The Unofficial thread of the 2008/9 NHL Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There will be much to say on the Kanuxx Komedy Klub later — How do you spell Sundin kiddies? R-E-T-I-R-E.

But for now a note of more general interest. Last night's heartbreaker in San Jose — 1-0 up with 40 seconds left, final score 1–2... gaack! — featured the return of that doyen of the cheap shot artists Claude Lemieux playing for the Sharks. He's been retired for six years which means, luckily for him, most of the innumerable players looking for his number have gone too. He did OK too by his standards, butt end to the gut when the play was against the boards, crosscheck in the back of a player leaving the ice. Classic Lemieux stuff. Can't wait till he comes up against Chelios, geezer-rumble on ice.

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
    Can't wait till he comes up against Chelios, geezer-rumble on ice.
    I didn't know they made zimmer frames with blades on.

Comment

If they don't now they'll need to, their combined age is 90.

Comment

Lemieux???? I totally missed this development.

I see he warmed up for his comeback by playing a cuple of games in Shanghai in the Asian Ice Hockey League. This is an under-used route into the NHL, I reckon.

Comment

No Kidding. I think they're a San Jose farm team too, it can't be a coincidence they're the Shanghai Sharks.

Lemieux's stated reason for returning to the NHL is darkly amusing, he wanted his kids to see him play, Ah....:

"Gee Dad that sneaky elbow that took out the guy's lower teeth was really neat. Can't wait till I learn how to do that."

Comment

He played for the Worcester Sharks. Is the team in China also called the Sharks?

Comment

Yes

Comment

The club team that Yao Ming played for in China was called the Shanghai Sharks.

I had no idea that there was a professional ice hockey league in Asia.

Comment

I knew there was one in Japan that might include some teams in Korea and outer Mongolia or whatever that bit up there is called. I didn't know about any other.

Are you sure that's a professional team there? That photo makes them look like a men's Sunday morning league team that somehow got nicer uniforms.

Comment

Yes it's a different club now, they apparently became the China Sharks a couple of years back here's their Wiki page.

Comment

The Wiki page has a mistake. Their logo is not identical to the old Cleveland Baron's logo. That logo had a shart wearing a top hat, tails an a monocle.

Comment

Did you edit it?

Coincidently I just picked up theVancouver Sun and there's a full page interview with Wade Flaherty of the China Sharks on what it's like playing and coaching in Asia. It includes serious My Sharona poisoning apparently.

Comment

Flaherty?

Looking at that Wiki page, I see Steve McKenna is also on the team. Didn't they both play for the Senators at one time?

Comment

I don't know about McKenna but Flaherty was your classic 'suitcase' back-up goalie. Played for half a dozen or more NHL organizations at one time or another, sometimes only for a month or so. He'd be the guy you'd pick up if your number one was out injured for any length of time, then let go afterwards. To good for the minors but not quite sharp enough to be a starter for very long. I think he ended his NHL career with your lot (after being traded to them by my lot.)

Comment

Working...
                            X