Arguably the most exciting men's tennis Grand Slam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally, after the longest ever men's singles match in the Australian Open, Verdasco double faults, and Nadal scrapes through.

Comment

That's a fucking tennis match!

Comment

I was exhausted just watching that. It's surely given Federer a big advantage for tomorrow night. It doesn't seem right that the number 1 seed gets a day less off before the final.

Comment

Yeah, but it's a case of one player gets three days, the other two, rather than two and one. It's not easy for the seeding committee to predict at the start of the event which semi is going to be tougher, and there will always be one side of the draw with a day fewer between rounds, as R1 is played over two days. Federer got the extra day as he happened to be in the same half of the draw as Djokovic, who opened the event as defending champ.

Comment

It would seem to make more sense to play both the men's semis on the same day, though - that way nobody gets an extra day's rest between consecutive matches (unless their game takes two days for some reason).

Comment

Janik wrote:
              The women's game is in the doldrums at the moment, isn't it? Very few of the top players really convince
              Another terrible women’s final last night. Safina served 3 double faults in her first service game and then only managed to win 4 more points in the remainder of a 22 minute set. She improved a bit in the second but it was all over in less than an hour. During her victory speech, Serena thanked Safina for “putting on a great show for women’s tennis.” I don’t suppose she was being smart but the crowd laughed anyway.

Serena is now 7th on the all time grand slam singles title list:

1 Margaret Court 24
              2 Steffi Graf 22
              3 Helen Wills Moody 19
              4= Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert 18
              6 Billie Jean King 12
              7 Serena Williams 10

Comment

Looking at that list, I realise how good Steffi Graf was. Not that I needed convincing, but looking at those stats took me by surprise.

I've just placed the largest bet I've ever placed on an individual sports contest, by backing Federer to beat Nadal in the mens final. Not that I needed any added interest in the game.

Comment

Nadal has just taken a somewhat see-sawing first set after a quite astonishing winning rally.

Comment

If Nadal had held his serve in that second set to go 4-2 up, I would have been tempted to put money on him. Now, he looks weary after losing the set. Federer to win in 4.

Comment

To hell with Djokovic and Murray, these two should play every grand slam final. Nadal served at 4-4, 0-40 and won the game. He faced more break points at 5-5 and saved them.

He's won the tie break to go 2 sets to 1 up. This could be a very long night.

Comment

Fuck's sake Roger, come on.

How much fucking EPO is Nadal on.

Comment

Somebody in the crowd is holding up a "Rafa just got Rogered" sign.

This is why this is better than Wimbledon.

Comment

A 7 deuce game at 2-2 on the Federer serve. He survives and then breaks immediately.

Nadal deserves to win this but I can't see it now.

Comment

Bollocks. Two match points for Mr. Towels.

Comment

He's bottled them both. Back to the towels.

Comment

Power beats skill again.

Shit.

Comment

I like Federer but Nadal clearly deserved that. There's no doubt now who the best player in the world is. Could Nadal win all 4 slams before Federer? You'd think he's more likely to win in New York than Federer is in Paris.

To dismiss Nadal as being just power is ludicrous. He's not Boris Becker or Goran Ivanisevec.

Comment

I don't believe it - Roger's broken down again! He can't even makes his speech this time.

Comment

Fantastic tennis from the boys again. Unfortunately it ended with Federer blowing up in the last set, but it was great tennis up til then. Nadal is remarkable. It doesn't seem to matter how well his opponent plays, he's always capable of producing the most stunning shots at any point in a match. There were occasions when Federer had found his rhythm and was dominating the plays, but Nadal could just fire a winner from the baseline. He has some mental fortitude to boot, as he looked like he'd almost forgotten how tired he was. Equally decisive was how Federer amassed far too many unforced errors.

Federer was a broken man at the end. I think he now believes that he can do no more and that Nadal is now unbeatable.

Comment

Yes, he looked palpably crushed.

There was at least one rally in which Nadal prevailed from having been pinned back behind the baseline which was out of this world.

Comment

There were times where it was like watching a table tennis match where the players are yards away from the table itself. Some of the shots were just stunning. There's no such thing as a lost cause for either, but not only do they get it back, they chase lost causes and return them as winners. Astonishing stuff. I feel really priveliged to be watching these two slug it out; on the BBC they were saying it was like the early 70s Ali vs Frasier/Foreman era and it certainly feels like that in men's tennis now.

Comment

Nadal seems to have the stamina and limitless energy of a top Tour de France rider doesn't he?

Cough.

Comment

Nadal called for the trainer after game seven [in the third set] and had treatment on his right thigh,
                                                cough, cough.

I don't believe for one moment that Nadal is being injected with Monkey drugs, but it's funny that Euro cycling fans have always said that of Armstrong, yet would defend Nadal against any similarly ridiculous accusations. Flex those muscles, monkey-boy.

Comment

i have no idea whether rafael nadal is on drugs, though i hope not because i love him. however, it's plainly obvious that he's a better natural athlete than federer, so it's hardly pull-out-your-eyeballs astonishing that he's usually stronger in the fifth.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X