Uk Snooker Championship 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't have a thread, disappointingly. While not a hardcore snooker fan, cold, dark nights like this were surely made for slipping into a semi-comatose state for a few hours and listening to the smoothing, gentle tones of Dennis Taylor...

Anyway, two major talking points so far. First a potential match-fixing scandal, and second the fucking abomination that is now the theme tune. Probably the greatest sporting theme of them all completely sold down the river. Tragic.

Not heard the theme tune but I think the match fixing scandal is ridiculous.

Surely if he wanted to throw the game he could simply pot a ball and get horrendous position on purpose rather than missing an easy pot and bringing suspicion on himself.

Also, what he says about the pressure is spot on.

Comment

Not sure whether to mention this here or in the 'Living Hell' thread over on World, but last night's Maguire/Robertson match looked, from the frame and a half I caught late on, like the most dismal, dreadful game of snooker ever played.

Comment

Seems to be the lowest profile UK Championship for years. Not helped by the BBC's late show starting post-midnight after Louis Theroux repeats. The red button is great, but it would be nice to see what was on the other table(s) at a decent time.

Tonight's fare is better than Maguire/Robertson, but I won't spoil it.

ericcantona wrote:
        Not heard the theme tune but I think the match fixing scandal is ridiculous.

Surely if he wanted to throw the game he could simply pot a ball and get horrendous position on purpose rather than missing an easy pot and bringing suspicion on himself.

Also, what he says about the pressure is spot on.
        From the comments Burnett made, it sounds like he was informed at some point about the irregularity (the World Snooker Association were contact by a bookie two days in advance), but also told the score, and that the match would be monitored - I don't think he'd get away with deliberately screwing up a positional shot. It also means the pressure on that would be greater than any shot he's ever made in his life, considering that in those cases where these cases have been proved, the punishments have effectively ended the careers of those involved (Peter Francisco received a five year ban, Quentin Hann got eight years), and in terms of prize money, Burnett averages £20k a year.

Certainly in terms of bungs or even making the bets himself, it's highly unlikely in this day and age of Betfair showing how much is bet on each match, that it would be worth it. The Williams-Carter match has had a total of £3572 bet on it so far, Betfair is the most used bookmaking site in the world, the bets were placed elsewhere, the odds would be in the region of 7-1 (given the difference in rankings), so you'd need to double the amount staked by everyone else in the world to even pay Burnett the equivalent of him missing a season. Given that he's improved in terms of World Rankings over the last couple of seasons, it just would not be worth it for him to risk it.

That said, if he has not been informed of the scoreline concerned, he's esentually admitted guilt in his post match comments, if he has been informed, then he's been unduly inflenced, and whichever official has informed him should be sacked.

Comment

As for the rest of the topurnament, I've seen a lot, and enjoyed most of it. Good to see Joe Perry beat Ronnie O'Sullvan, and by winning seven frames in a row, made sure it was seen more about Perry than Ronnie. Ronnie's comments in his Inside Sport suggested that he's entered a "bored" stage of his career. The better pros know how to exploit this, and at 5-2 down, Perry started making the frames very fractious, almost attritional. Ronnie loses concentration, Perry takes advantage.

Ding's 147 was one of the best maximums ever made (given how high the reds were, and how the virtually circled the pink), yet he made it look almost effortless. Shame it didn't spur him on, because he's not looked the same since he played O'Sullivan at the Masters a couple of years ago.

The bottom half quarter finals are tomorrow. I don't care about the Stephen Lee-Shaun Murphy match, as they're a pair of tossers. John Higgins should win the other, as he the most in-form player this season, and Maguire's not really reached his best this season (or even this tournament).

Comment

Just about to watch it, but that Ding Junhui 147 in full here

Comment

Sure I'm not the only one watching this cracking final. Marco Fu's just brought it back to 6-6. Hope he goes on to win it now.

Comment

Great game. Brings a new meaning to "fluke a win".

Comment

Indeed. A smashing contest, & I think either player would have been a worthy winner. Set up really nicely for the World Championship in the spring

Comment

Working...
                  X