Australia vs South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I haven't. Actually having mentioned it, I need to go back and read Mihir Bose's account of it in his history of Indian cricket.

Comment

The Wilde book is, I presume, cheap on Amazon, and it's a kind of "when fast bowling ruled the world". Bit long perhaps but he coins good phrases and lots of interesting facts. Worth checking out.

I have Manley's history of West Indies cricket. Wonder what he made of it. Or indeed CLR James.

Comment

Just had a look at the Bose book. Not much of interest about the game itself (just criticism of Holding for going round the wicket to launch a short-pitched assault), but intersting to remember that in the previous test West Indies bowling attack was Holding and Julien plus 3 spinners, Jumadeen, Padmore and Imitiaz Ali and India made 406-4 batting last to win the test. Windies weren't going tomake that mistake again.

Comment

Funnily enough they did retain Jumadeen for this test.

Manley points out that one batsman was injured ducking into a hook, another broke a finger fending to leg slip, and the last top edged into his face. Doesn't say much about the pitch, but Wilde reckons a miraculous sprouting of grass between days 1 and 2 was important.

The battering doesn't from Manley sound worse than what Australia served up against Windies in the series they won 5-1 just before this.

Comment

It's funny to remember when going round the wicket was considered not cricket.

Comment

Bose says that it was claimed a mysterious ridge formed on the second day, after India finished the first one 178-1. Clearly Gavaskar and Gaekwad should have pushed on a bit more when they had the chance.

Bowling bouncers round the wicket is still considered a bit dodgy isn't it? I mean not just Walsh to Malcolm, but eyebrows were raised when Donald did it to Atherton too.

Comment

Working...
              X