West Indies v England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Indies v England

Fucking hell. I get back from the pub to find out that the world's gone completely to rat-shit. And I can't see it. I hope you're enjoying Rupert's spunk Tubby...

Comment

West Indies v England

Taylor currently 5-11. I've thought before he was quite good, but what's happened? Did someone ping off his helmet he was batting?

I had a nap when we were merely 11-2, now this.

Comment

West Indies v England

Yeah, GO. Sky Sports have made this all possible.

This is worse than Gower's goons in 1985-6.

Comment

West Indies v England

Is it patronising of me to say I'm quite pleased for the West Indies about all this?

Of course, any sense that this indicates WI getting their act together could be undermined by the simple fact that England are getting worse by the series.

Comment

West Indies v England

Whilst he has a point, Nick Knight seems to have forgotten all about his own piss poor efforts against West Indies.

Comment

West Indies v England

Part of me is enjoying this for the Windies too.

They looked competitive in NZ, who aren't South Africa c1970, but are hard to beat at home. As I say, another batter who can stay in, as Nash seems to be able to do, could have a big positive effect.

Comment

West Indies v England

GO, at least sky don't fuck off to the news when the England captain is 299 not out, or 5 minutes before the end of the every morning session.

Comment

West Indies v England

Or miss England saving a test match v NZ for a first round match at Wimbledon.

Comment

West Indies v England

or go horse racing. both c4 and bbc used to do that.

Comment

West Indies v England

Or go to the shipping forecast 5 minutes before drinks in the morning session, for 5 minutes.

Comment

West Indies v England

E10 Rifle wrote:
                        I think this is probably enough to be a victory-founding score. Although Benn's bowled much better than Panesar has lately, the greater all-round accuracy of England's attack, plus the fact that the ball's not exactly coming on to the bat easily, should keep the West Indies batting becalmed.
                        Sorry about that.

Comment

West Indies v England

Woo hoo.

Yes WI Can.

Comment

West Indies v England

FIFTY-ONE?

FIFTY-ONE?

Did they ALL just want get to the pub to watch the Liverpool game, or something?

FIFTY-ONE?

These are the full-time England central contract professional cricketers we've been arguing should represent the country since we last won the Ashes.

I could guarantee that if they'd taken me, and ten of my mates from the pub, out to bat for an afternoon against that West indies "attack", we'd have got close to 51. Even if I'd opened the batting, and had had a few before going to the crease.

Comment

West Indies v England

That was pathetic.
                              but so pathetic, it was highly amusing.

WI might lose the series, but at least they put up one decent performance! Well done to them.

Comment

West Indies v England

I could guarantee that if they'd taken me, and ten of my mates from the pub, out to bat for an afternoon against that West indies "attack", we'd have got close to 51
                                Mind you, I think my football team would have managed to concede less than three to Liverpool today.

Comment

West Indies v England

for some reason I had you down as a spurs fan, but obviously not.

Comment

West Indies v England

The only team I don't mind England losing to is the Windies.

So I'm quite pleased really, I'm particularly pleased with Sulieman Benn, and of course Chris Gayle, the world's coolest cricket dude.

England looked like a team that just don't like each other. I think there is much we don't know about what is going on in the dressing room. I suspect it is pretty dramatic. I hope we get to find out.

Comment

West Indies v England

All my fault. With the wisdom of my years, I knew that complacent talk of "meandering to a draw" would inevitably trigger a batting collapse, and so after day three I put actual money on a win ... for England. After all, those West Indians, pressure's on, they grovel.

I'm looking forward to the books.

Comment

West Indies v England

The Purple Cow wrote:
                                        England looked like a team that just don't like each other.
                                        I think there is much we don't know about what is going on in the dressing room. I suspect it is pretty dramatic. I hope we get to find out.
                                        The thing is they've been here before!

England'll hammer somebody later this year, maybe even the Aussies and the 'world's greatest/worst' team label will continue.

Their main attribute is they seem to be Consistent at being Inconsistent! Which is a start.

Comment

West Indies v England

I can't remember the last time I felt so underwhelmed by an outsider pulling off such an overwhelming win. England were so bad that you wonder if some (all?) of them deliberately threw it to Cronje, Salim and Azhar's bookie.

England have had the same batting line-up since winter 05/06, with Cook, KP and Colly playing basically every game, and Strauss and Bell dropped for one series each- out of what, 12? Either Vaughan or Fred filled the last place when the other was out with long term injury.

During this period- long enough to be an era- all of them bar Pietersen have been assumed to be one or two innings away from the drop- yet the first five named have all played 40- 50 games. It's bizarre, especially when you think Strauss was recalled without playing any serious winter cricket at all. Even Fred managed a trot of seven successive beatings, admitttedly most against Australia.

Batsmen getting easier treatment from selectors is an old grumble- Alec Bedser used to joke that Francis Drake was the last bowler to get a knighthood. But maybe some of the old guard need to go the way of Plunkett, Mahmood etc., players who just weren't good enough for tests.

Anyone seen the B team recently?

Comment

West Indies v England

I am so glad I watched Ireland vs France, flicked over, saw the load of old tripe served up by England's cricket team and then turned back.

Bell must have used up his ninth life by now.

Comment

West Indies v England

Bad sporting day all round, with the French failing in Dublin, Irish League snowed off and Popeye Doyle's rabble lucky to get a draw with Hull.

I'd drop Bell and Panesar for the next game, Shah and Swann to play.

Comment

West Indies v England

WI might lose the series, but at least they put up one decent performance! Well done to them.
                                                Yes, on evidence of the first test, the West Indies had a lucky close one and the natural order of things shall re-establish itself with undue haste.

Speaking doctor, I really hope you were being humorous...

Comment

West Indies v England

G.Man wants a jihad wrote:
                                                  Yes, on evidence of the first test, the West Indies had a lucky close one and the natural order of things shall re-establish itself with undue haste
                                                  On the evidence of their last 30 tests (two wins), the West Indies are still a poor side. Our medical colleague isn't saying they were lucky this week, merely that they're more likely to continue to struggle than to blow even a piss-poor England away.

Comment

West Indies v England

I don't think it's fair to judge the Windies over the last 30 tests. The evidence is that under Gayle and the new coach there is new sense of purpose and discipline in a team that is being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

There is also the improved selection policy brought about by of all things, the Standford selection panel (different people, btw) who discovered, amongst others, Sulieman Benn, who had up till that time struggled to hold down a place in the Barbados side.

I think this Windies side is now way better than piss poor.

Their ground-fielding is still shit though, I'll grant you.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X