Favourite sporting photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I expect we did this on the old board, but anyway, I've got a new favourite. It's Geoff Boycott "as you've never seen him before".

Hitting over the top during his famous 146 in the Gilette Cup Final. This must have been the greatest one day innings played by anyone for quite some time. Quite possibly until Graeme Pollock hit 211 not out in a one day game despite not coming in till the tenth over. A strange thought.

Victor Trumper:

Obviously a set-up photograph - I doubt that cameras of the age could zoom in that close from the boundary, and that's no pitch he's on, but a formidable sight nonetheless.

Comment

I liked Boycott as a player until he swapped his spectacles for contact lenses. It was at that exact point that tedium took hold.

Comment

Comment

Photos by Mike Patrick (speedway photographer since 1965 and still going strong)

This below was taken at Wimbledon Stadium, around 1973 I think.

and finally...this is what you look like if you don't get out in front - on a 'wet track'.

Comment

One of my indelible sporting memories, that one that Reed posted.

I am about ten years too young to have seen and remembered this:

Willie Mays of the New York Giants in Game 1 of the 1954 World Series at the Polo Grounds. Mays will catch the ball (hit by Vic Wertz of the Cleveland Indians) almost 450 feet from home plate, and then in a single balletic movement turn 180 degrees and hurl it to the infield (losing his cap in the process), thereby preventing Larry Doby from scoring, and the Indians from taking the lead.

Comment

I've always been partial to Clay knocking out Liston:

And the Philadelphia equivalent (the greatest Eagle ever, Chuck Bednarik, after he knocked out Frank Gifford of the NY Giants to win a game in 1960, the Eagles last championship season):

Comment

Wonderful stuff.

When did Boycott get contact lenses, Andy?

Here's a bit of Packer cricket. Who said it was vulgar?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

There is another favourite JPR one of mine in his generic high-stepping running style that I can't find online.

There is also a prety famous one of Gareth Edwards diving full length to throw a pass which I love but can't find.

Comment

Comment

If we're going to be partisan..

And of course...

Comment

Comment

Comment

Flecha

Anquetil & Poulidor

Kelly

Comment

I love that Black Power picture Kowalski posted. What’s often not appreciated is the role the Australian silver medallist, Peter Norman, played. Norman was not only very supportive of what Tommie Smith and John Carlos did it was who he suggested that they should wear black gloves and then joined them in wearing badges supporting the Olympic Project for Human Rights.

Sadly, Norman was vilified by the right wing media in Australia and descended into depression and alcoholism. He died two years ago. Both Smith and Carlos travelled to Melbourne for his funeral and were pall bearers.

Smith told Norman's family: "Peter Norman's legacy is a rock. Stand on that rock."
                                        Carlos said, "As we stand here thinking about Peter Norman, think about the courage of a man who said, 'I'm standing with you'."

He spoke of the hatred they knew would be directed at them. "Not every young white individual would have the gumption, the nerve, the backbone, to stand there."
                                        Carlos recounted the conversation they had before going out for the medal ceremony. They asked Norman if he believed in human rights. He said he did. They asked him if he believed in God. Norman, who came from a Salvation Army background, said he believed strongly in God.

"We knew that what we were going to do was far greater than any athletic feat. He said, 'I'll stand with you'." Carlos said he expected to see fear in Norman's eyes. He didn't. "I saw love. Peter never flinched (on the dais). He never turned his eyes, he never turned his head. He never said so much as 'ouch'. You guys have lost a great soldier." Carlos said that Norman deserved to be as well-known as Steve Irwin. "Go and tell your kids the story of Peter Norman."

Comment

Ned Power, who died last year, the Waterford Goalie in the 1962 Munster semi-final against Cork. The best Hurling photograph by a country mile. That's the legendary Christie Ring just behind him.

Comment

I once saw a painting of an 'imagined' moment from this battle in a magazine, but unfortunately I can't find a photo of it right now, so please forgive for posting a link to a moving image of it instead. GO - that one is also partly for you.

Comment

Excellent - I remember looking for this one of Gianluca Vialli awhile ago and only finding it as a tiny thumbnail. Now I've found a much better version on the BBC site.

Gianluca Vialli in Premiership action in 1996 during a 2-1 win against Man Utd at Old Trafford

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                  X