West Indies v England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Indies v England

Yeah, what was I thinking... how could anything be wrong with Herschelle "$15,000 for a game" Gibbs - Herschelle "fuck off back to the zoo" Gibbs. Glad he seems OK to you.
    Oh yes, what a good answer. Professional sportsman is trying to earn as much money as he can. What an utter cunt. Do you boo Ashley Cole at Stamford Bridge for being an even greedier, nastier cunt?

And you still didn't say what's wrong with Dale Steyn.

Comment

West Indies v England

At the last world cup Eric and Pete found the Saffers to be very distant and non-communicative, especially compared to the Aussies who were very cheerful and sociable (with the exception of their terminally grumpy Brummie).

Comment

West Indies v England

I strongly suggest you google "Herschelle Gibbs $15,000".

Steyn is renowned as being the, uh, "boorish ignorant cunt" par excellence, much like Kallis is renowned as one of the most selfish cricketers in the modern game (behind only, of course, BC Lara). Now, you can live on in some fantasy world where Kallis is a cracking entertainer, Steyn is a likeable, friendly bloke, KP is the most evil thing to ever crawl out of Natal, and no SAffer ever took money to throw a game, but that isn't the world the rest of us inhabit.

Comment

West Indies v England

I'm not aware of Steyn being a boorish cunt. Are you sure you're not confusing him with the cartoonish André Nel? Or do you have some evidence?

As for Gibbs, I see what you're referring to. You'll hold a serious lapse in judgment by a very unintelligent man acting under the the pressure of influence of a manipulative captain against him. Even when he didn't keep his side of the bargain and scored 74, and even after he tearfully admitted to and apologised for his transgression? I think that says more about you and your irrational hatred of South African cricketers than it says about Gibbs.

TPC, they might have acted disappointingly in that instance, but from all I know about the team (and as was borne out by the players' conduct in Australia), that seems to have been out of character rather than a pattern of behaviour.

Comment

West Indies v England

Do you boo Ashley Cole at Stamford Bridge for being an even greedier, nastier cunt?
            Would it be a bad thing if the answer to that question was "yes"? That seems to be what you're implying.

Steyn seems OK, I'll grant you. Smith never has though.

And it's no longer really possible to take the phrase "lapse in judgment" seriously, when applied in the defence of a public figure, so common and cliched has it become.

Comment

West Indies v England

Would it be a bad thing if the answer to that question was "yes"? That seems to be what you're implying.
              No it isn't.

Comment

West Indies v England

You're also ignoring the other part of Raskolnikov's criticism of Gibbs, G-man.

I really like watching Gibbs, but that's pretty horrible stuff. As bad as what Darren Lehmann said, I reckon. And I've had no time for Lehmann since, despite many team-mates queuing up to say waht a sound bloke he is.

Comment

West Indies v England

Yeah, OK, Gibbs is a cunt.

That out of the way, will Raskolnikov back up his charge of Steyn being regarded as a boorish cunt?

Comment

West Indies v England

"TPC, they might have acted disappointingly in that instance, but from all I know about the team (and as was borne out by the players' conduct in Australia), that seems to have been out of character rather than a pattern of behaviour."

Yep, in retrospect I'm sure you're right, maybe they were under instructions not to fraternize with the opposition.

Mauritz had been drinking with Smith and Boucher the night he died, and he was a seriously nice bloke - I can't see him cavorting with cunts.

Eric and Pete will be playing against England at Lord's this summer. Try as I might I can't get my head round that fact. Two blokes I know and drink beer with, will be playing cricket against england at lord's. Mind-blowing.

I keep trying to get Pete to start posting on OTF rather than just lurking.

IT would be kind of cool to have an OTFer telling us about playing at Lord's and what it's like to play in a World Cup and stuff.

Comment

West Indies v England

Hello Pete the Cricketing Lurker. If you're reading this, TPC is right. That would be very cool indeed. A bit like the Melody Maker gang entertaining us with their exploits in the music scene.

Comment

West Indies v England

It's what I hear from people involved in the game, G-Man - a bit like TPC reports that he hears the SA team as a whole are rather standoffish and unlikeable. This is hardly news, though - this team has had exactly that reputation for quite a long time. Your insistence that criticism of the SA team or individual players is an act of hatred does rather make the exercise of discussing any aspect of their cricket with you somewhat, well, pointless.

On a (presumably Flintoff-hating) note, there was an interesting-ish article in the Grauniad re. England's record with & without Flintoff t'other day. Was slightly simplistic, I thought, but our Freddie does escape an awful lot of criticism by virtue of being, well, our Freddie. Certainly, from the '05 Ashes, to the WC, to the recent Moores-KP debacle, he's hardly played the most inspiring role in England's steady decline (and still doesn't take enough wickets). The most puzzling aspect of the whole affair, for me, is Fletcher's apparent refusal to replace him with Strauss as captain for the '05 Ashes because of, essentially, his media profile. From someone who paid so little attention to extra-'bubble' matters, it is rather uncharacteristic and probably represents the first serious mistake Fletcher made as England coach. I know if it came to a straight choice between KP & Freddie, I would no longer automatically opt for the latter.

Comment

West Indies v England

Ugh, Gatting has just been on the radio explaining the 51 in terms of the IPL.

