Favourite sporting photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not great quality, but it's almost unreal - like a scene from a martial arts movie where the hero is outnumbered but... well, you just know what is going to happen.

Comment

Again, probably not the greatest photo, technically-speaking, but the image of that moment will stay with me.

I like Kelly Holmes - she's really uncomplicated ...and that reaction was just great. Whatever you might think about athletics, that obvious elation at achieving something is the moment that surely all sportsmen and women live for and to see it expressed so openly - not coolly or in a contrived way - was just fantastic.

Comment

Comment

Montreal goalie Jose Theodore wearing a toque on top of his helmet during the inaugural Heritage Classic game (played outdoors) in Edmonton in 2003. There were pictures of him steaming even more profusely, but sadly I can't find them right now.

Comment

Comment

Gary Moorcroft, 2001 and the mark that virtually ruined his career after a heavy landing on his hip. Not the best 'print', but I do like the unhappy looking Doggies fan in the cardigan.

Michael O'Loughlin, 2006.

John Greening, 1972. Unconscious for 24 hours

Elvis 'Nicky' Winmar, 1993 following a barrage of racial taunts. Now iconic.

Comment

England win the World Cup and Will Greenwood looks to the heavens and his dead son (mawkish but great).

This creature is now a big wheel at the RFU.

Comment

Derek Redmond, with his father helping him complete the 400m final, after his leg gave out for (I believe) the second Olympics in a row. For me, an iconic image.

Comment

Amazing story from Melbourne Arab on previous page. And some great photos here, I'd pay a lot of money for this book.

Here's Dennis Lillee bowling to NZ tail-ender Peter Petherick. This is not the only cricket photo with all the fielders in the slips, but it's the one that sticks in my mind.

Comment

I hope Petherick smacked it uppishly through the covers for four.

Comment

The way the keeper and first slip are moving, it looks like it was going down leg side. Which might explain why the photo's cropped so tightly on the left - to avoid spoiling the effect of the photo.

Comment

Working...
                        X