The 'Andy Murray is too good to be true' thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... when he gets knocked out in the 3rd round of the Australian Open, fans (I am one) will go back to saying, 'Aye right, can only win shite tournies'.

He has a real chance of being number one by this time next year. His consistency has to be as good with players like Davydenko, and more importantly, Djokovic, as it seems to be with Federer and Nadal.

Ok, in context, against Nadal, one was a friendly, and the other was over two days. But he has recently made Federer look ordinary, and he wiped the floor with Roddick.

If he can continue like this, I cant see anyone stopping him, other than Djokovic... or possibly the huge Argentine Del Potro, who is getting better and better.

If I have one wish for Mr Murray, it is that he wins a Slam before Wimbledon. Admittedly, it wont be the French, as Nadal is unstoppable on clay, but it might be Australia.

For once, I can watch a UK tennis player without covering my eyes and thinking 'Please dont get embarrassed'.

I don't understand why a player's nationality matters in an individual sport like tennis. If I happen to like a player who is French, I'm not going to want him to lose just because his opponent is Scottish (or British as you would see it, Ger).

Last year, I was at the semi final between Djokovic and Federer. I was fairly indifferent about the result beforehand but, like 95% of the crowd, I became a Federer fanatic thanks to the obnoxious behaviour of the Serbs in the crowd.

I remember being pleasantly surprised a few years ago that so many Australians wanted Safin to beat Hewitt in the Australian Open final. Hewitt is obviously a complete dickhead and many Australians saw that as being more important than his nationality.

Patriotism has been a particular problem at the Australian Open in recent years - Melbourne's massive Greek population have adopted Baghdatis and created a football like atmosphere at his matches and, two years ago, we had Serbs and Croats kicking the fuck out of each other on the opening day of the tournament (with the Greeks happily fighting alongside the Serbs).

For what it's worth, I think Murray will win this year. Whether or not I want him to depends on who he plays in the final.

Comment

Brit Andy Murry is much better than that useless surly Scottish bloke with the same name.

Comment

He's playing superbly and he'll give Melbourne a real go this year.

Anyone who has Federer as his bunny must be a pretty good tennis player.

Comment

yet Federer comfortably won the one match between them that really mattered...

call it experience over youth and allow that Murray is slowly but surely reducing the standard gap that is required to win a major...but as 2008 proved you couldnt win one of the majors unless you beat Federer..

the first tournament of 2009 will offer an intriguing opportunity to see whether this still holds true...

Comment

Weren't people talking up his chances of winning the Australian Open this time last year - before he went on to lose in the first round to an unknown (albeit an unknown who then himself went on to the final)?

Comment

I'm not sure Tsonga was an 'unknown' but rather a player of raw but immense talent who was known to blow hot and cold - rather like his compatriot Gael Monfils.

I think it surprised even Tsonga's nearest and dearest that he blew hot for almost the full fortnight in Melbourne.

Comment

ale wrote:
                yet Federer comfortably won the one match between them that really mattered...

call it experience over youth and allow that Murray is slowly but surely reducing the standard gap that is required to win a major...but as 2008 proved you couldnt win one of the majors unless you beat Federer..

the first tournament of 2009 will offer an intriguing opportunity to see whether this still holds true...
                Yes, ale. Which is why its so intriguing.

Last year, he (Murray, as opposed to MARRAY) had excuses: Soft wrist, better opponents, and indifferent backhand.

Now, he has none, and I think, he can now defend himself and say, bollocks, I lost to a better man.

We shall see. I dont believe he is favourite (Djokovic is, if you can see him on TV, you wll know) but he shoulc get to the final. And if he can cope with 'favouritism', then I think we will have a British/World Number 1 to be proud of (although his style of play makes anyone scared).

No-one will take the French fromr Nadal. Wimbledon may be Roddicks's (yes, I know). But the US Open is Murray's to lose.

Comment

"Wimbledon may be Roddicks's (yes, I know)".

If you really think so I'd place a bet now.

I wouldn't advise it myself.

Comment

Melbourne Arab wrote:
                    I don't understand why a player's nationality matters in an individual sport like tennis.
                    Word.

Comment

How does that feeling equate to "Team GB" at the Olympics, then? None of "our" gold medals at the Olympics were in "team" sports, excepting events like rowing and cycling where the "team" was made of 2 to 4 British athletes, but even then only because of the nature of the event. We didn't win any medals at hockey, or football, or volleyball. Are we not to cheer for Chris Hoy as a Brit because sprint cycling is, by its nature, an individual event?

Comment

Even in individual sports, athletes are still representing their country at the Olympics. Andy Murray will be representing himself at the Australian Open.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                          Are we not to cheer for Chris Hoy as a Brit because sprint cycling is, by its nature, an individual event?
                          Up to you.

Comment

gerontophile wrote:
                            [quote]ale wrote:
                            No-one will take the French fromr Nadal. Wimbledon may be Roddicks's (yes, I know). But the US Open is Murray's to lose.
                            Nah. Stiffler is too one dimensional to win another slam. That shark has bolted.

Comment

"Stiffler" - great!

Comment

when was the last time a major was won without the victor having to beat Federer?

Comment

Since he has only missed two finals since 2004 (Aussie last year and 2005), not for a while. My guess is the French the year before Rafa started.

Comment

The 2004 French Open was the last time Federer didn't at least make the semis of a grand slam and the last time a grand slam was won by someone who didn't have to beat him. Gustavo Kuerten knocked him out in straight sets in the third round. Gaston Gaudio won the final.

Comment

well, I dont mind being so wrong that I get to see THAT.

Scintillating, although the last set, for the first time, Federer, bottled it.

Nadal was absolutely, and literally, unbeatable. That was some good tennis.

Comment

Working...
                                      X