X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kugelrund
    replied
    Favourite sporting photos

The way the keeper and first slip are moving, it looks like it was going down leg side. Which might explain why the photo's cropped so tightly on the left - to avoid spoiling the effect of the photo.

Leave a comment:

• The Purple Cow
    replied

I hope Petherick smacked it uppishly through the covers for four.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied

Amazing story from Melbourne Arab on previous page. And some great photos here, I'd pay a lot of money for this book.

Here's Dennis Lillee bowling to NZ tail-ender Peter Petherick. This is not the only cricket photo with all the fielders in the slips, but it's the one that sticks in my mind.

Leave a comment:

• evilC
    replied

Derek Redmond, with his father helping him complete the 400m final, after his leg gave out for (I believe) the second Olympics in a row. For me, an iconic image.

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied

England win the World Cup and Will Greenwood looks to the heavens and his dead son (mawkish but great).

This creature is now a big wheel at the RFU.

Leave a comment:

• Havencheese
    replied

Gary Moorcroft, 2001 and the mark that virtually ruined his career after a heavy landing on his hip. Not the best 'print', but I do like the unhappy looking Doggies fan in the cardigan.

Michael O'Loughlin, 2006.

John Greening, 1972. Unconscious for 24 hours

Elvis 'Nicky' Winmar, 1993 following a barrage of racial taunts. Now iconic.

Leave a comment:

• dotmund
    replied

Leave a comment:

• evilC
    replied

Montreal goalie Jose Theodore wearing a toque on top of his helmet during the inaugural Heritage Classic game (played outdoors) in Edmonton in 2003. There were pictures of him steaming even more profusely, but sadly I can't find them right now.

Leave a comment:

• King On The Rye
    replied

Leave a comment:

• evilC
    replied

Again, probably not the greatest photo, technically-speaking, but the image of that moment will stay with me.

I like Kelly Holmes - she's really uncomplicated ...and that reaction was just great. Whatever you might think about athletics, that obvious elation at achieving something is the moment that surely all sportsmen and women live for and to see it expressed so openly - not coolly or in a contrived way - was just fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• evilC
    replied

Not great quality, but it's almost unreal - like a scene from a martial arts movie where the hero is outnumbered but... well, you just know what is going to happen.

Leave a comment:

• Wyatt Earp
    replied

Leave a comment:

• matt j
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mumpo
    replied

Excellent - I remember looking for this one of Gianluca Vialli awhile ago and only finding it as a tiny thumbnail. Now I've found a much better version on the BBC site.

Gianluca Vialli in Premiership action in 1996 during a 2-1 win against Man Utd at Old Trafford

Leave a comment:

• evilC
    replied

I once saw a painting of an 'imagined' moment from this battle in a magazine, but unfortunately I can't find a photo of it right now, so please forgive for posting a link to a moving image of it instead. GO - that one is also partly for you.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Ned Power, who died last year, the Waterford Goalie in the 1962 Munster semi-final against Cork. The best Hurling photograph by a country mile. That's the legendary Christie Ring just behind him.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I love that Black Power picture Kowalski posted. What’s often not appreciated is the role the Australian silver medallist, Peter Norman, played. Norman was not only very supportive of what Tommie Smith and John Carlos did it was who he suggested that they should wear black gloves and then joined them in wearing badges supporting the Olympic Project for Human Rights.

Sadly, Norman was vilified by the right wing media in Australia and descended into depression and alcoholism. He died two years ago. Both Smith and Carlos travelled to Melbourne for his funeral and were pall bearers.

Smith told Norman's family: "Peter Norman's legacy is a rock. Stand on that rock."
    Carlos said, "As we stand here thinking about Peter Norman, think about the courage of a man who said, 'I'm standing with you'."

He spoke of the hatred they knew would be directed at them. "Not every young white individual would have the gumption, the nerve, the backbone, to stand there."
    Carlos recounted the conversation they had before going out for the medal ceremony. They asked Norman if he believed in human rights. He said he did. They asked him if he believed in God. Norman, who came from a Salvation Army background, said he believed strongly in God.

"We knew that what we were going to do was far greater than any athletic feat. He said, 'I'll stand with you'." Carlos said he expected to see fear in Norman's eyes. He didn't. "I saw love. Peter never flinched (on the dais). He never turned his eyes, he never turned his head. He never said so much as 'ouch'. You guys have lost a great soldier." Carlos said that Norman deserved to be as well-known as Steve Irwin. "Go and tell your kids the story of Peter Norman."

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Flecha

Anquetil & Poulidor

Kelly

Leave a comment:

• Gerontophile
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Reed John
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Reed John
    replied

If we're going to be partisan..

And of course...

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied

There is another favourite JPR one of mine in his generic high-stepping running style that I can't find online.

There is also a prety famous one of Gareth Edwards diving full length to throw a pass which I love but can't find.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied

Leave a comment:

• The Purple Cow
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X