Talk about a Korea highlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yang Yong-Eun - 460th in the world, and with one previous significant professional win (the 2006 HSBC Tournament in Shanghai) pops up out of nowhere and wins the Honda Classic on the USPGA Tour, an invite to this years' Masters and nigh on $1m to go with it. If you could have found a bookie who'd even heard of him last Thursday, you'd easily have got 1,000-1.

Golf is mad like this. It must frustrate the players themselves as much as us fans. What can Y.E. have done differently last week to allow him to beat all the best golfers on the planet, when for most of the last two years he's been missing cuts? Will he remember, this week, when he tees it up at the World Golf Championship at Doral, and go on to win again? I doubt it.

Well blow me if he didn't go and win again, albeit five months later. Even so, Yang's only now risen to number 33 in the world, even after becoming a major champion, which betrays the fact that a lot of the time this season he's not even been making the cut. How anyone can just wake up one day and decide, "stuff all this missing putts nonsense, I think I'll go out and win a major championship instead", is beyond me.

Comment

Working...
    X