Floorball world championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adults play unihockey in many parts of the world. They have a world championships on now, in Prague, and Finland are leading Sweden 4-3 going into the last period of the final. You can watch it here.

Sweden have won all six previous world championships, beating Finland in the final four times.

Ah, so many childhood memories flooding back. We used a plastic puck rather than a ball though, and a plastic chair for a goal of course. A good whack could send that puck off the far wall and back to your stick, if you wanted. Swinging those plastic sticks in the air, mostly at the perfect height for extracting opponents teeth, pinging the puck like a missile towards the shins of other children. Truly those were the days.

I suspect the professional game might be more disciplined, but I'll have a look if I can decipher the site.

Comment

Adults play unihockey in many parts of the world ... Sweden have won all six previous world championships, beating Finland in the final four times.
      So, er, mostly in Sweden and Finland, then?

I know Lancashire isn't exactly bristling with floorball teams.

Comment

I played for Lancaster Uni against UCLAN at floorball, as it happens.

Comment

They play it in Switzerland as well. I know this because my Swiss cousin ruptured one of his cruciate ligaments playing it, whilst at a tournament in Sweden. Which pretty well ended his tennis career (that by then wasn't going anywhere anyway, but still I don't think his coach was too impressed).

and a plastic chair for a goal of course.

At my school, the games teachers went with one of those wooden benches you find in gyms. The ones six inches wide, but maybe 12 feet long. About the width of a five-a-side football goal, I guess. Also, there was a circle that was the 'keepers alone. Making our version of the sport more a cross between 5-a-side and hockey, instead of ice hockey played on something other than ice.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
            Adults play unihockey in many parts of the world ... Sweden have won all six previous world championships, beating Finland in the final four times.
            So, er, mostly in Sweden and Finland, then?

I know Lancashire isn't exactly bristling with floorball teams.
            Yep, mostly in Sweden and Finland. I think floorball mirrors ice hockey in geographical coverage.

It was a storming game btw. From the point at which I turned the telly on early in the second period, Sweden scored 5 goals unanswered to go 6-4 up, before Finland got two in the last five minutes to take the match into overtime. Then they got a winner, and became the first ever non-Swedish world floorball champions.

I'm most interested in how big a deal this is. When Finland beat Sweden in ice hockey, the entire country went mental. There's a museum in Tampere dedicated to the event. Lordi winning (the tradiotionally sweden-dominated) eurovision was almost as big for Finns. I expect floorball is some way below that, and if it beats pop idol to the front page of a tabloid tomorrow I'll be shocked.

Comment

I was in Stockholm during the previous world championships, I think, and we couldn't get a romm in the city because of all the floorball fans. I think the Finns pushed the Swedes close in the final that time as well, but couldn't quite manage to win it.

Comment

Janik - at my school the benches were preserved for their own game - benchball. I'm sure other schools played it too, we used a sponge football and you had to use your hand to score. Only other rules were one hand behind your back, and no picking up the ball. Usually played 1-on-1 or 2-on-2.

Mind you, we also played another game called benchball occasionally, where you had one team member on a bench at the other side of the hall, and had to get your whole team on the bench by having a team member on the bench catch the ball (the thrower then got to join him.) In between were the opposition, so the trick was to loop the ball over them and into your teammate's hands.

God, I'm loving this nostalgia. Has there been an "indoor games from school" thread?

Comment

It's called "ball-hockey" or "floor-hockey" and it should be played with a tennis ball or a very light plastic puck, not that whiffle-ball monstrosity they seem to be arsing around with it.

Lightweight europeans...

[/don cherry]

Comment

I heard that Henrik larsson is playing floorball in the Swedish premier league.

Floorball is big in Sweden though.

As for those benches, we used to use them as goals when playing indoor football in Junior School.

Comment

Larsson's Floorball debut.

Comment

Working...
                      X