Comment

West Indies v England

It's what I hear from people involved in the game, G-Man - a bit like TPC reports that he hears the SA team as a whole are rather standoffish and unlikeable. This is hardly news, though - this team has had exactly that reputation for quite a long time. Your insistence that criticism of the SA team or individual players is an act of hatred does rather make the exercise of discussing any aspect of their cricket with you somewhat, well, pointless.
                            No, calling somebody a boorish cunt without giving an example why he is one surely merits a request for further explanation. And you'll have to do much better than referring to vague unnamed sources. It's the OTF way.

I'm quite prepared for people expressing their dislike for the SA team. But yours is irrational. I mean, knock yourself out hating SA's cricket team. I hate Chelsea or Liverpool on grounds that are irrational. But when you call people "boorish cunts" and then refuse to back it up with any information, then the fault for pointlessness in cricketing discourse resides firmly with you.

Comment

West Indies v England

The only irrationality here is yours, I'm afraid. I went to great (perhaps even tedious) lengths (on OTF Gold) to provide a statistical basis for both my assertion that Pollock, while very good, did not belong in the very top tier of fast bowlers (which is hardly hatred, even from the most jaundiced viewpoint), and that Kallis is a selfish (and boring) cricketer (which is hardly an unusual opinion). And, of course, my "boorish cunt" comment was a direct reference to - quotation of, even - your own hatred of anything and everything to do with a certain Kevin Pietersen. There is simply no basis for asserting that I 'hate SA cricket' - and certainly you have not come close to making a coherent argument to demonstrate that (which, uh, one might say is the OTF way). The record is clear; I've substantiated throughout, but regardless of that you dismiss everything as 'hatred'. I'd say it was 'one-eyed', but that seems to be a naughty term right now, so I'll just settle for calling it pitiful.

Comment

West Indies v England

No, you did not substantiate your comment about Steyn. Referring to your notions about Kallis or Pollock is entirely meaningless.

I have stated my reason for disliking Pietersen. Those are reasons you might not agree with, but they are at least reasons.

Calling somebody else a boorish cunt and then three pages later saying: "I called him a cunt because you called a certain Kevin Pietersen a cunt" is lacking in intellectual rigor.

Why don't you show us why Steyn is a boorish cunt or admit that you have no idea what you are saying, instead of making a royal fool of yourself.

Comment

West Indies v England

I'm not going to waste any more of my time with you, G-Man. I've detailed - sometimes at great length - the various reasons for the posts I have made. Whatever I say, and however detailed an argument I deploy, your single, invariable, unbending, response is to shout it down as the product of my supposed hatred of South African cricket; it is not so much a broken record as a catechism of denial. It has become abundantly clear that there is no point discussing cricket with you as your response to anything you disagree with is violent ad hominem nonsense. Whether this is because of cricketing ignorance, debating incompetence, or Proteas passion - and I imagine it is a combination of all three - I no longer care.

Oooh, it's snowing. My snowman from last week is just surviving. There is hope yet.

Comment

West Indies v England

Could be an interesting second test, if these reports are anything to go by. Almost sounds as if it should be called off.

Comment

West Indies v England

I've detailed - sometimes at great length - the various reasons for the posts I have made.
                                      Except for why you called Steyn a "boorish cunt". It's a very reasonable and simple request that you back your statement up. For all your flapping around referring to old posts about Jacques Kallis, you still won't give away why you you called Steyn a "boorish cunt". And you're too embarrassed to admit that you were talking plain shit.

"violent ad hominem nonsense". You are joking, right?

You're really not cutting a very good figure here.

Comment

West Indies v England

Agnew, BBC Sport: 'They say that Antigua has 365 beaches - one for every day of the year. The Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in North Sound was clearly designed with a leap year in mind because this is Antigua's 366th beach.'

Andrew McGlashan, cricinfo: 'Antigua is famous for its 365 beaches, but there is enough sand on the outfield of the Sir Vivian Richards stadium to ensure they have one extra for a leap year.'

Comment

West Indies v England

Selvey, Guardian: 'Antigua prides itself on its beaches. There are, it is always touted in the holiday ­brochures, 365 of them, one for every day of the year. Then for good measure, they built the Sir Viv Richards Stadium, with an outfield so golden sandy that they now have leap year covered.'

Comment

West Indies v England

Highly amusing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tony Crozier was the source of the original quip.

I haven't heard a single positive word about this ground since it was built.

Comment

West Indies v England

England bring in Shah for Bell (hurrah, hope he gets a decent run) and Anderson for Harmison (meh).

The X-man is rather unlucky to be dropped from the Windies side, replaced by Ryan Hinds.

Windies bowl first, which I think is probably a mistake. Not just because of the general thing that it's better to bat first, but I reckon England's batsmen are desperate to put things right and making them stew for a day+ in the field would really have turned the screw on them.

Comment

West Indies v England

I think Gayle took a long look at the pitch and decided that he had no desire to bat on it.

Boycs correctly pulling up whichever ECB twat was just being interviewed by Aggers (think it was Morris) for saying that 'Bell's not been in good form, but I'm sure he will be back'.

Comment

West Indies v England

This ground is just not ready for Test cricket. I'll be surprised if we get through five days without one bowler doing an ankle.

Comment

West Indies v England

And three balls in, Taylor has to give up going over the wicket because of the footing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X