• Show
Clear All

Heart Attack And Vine

David Vine has died.

Heart Attack And Vine

Round of applause for the title!

Comment

Heart Attack And Vine

I always associate him with the BBC's snooker coverage, and I assumed he was still doing it, but he apparently retired in 2000.

Comment

Heart Attack And Vine

Thread title of the year so far, perhaps of the decade.

He managed to come across as smug whilst presenting Ski Sunday; mind you it might not have been a reflection on him, probably just the subject matter.

He also presented the first 'It's a Knockout' from New Brighton in the days when it was still considered a resort. I can't see a blue plaque being erected there to commemorate this event anytime soon, however.

No doubt with the snooker being on at the mo there'll be some mildly insightful tribute courtesy of the Beeb.

Comment

Heart Attack And Vine

Yes, superb thread title.

Let's be honest we've all got them lined up - personally I'm waiting for Simon or Grafunkel to peg out so I can use 'Hello darkness my old friend'.

Anyway, RIP to the bloke who made the pastel lambswool sweater the 'must have' item of the early eighties.

Comment

Heart Attack And Vine

Paul Ince Schmince. David Vine was the guvnor.

Comment

Heart Attack And Vine

'Superstars' wouldn't have been the same without him.

Comment

Heart Attack And Vine

He managed to come across as smug whilst presenting Ski Sunday...

...No doubt with the snooker being on at the mo there'll be some mildly insightful tribute courtesy of the Beeb.
                I didn't see him as smug on Ski Sunday at all, his enthusiasm was largely responsible for generating my interest in skiing, even before I'd ever tried it.

The new series of Ski Sunday starts this weekend, I expect it to contain a lengthy tribute, and that's cool. He was something of a brodcasting legend as I was growing up.

Comment

Heart Attack And Vine

There was me thinking you were interested in the skiing because of the girls.

Ski Sunday, when I last saw it, seemed to have turned into a show about people who went skiing as much as professional skiing. That makes some kind of sense but it isn't same as the old days when it was great fun, I agree.

Comment

Heart Attack And Vine

Ski Sunday last year was a bit of a mess, with too little to please either demographic of the intended audience. I didn't mind it as I fit both demographics (a fan of the Sport of skiing as well as the activity) but there wasn't enough actual racing being shown.

It's been changed for this year, split into two separate programmes and will also show some live races on BBC interactive. That's great news as far as I'm concerned, particularly as Channel 4 have pulled the plug on their excellent coverage this year.

Oh, and yes... the girls do add to the appeal.

Comment

Heart Attack And Vine

Oh, and yes... the girls do add to the appeal

I had a teenage crush on Maria Walliser, anyone else remember her? Michele Figini was a better skier but not half as attractive.

Comment

Working...
                      X