Crouching Tiger ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crouching Tiger ...

this thread could easily have been called "He's back".

After eight months out with injury, and (perhaps) a little extra time out to enjoy the birth of his second child earlier this month, the world's most dominant golfer of the last decade and arguably the most iconic sportsman since Muhammad Ali will be back at next week's WGC Matchplay Championship.

Although Woods has won this event several times in the past, it seems an odd one for him to launch a comeback at. 18-hole matchplay is a bit of a lottery, even for the greatest players, and furthermore, for a player hoping to gently come back from injury, the prospect of playing (potentially) 7 full rounds of competitive golf (more, if his matches go into extra holes) in 5 days seems a tough one.

I wonder what will be made of it if he goes out in the first round to the 64th-ranked player. Even Tiger on imperious form could suffer that upset on any given day, so it will be very hard to read too much into it. If he comes back and wins the thing, though ... wow. Look out, everyone else.

Crouching Tiger ...

Myself, I wouldn't compare him to Ali. Not even close. Maybe Michael Jordan in terms of being on many advertisments , but hardly any kid wants to be like Tiger. Every kid wanted to be Ali or Jordan. No one watches golf, anyway.

He may not even be the most iconic golfer of all time. I would say that would have to be Nichalus (spelling, I know.)

Comment

Crouching Tiger ...

oh, Tiger's beyond belief the most iconic golfer of all time. Would Gilette, thirty years ago, have had a worldwide advertising campaign based around Maradona, McEnroe, and Nicklaus, the way they do now with Henry, Federer and Woods? Would Nike have launched an entire product range with ads of young kids saying "I'm Jack Nicklaus", like their "I'm Tiger Woods" ads?

Comment

Crouching Tiger ...

I didn't realise Gillette adverts were so important.

Henry more iconic than Maradona?

Comment

Crouching Tiger ...

arguably the most iconic sportsman since Muhammad Ali

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Comment

Crouching Tiger ...

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
            oh, Tiger's beyond belief the most iconic golfer of all time. Would Gilette, thirty years ago, have had a worldwide advertising campaign based around Maradona, McEnroe, and Nicklaus, the way they do now with Henry, Federer and Woods?
            They showed those briefly in the US, but then they dumped Henry from them. Now it's just Tiger, and I think I've still seen ones with Federer. Probably less than 5% of the people watching had any idea who Henry was, and the first commercials with him showed highlights of his Arsenal career, even though he was with Barcelona.

Comment

Crouching Tiger ...

Unfortunately Tiger went out in round two, before getting the chance to be beaten by the Holywood Blockbuster.

Comment

Crouching Tiger ...

I always assumed that Arnold Palmer was the most iconic golfer of all time. Without him, golf as we know it would not exist. Also, in terms of marketing potential, before Woods was even born, Palmer was the first person to be signed up by Mark McCormack's agency.

In modern times it's obviously Seve.

Comment

Crouching Tiger ...

meregreen wrote:
                  I always assumed that Arnold Palmer was the most iconic golfer of all time. Without him, golf as we know it would not exist. Also, in terms of marketing potential, before Woods was even born, Palmer was the first person to be signed up by Mark McCormack's agency.

In modern times it's obviously Seve.
                  Arnold Palmer isn't modern? He wasn't out there hacking at the ball with a tree branch.

Comment

Working...
                  X