping about were raised in the beta.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

You asked for a OneTouchCycling forum on the front page? The admins will confirm this?

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

No.

Though I did specifically tell them not to give one to you.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

heh.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

So, while I think the British Track Programme is in general, very, very clean, am I alone in being profoundly unsure what to think about Rebecca Romero?

Sixth place for David O'Loughlin in the mens' pursuit. He's a friend of my sister's, and a thoroughly nice guy. This makes him very, very likely to go to the Olympics.

Then again, he's improved very, very rapidly since taking up the track. I have no reason to think he isn't clean, but since Cathal Lombard was a colleague of my Dad's - and also a very nice bloke - I can't help but be apprehensive.

How profoundly fucking depressing.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

There was a USA Today story Wednesday about Davis Phinney's kid trying to make the Olympic velodrome team in pursuit. And about how Davis can't follow his son to all his races because he has Parkinson's.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

Sorry to miss the Grand depart but I'm glad to be in the bunch having put in some work for Felicity's triumphant opening post.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

8 gold medals for Britain now. Chapeau to that lot eh? Wiggins and Cavendish in the Madison. Great stuff. It'd be brilliant if this talent could be translated into a British road team sometime in the future, similar to the way Telekom pushed German cycling forward in the 90's. These fellas could challenge some of the French road teams.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

The lap they gained was a truely extraordinary piece of sport to watch. Spine tingling.

Oh and Hoy makes it 9!

Brailsford has stated that the whole system is based on the Australian model that created the platform for all their current road riders. Would be nice to see something similar.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

I know David Duffield is always banging on about English speaking riders, but if you could imagine a British/Australian team it would be very impressive.
                                Mc'Ewan and Cavendish with Wiggins, O'Grady, Thomas, Millar (although I wouldn't select him) and Wegelius with Cadel Evans as team leader.
                                Personally I wouldn't like to see this. I like the fact Robbie McEwan rides for a Belgian team and is considered a Flemish rider by the locals. I also admire Wegelius queitly making his way with a professional Italian team.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

Would you include Welsh Magnus?

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

Big Magnus, of course.
                                    All this talk of Backstedt, O'Grady and Cancellara (his English is very good) has got me all excited about Paris Roubaix. Not long now.
                                    A friend lent me "The road to Paris" the other day. I think it's a 2002 video diary (courtesy of Nike) on Lance and his pals. It shows Hincapie failing again at Roubaix. He's too old now. I reckon Cancellara again.
                                    I was having a look at some Cervelo bikes last week. How sexy are they?

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

I'm not sure I could cope with Evans continuous moaning as team leader though! 'It wan't fair, they attacked me in the mountains! That made no sense!'

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

Yeah. Plus he has scary eyebrows.

We want a charismatic, likeable, and photogenic GC rider. Gotta be Mick Rogers.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

I ran over his foot once with my daughters buggy. 'No worries mate' was his pleasant and stereotypical response to my apologies!
                                          Not much of a claim to fame I grant you but 'tis all I can offer on the Mick Rogers front.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

That's a pretty good claim to fame though. Where did it happen? If it was at the start of a time trial then it's quite a story.
                                            Yeah I don't like Evans either, I was just putting him in as he seems the most likely GC contender, but I agree he's dropped for moaning and eyebrow crimes. So no Millar and no Evans. We're taking the scapel out good and proper here.
                                            First day of BST today and there were loads of roadies out this morning. A lovely sight indeed. I did see one bloke on a clunky old mountain bike with a Rapha soft shell jacket on. The jacket probably cost twice as much as the bike. Strange indeed.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

You can watch the madison and Pendleton's gold on the BBC's iPlayer - just watched it again just to see that lap gained again. Awesome stuff.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

Cheers Jorge, just watched it again. Well worth it!

Fausto it was in Wolverhampton before a stage of the Tour of Britain. I'm always amazed at the lack of segregation around cycling. I took a wrong turn walking down the Champs Elysee a couple of years ago and ended up amongst all the team coaches as they were lining up to do their laps of honour.

I'll whisper it quietly but I have a shameful amount of Rapha! To be fair I've never paid full price for anything. Their sales are extraordinary when they get the next years stock in.

Comment

Victoria de Ciclismo

Aha! What is the stuff like? It looks great, but it's hellish pricey.I really fancied buying one of those soft shell jackets which I could use for hill walking (which I do a lot of) as well as cycling. Unfortunately just as I was about to take the plunge I saw that they only had small jackets left. Scuppered.
                                                  I only ask about the quality because a friend of mine bought a jacket and he reckoned the tailoring wasn't up to much. I doubt if I'd notice sucha thing but there you go.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X