Australia vs South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was batting not just one handed, but wrong handed- his right hand couldn't grip the bat. Got only knows how he managed to play anything like straight that way.

Comment

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ausvrsa2008_09/content/current/story/385690.html

Hayden dropped for the ODIs.

Nice to see Shaun Tait back.

Comment

Well, SA's experimental team is 2-1 up against Australia's experimental team in the 5-match ODI series. Before the series, one SA sports hack (who usually is knowledgable) suggested that the gap between the quality of the test side and the ODI side had never been as large as now, when SA has the world's best test side (even if the rankings don't reflect that) and allegedly the worst ODI side, as it is rebuilding for the next World Cup.

I'm not convinced about the SA line-up. In Sydney, old men Gibbs and Kallis were the top scorers. Yet, without dropping them, I'm not sure whom I'd drop when Biff Smith is fit again.

Albie Morkel (Morné's brother) is slowly turning into the new Lance Klusener.

In SA's two wins they used the powerplay (stupid rule) within the last few overs to good effect, allowing Morkel to really go medieval on Aussie bowler arses.

The Australian Warner dude looks useful though.

Comment

This Aus team might have struggled against the side that let Allan Lamb hammer 18 off the last over to win.

Botha looks good. I've read of his action travails. Will he get a test slot now?

Comment

Harris is the man in possession, so I don't think Botha is a challenger right now. His actions were questioned last time SA was in Australia (it must have been the first time ever a spin bowler's actions have been questioned in Australia). Apparently he took time out to correct whatever kinks there were.

Botha's captaincy has been superb. In particular the innovative (and risky) use of the power plays late in the innings.

All of SA is obviously excited about doing the double in Australia. And it is a fine accomplishment. The test side is now the best in the world, and beating Australia in Australia was a very impressive feat.

But I fear South Africans are going to get carried away with the ODI success. Both teams are experimental, and the Australian is even less experienced than SA's. The Aussies' middle order, in absence of Clarke, Symonds and Watson is very brittle, and the bowling attack is not very impressive. Hilfenhaus will not become a household name any time soon.

Nice to see Kallis upping his scoring rate, and to see Gibbs back in form. And Albie Morkel is showing every sign of becoming the new Lance Klusener.

Comment

Hmmm, Tsotsobe looked good on his debut. Four wickets. He bowled half his overs in the Power Play, so his figures of five an over aren't too dreadful.

Anyway, I never would have imagined SA winning an ODI series 4-1 in Australia. And Australia can't even offer the excuse that they are rebuilding and had injuries. SA is likewise rebuilding (and expected to lose the series in similar fashion to the whitewash in England) and had injuries.

SA's rebuilding process was supposed to take 2-3 years. A year in, and the team is very much taking shape, and looking good. Gibbs, Kallis (who scored quickly in Australia), Ntini and Boucher will probably soldier on till the next World Cup (though Ntini's position is no longer secure). Botha did very well as a spinner and stand-in captain. Smith, Amla, de Villiers and Steyn are still young. Duminy has established himself. The Morkel brothers are going to be fixtures. And Tsototsobe seems to have great potential.

Comment

Latest Australian chea- er, sorry, "feisty character" and "tough competitor": Brad Haddin.

Ball misses stumps, bail dislodged by keeper standing up, given out bowled.

Comment

The relevant footage.

Finding himself in a hole, Haddin begins to dig furiously.

"Haddin called Vettori's response "poor" and "low", but maintained the ball hit the stumps before his gloves.

"After looking at the replay, my hands were in front of the stumps," he said. "But the ball, I'm 100% positive, hit the bails first and then came up into my gloves."

Comment

Matthew Hayden has been dropped for the tour to South Africa. Some 20-year-old guy has been selected to replace him.

When last has there been a 20-year-old debutant for Australia? There've been many 30-year-old debutants, but 20-year-olds?

Comment

Philip Hughes is (will be) the youngest Australian test debutant since Carig McDermott, over 20 years ago. Hayden had actually finally got around to (officially) retiring a couple of weeks ago.

Just after Hayden retired, the NSW vs Tasmania Shield match was viewed as a bat-off between Hughes and Phil Jacques for the vacant opener's sport. Jacques failed, Hughes scored 150 and an unbeater 80 or 90 odd. He's scored at over 70 this season, so comes with the most promise for a properly young batsman since Ricky Ponting. He should have played in the Sydney test.

Comment

Cricket 2009, as illustrated by Cricinfo live commentary:

33.6 Elliott to Clarke, no run, pats it down to the off side

Flintoff is sold to Super Kings for a million and five hundred and fifty thousand dollars

33.5 Elliott to Clarke, no run, stays back at the crease and punches hard to extra cover.

Comment

Feb 2: Ricky Ponting takes a break from the ODIs, to prepare for the tour of South Africa. Andrew Hilditch, chairman of selectors, is relaxed:

"We believe that this group can get the job done against New Zealand."

One game (i.e. one defeat) later, Ponting is rushed back into the squad for tomorrow, to try and save the series.

(Next: Shane Warne seen warming up ...)

Comment

What's the mood in New Zealand?

1) We're beating Australia. Conquerers!!!
                            2) Thanks South Africa for softening these bastards up for us.
                            3) Meaningless. Australia are the new West Indies.

Comment

1 and 2, I guess (definitely not 3). It's not so much the games themselves - most ODIs are quickly forgotten, and nobody really thinks NZ's journeymen are suddenly world-beaters. It's the reaction of the Aussie media, specifically the Channel 9 cheerleaders. They simply can't bring themselves to say that Australia are rubbish. The conflict between evidence of eyes and ears is hilarious.

So, more giggling than gloating, but all great fun anyway. Especially after Hilditch's comment earlier.

Comment

I was pleasantly surprised by the commentary of Adam Gilchrist. It's been intelligent and insightful, and a good deal less one-eyed than the usual Channel 9 shower.

Comment

It's a bit harsh to criticize batsmen who've scored 98 and 75 but Clarke and Hussey were a bit slow. They did hit Vettori off the square this time but they're still rather too respectful of him. If the others bowl well, as Mills especially did, they don't get enough runs.

Comment

Poor Hughes lasted four balls before the alleged boorish cunt got him out for a duck.

Australia are recovering from 38/3 to 98/3, thanks to a half century by George W Bush.

Once Ponting and Clarke are out, we will see the batting chops of North, Haddin, McDonald, Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus. Who is North?

Comment

Well, he's 29, which seems a bit old for a test debutant. He's scored runs in county cricket, but not in the volume of the Husseys or Jaques.

Comment

Regretting that drop of Ponting by Smith?

Comment

Possibly not so much now.

Comment

I think I can take credit for the Ponting wicket. I had just messaged somebody on Facebook bemoaning SA's inability to get "these two assholes" out. The moment I clicked the button, Ponting went.

So, can't these idiots get Clarke out???

Comment

Bah, didn't work.

Comment

Crivens. Mitchell Johnson tore the arse out of Paul Harris's bowling just there.

Comment

Ah well, another world record beckons (he said hopefully). Ponting referred on of his two queries with Smith on 0 and SA on 1/0. Was turned down. A bit of a waste of a referral, though it was not a bad lbw shout. The ball might have hit off stump.

Comment

It's not impossible because Australia seem to have picked only 3 bowlers for this test; that's not counting MacDonald who Ponting didn't look overkeen on in the first innings.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X