Brave, Honest, yet mistaken Matt Stevens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignorant punter spots double standards shock; not being much of a rugby fan I nearly puked this evening listening to an interview with one of Matt Stevens team mates on radio 5. "What a great bloke", "mistakes have been made", "such amazing bravery", "such honesty". excuse me. I can't help thinking that the coverage of an England footballer in a similar predicament might just be handled a little differently. "Appalling role model" "Indicative of the attitude and greed at the top level of English football" would be closer to the line taken. Why the softly, softly? Why no questioning of Rugby club culture?

There was a truly bizarre interview with some suit from Bath Rugby Club on the BBC this morning.

He went on and on about he he felt let down by the player, how his team mates had been let down, how the club had been humiliated and how the fans had been let down. He then finished his diatribe with "But I'm afraid until I know more about this situation I can't really comment!"

Comment

I'm impressed that Rugby Union has such a swingeing intolerance to recreational drug use. They're talking a two-year mandatory ban for Stevens, for what would appear to be (and, I stress, no-one knows anything for certain at this stage) him doing a bit of coke. The player himself has admitted to a "problem" with a drug, and as he weighs about 23 stone it can't possibly be heroin.

Rio Ferdinand got 8 months off (3 of which were in the close season anyway) for failing to take a drugs test, when the rumour mill had it that he knew it would show something up, and a lot of people inside football said that it was ridiculous that a player should get a longer ban for not being tested, than he would have got if he'd just done the test and been found out.

Rugby probably does need to have stricter rules, though. An England prop ripped to his tits on coke would be something to behold, a behemoth that even Stan Lee couldn't have dreamt up.

Comment

Comparing this with Ferdinand is a bit of a waste of time (especially if you're going to start introducing rumour as your evidence). Mutu got 7 months, Bosnich got 9 both for getting caught with coke in their systems. That would be a better comparison.

Whether a 9-ish month ban or a 2 year ban is a more proportionate punishment is the question.

Comment

Rogin, I think we've seen what an England prop ripped off his tits on coke looks like, he was the one being bent in half by the bloody AUSTRALIAN scrum recently.

He's a silly sod with a problem. This doesn't mean he should be chucked on the scrapheap as some have suggested, he should be helped over it and allowed to get his life back on track. He's not the first rugby player to get done for coke; Wendell Sailor, former Aussie winger was, so was ex-Quins USA winger Jason Keyter. And Ben Tune was banned for a year for drug offences (everyone puts it down to steroids being masked by recreational drugs in some way).

And now, thanks to him, England have to call on Julian fucking White! Jesus, I saw Jason Leonard in the Quins' Members' Bar the other day, he's put on a bit of weight but I'm sure he's available, or how about Stack Stevens? It's a pretty poor show that England, once famous for producing tight five players in a conveyor belt fashion, are now having to resort to a player who even in his prime couldn't nail a starting posiiton at tighthead, nor can we find a baby-eating lock! At least when we were shit in the old days, you could say the pack had given the opposition a hard time of it, now we can't even say that!

WELLS, FORD AND CALLARD OUT!

Comment

Eggchaser wrote:

And now, thanks to him, England have to call on Julian fucking White! Jesus, I saw Jason Leonard in the Quins' Members' Bar the other day, he's put on a bit of weight but I'm sure he's available, or how about Stack Stevens? It's a pretty poor show that England, once famous for producing tight five players in a conveyor belt fashion, are now having to resort to a player who even in his prime couldn't nail a starting posiiton at tighthead,
            England hardly "produced" Matt Stevens either.

Comment

Though they may have made him what he is today . . .

Comment

Oddly, I find myself a bit of an expert on this all of a sudden.

I can't help camparing it to Leon Jeanne who played for Cardiff City for a while and was helped a reasonable amount by the club - giving him a couple of chances and letting (maybe paying) go to rehab. Harri, PBF etc will know better.

It seems as though Bath aren't going to be as lenient although this may have as much to do with Stevens going to Sky to announce this without informing the club beforehand.

Anyway, the reason that Bath players are sticking by him is, not that he was the one who was taking anything but that he was the one that got caught. Allegedly

Comment

Mike Tindall got done for drink-driving recently, but there seems to be no clamour for him to be given a hefty ban and shamed in the media, despite the fact that his actions were potentially a lot more harmful to the general public than Matt Stevens sniffing coke in a pub toilet.

Surely to god the media aren't going easy on Tindall just because he is throwing it into Princess Anne's daughter. I can't believe for a second that the English rugby press would act in such a fashion.

Comment

Working...
                  X