Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

setanta was once ireland's greatest warrior

i don't know what they've been teaching him down under

he can come home and join the strike now. or maybe play for mccarthy in a wind that shakes the barley scenario?

Setanta's been suspended indefinitely by Carlton pending an AFL investigation. Although it was just a practice match, it was being controlled by an AFL umpire and he has been officially reported. He's facing a huge ban but my guess is he'll be sacked anyway. Carlton's club psychologist was already dealing with Setanta over his "anger management issues." He's not a good enough player for them to waste all this time and effort on.

These are tough times for the AFL's Irish players. Tadgh Kennelly has just walked out on Sydney with a year left on his contract, Setanta's brother Aisake got delisted by Carlton last year as did Colm Begley at Brisbane, although he's since been rescued by St Kilda.

Comment

Setanta was a diving bastard when he played hurling for Cork -- his antics in the 2003 All-Ireland final against Kilkenny were a national disgrace.

He wasn't particularly renowned for random fits of massive violence back then though.

Tadhg Kennelly has come home because he fancies winning a football All-Ireland with Kerry. He might find it harder than he thinks to get a game.

Comment

I love the way the guys who were discussing it seemed to think the punch was fair play, but the kick was beyond the pale. Fucking animals game.

Comment

Barry Hall of Sydney got a 10 game ban last year for punching someone so it's not generally seen as fair play. As for "fucking animals game" these things are hardly unique to Aussie Rules:

Comment

This is what the Chief Football Writer of the Herald Sun said:

"He isn't the first bloke to whack a teammate, and whack him good, in training or an intra-club affair, but the subsequent kick was something else. While kicking an opponent is more acceptable in Irish culture than here, certainly less offensive than punching, this was a genuine kick up the clacker of an opponent face down on the turf."

Comment

Sorry, have I got this right -- they're more outraged about the harmless kick in the arse than the savage punches full in the face?

kicking an opponent is more acceptable in Irish culture than here
              Another faintly surreal statement, and one which I'm sure Peter Canavan, among others, will have enjoyed a good chuckle over if he read it.

Comment

Working...
              X