Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Indies v England

Hey, Thom, nice PhD action, mate.

Windies will be wishing Benn was playing. It would have been quite something to pick only 2 pace bowlers though. It's not making for very thrilling cricket but part of me would admire the Windies a lot if they could pull off this trick of defensive bowling and having 7 batters.

Comment

West Indies v England

Gayle gets another hundred - I'm really warming to him as a cricketer - then limps off injured, in an increasingly crock-prevalent week for Test cricket.

Then Monty gets Simmonds and they're 203-4. Interesting. Monty's bowled better today than I've seen him for about a year.

Comment

West Indies v England

Aye, much more variation from Monty. Apparently he hit 68 mph with a beamer this afternoon.

It was much better all round cricket than yesterday's, and more entertaining than much of the Barbados game. Although England have been ragged at times: absurd sledging (Amjad), daft appeals (no prizes), teapot tantrums (Swann), sloppy fielding (even Colly and Strauss) and poor old baldie Prior's had a 'mare. Even allowing for Amjad's leg-side wildness, far too many mistakes. A ton of extras here is an outside possibility.

They saved the follow on in the 89th over. Four byes, fittingly.

Comment

West Indies v England

It looked to me like a couple of quicker balls from Amjad last night were chucks but no-one else has picked up on this. So ignore me while I blithely start rumours on the internet that could ruin a young man's career.

But did anyone else think so?

Comment

West Indies v England

The BBC text commentary noted that the TMS team suggested something towards the end of the innings, so you're not alone.

Comment

West Indies v England

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
              It looked to me like a couple of quicker balls from Amjad last night were chucks but no-one else has picked up on this. So ignore me while I blithely start rumours on the internet that could ruin a young man's career.

But did anyone else think so?
              The Sky commentators did. Also back in the studio Bob Willis said that 20 years ago he would probably have been called for chucking, but with the changes in the law - he's ok.

On a related note, The Netherlands' fast-bowling coach Ian Pont says that he has demonstrated that using the maximum bowling elbow flexion now allowed, you can bowl in excess of 90 mph off a six pace run-up.

Comment

West Indies v England

So, do England fling the bat for the rest of the day and tomorrow morning and declare leaving the West Indies something like 2 and a bit sessions to score 180, and risk losing 2-0 or just accept that they don't have good enough bowlers to dismiss the Windies cheaply on flat pitches.

Comment

West Indies v England

I'm a tyro at such calculations, but would think that they would want quite a bit more than 180.

Comment

West Indies v England

Was thinking more like 300, but would be hard pressed to set that up in less than a day. And more so, could they take 9 or 10 wickets in a similar time-scale?

Comment

West Indies v England

Comment

West Indies v England

I would think to have any chance England will have to tempt the Windies into going for the 2-0.

My guess is they'll be looking to bat for a maximum of 40 overs. If they can maintain a run rate of 5/over they may be able to declare even earlier. A total of 250 in something around 50 overs may just tempt their more adventurous batsmen into recklessness. They have to give them a chance of the victory.

Comment

West Indies v England

ursus, they'd obviously want more than 180, but I think they have to give themselves at least a few overs before lunch as well as two sessions to win it. After yesterday evening, I guess they might be able to set 230.

Comment

West Indies v England

I think they need to get them in before lunch too to have a chance of winning.

How mindful should Strauss be of the ladder thing they have that takes into account all test matches? And how does the ladder itself work? Does it make much difference to lose 2-0 compared with 1-0?

Comment

West Indies v England

England need to play a Twenty/20 game this morning, and score around 110-120 more. That will leave the Windies around 200 to win off about 65 overs. Any more than that and the Windies will just shut up shop and bat out for the draw. They might do that anyway, but if they are tempted enough you just never know.

As Tubby said, England need to get the Windies in before lunch so their openers have to start twice.

Mind you if Fidel can bowl as brilliantly as he did last night, England will be lucky to make another fifty - in which case good luck to him. Watching him last night was like going back to the 1980's

Comment

West Indies v England

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                How mindful should Strauss be of the ladder thing they have that takes into account all test matches? And how does the ladder itself work? Does it make much difference to lose 2-0 compared with 1-0?
                                Not at all. The future tours program and associated league table, if ever really taken seriously, won't be for much longer. Everyone's skint, Pakistan's a pariah, Lanka a war zone, India affected by association and its own terrorism. England, Australia and South Africa have their own problems with security, the Windies are as ever best by regional factions and nobody watches in NZ. Bangladesh would struggle to beat Ulster country, etc. etc.

More immediately, heroic defeat if it happens has to be better than dull draw. England must go for it and give themselves 60 overs to bowl the Windies out.

Comment

West Indies v England

Assuming plan now is to declare at lunch to avoid losig the 10 minutes/2 over change around.

Comment

West Indies v England

Oh dear.

Comment

West Indies v England

Interesting.

Comment

West Indies v England

Hmmm. 85-5, and Gayle presumably only to bat at 11?

Comment

West Indies v England

Gayle in at 90 for 6, though Hinds wasn't out.

Comment

West Indies v England

109 for 8, 3 overs left.

'Edge of your seat stuff'.

Comment

West Indies v England

114 for 8 match drawn.

Prior drops a catch on the second ball of the last over.

England were too cautious with their declaration (again). But you can't take the glory away from Joe Cool tonight - he's injected some real toughness and discipline into this Windies side.

Comment

West Indies v England

Woo hoo. With very much the emphasis on the wooooooo.

Comment

West Indies v England

Just watched the prize-giving and post-mortem on Sky. Baldie Prior got MoM after conceding 52 (fifty-two) byes. I suppose to be charitable, that's not where the game slipped away. They had 25 odd overs to get four wickets.

Anyway, magnificalypso.

Comment

West Indies v England

Good finish. Can I ask, do people think the placid pitches that have led to draws in the last three games were prepared for tactical reasons with the West Indies ahead in the series, or because the groundsmen overdid it on the other side, fearing notoriety after the first Antigua game? Or perhaps it's a non-issue, afterall, there was almost a result in two of these games.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X