Questions for OTF's ice hockey experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are two extended "official" TV breaks per period I think. I'm not sure how long they are, probably only a minute but it seems longer especially when you're at the game. They sweep the ice, goalies go to the bench, there's a rush for more beer and everyone has to listen to Blitzkreig Bop.

Comment

It always feels to me as if the Rangers have more than two a period, but that may be just because of the associated nonsense that Amor describes so well.

Comment

There's a lot more nonsense than just Blitzkrieg Bop - the kiss cam, the dance cam, the racing fish on the elctronic displays on the facade of the upper deck, the pizza give away, the t-shirt cannon, etc, etc,

The Bruins and Caps (at least) also now have cheerleaders of a sort - they are young, fit women in tight, yet tasteful, team colors, that do...I don't know what they do. They are "ambassadors for the club" or something. They go around the crowd and get their asses grabbed by drunks, I imagine, but other than that it's not clear.

In the upper midwest, high schools and college have cheerleaders who skate. They do a little routine before and/or between periods. During the game. They sit in the aisles and do a little number or lead a cheer during breaks just like you'd see at a college or high school basketball game. At that level, it's sort of charming and Americana. But at the NHL level, it feels all wrong.

Comment

They don't do any of that stuff here. The ice-sweepers are young, female and dressed in tight-fitting clothes and there are kids' mini-games between periods but that's about it.

Comment

They don't play music during the breaks?

My Minnesotan friend and I, with whom I've been to many games, like to try to predict the "set list" for the days game.

The kids minigame between periods should be mandatory. Great entertainment.

Comment

Oh yeah they play music, but, other than that it doesn't get much tackier than the mascot tossing gifts into the crowd with a toy cannon. Sometimes they have a "score-from-the-centrespot-and-win-a-car" competition. There's not a lot of need for glitter and gimmicks when you sell out every game.

Comment

I don't know if that crap sells tickets for anyone. The Caps have tried lots of gimmicks over the years but the only thing that has managed to fill the building is Ovechkin and a team contending for a top seed.

Comment

I was a little surprised recently to hear the Kings of Leon's "Sex on Fire" during a Flyers game.

Comment

I've observed that the first few bars of "Tom Sawyer" by Rush seems to be a popular choice in the east, but never in Minnesota.

Comment

Great thread this, very useful for me. It seems like a lot of coaches manage to fuck this up, and incur penalties for too many players on the ice, which is them trying to be too clever I suppose.

There are time-outs for TV in Finland, and they usually play adverts. I'll try to dig out a link to the main one, it's a classic of iskelmä-lapland imagery.

Comment

It seems like a lot of coaches manage to fuck this up, and incur penalties for too many players on the ice, which is them trying to be too clever I suppose.

It can be the player's fault too. Hotdogging forwards extending a shift a few seconds too long. A pinching or tired defenceman caught up ice. But, you're right, whatever the reason it's usually the coach who takes the heat. Overall, given the number of on-ice changes in the modern game, I'm surprised there aren't more "too many men" calls. I don't have the stats but I'd be surprised if it works out to more than one every couple of games.

Comment

Working...
                        X