MLB 2008: The Year of Anti-Boston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was always going to be pheast or phamine with the Phillies. Small ball is not understood by these players so there's no use crying about men left on base OR not making contact with 1 out and a man on third OR an 0-10 lead-off hitter who swings for the fence.. What the phuck is this- oh yeah, Philadelphia..

Comment

Don't worry D-Kev,

YOU CAN'T DOO EEET !!!

Comment

ah.. What an exciting game- now only if I didn't fall asleep in the 8th inning due to one glass too many and the fact that it was 1:30am.. The last thing I remember seeing was Ruiz throwing the ball at Upton- who stole third then scored the tying run.
        Good on you Cha'lie.. I, along with 90% of Philly fans, wouldn't have started Moyer last night- and he proved us wrong, again.

A few days ago I was going to write how ironic it would be if dingleberry Manuel was the manager to finally end the drought- considering all the good managers we've had in this town over the past 25 years.. I'm convinced he still doesn't know what a double switch is, nor can he string together a complete sentence in English- but he does know how to handle players and he has the patience of a saint.. If Charlie wins this one- they'll build a statue in his honor. But don't think one championship will soften or shut us up, we'll still call for his head next year..

Comment

I live on the West Coast, and not even I could stay up late enough to watch the end of the game (yes, in bed on Saturday night at 10pm...that's what a child will do to you).

Sounds like a crazy game. I thought it was going to 7, now I don't think so.

Comment

It was a crazy, ridiculous, awesome game. After the terrible missed call in the 7th (Moyer made a great play on a bunt and got the ball to Howard a half a step ahead of the runner, but the ump was behind Howard and called him safe b/c he couldn't see the play) on top of the umpiring screw up in game 2 (Rollins not getting the base even though he was hit by a pitch), I had begun adding to the baseball section of my annual scrapbook of why it sucks to be a Philadelphia sports fan.

However, thanks to some terrible play from otherwise excellent Rays defensive players, and a healthy dose of luck, it all turned out ok last night. Apologies, Spiritual Forces That Control Sports, and all is forgiven (for now).

Comment

Rollins not getting the base even though he was hit by a pitch
              How did that happen?

I didn't watch the game because I thought it was rained out. I did stay up late enough, but by the time I realized it wasn't postponed, it was over.

Comment

The Rollins play was in game 2. The pitcher threw the ball and it hit his uniform but not his body (which counts as a HBP under the rules). However, b/c the ump had a bad angle and Rollins didn't wince in pain (b/c he wasn't) the ump didn't call it.

Comment

I was glad it was delayed. I was able to watch the last few innings after the Penn State game.

I imagine Cubs fans must get very angry every time the announcers pointed out that it's been FIFTEEN YEARS since Philadelphia had hosted a World Series game. As if that's a long time in baseball.

Comment

Right, 15 years isn't that long (and 4 world series in 28 years is pretty good). It's more the fact that most people over the age of 40 (i.e., most announcers/network producers) are aware of the Phillies as a team that had never won anything, ever, until 1980 and are the team with the most losses in professional sports. As a result, they are thought of as a failure franchise (in a failure sports city), and any data point that can highlight that is played up.

Comment

Of all the cities with all four major league sports, I think Philly has the worst, or one of the worst, championships-to-years-with-a-team ratio. At least, I recall hearing that.

One WS for the Phillies, one title for the Sixers, two cups for the Flyers, no Super Bowls for the Eagles and one pre-merger NFL Championship.

But they have done well in some "second tier" sports, pro lacrosse (indoor and outdoor) and arena football. That bodes well for their new MLS franchise.

Comment

I think that's true, Reed, although the Eagles did have 3 pre-Super Bowl Championships ('48, '49 and '60) and the Sixers also won 3 ('55, '67 and '83).

In my lifetime, however, (clearly the only meaningful metric), there's been only 2 total championships for the 4 teams ('80 Phillies and '83 Sixers).

Comment

BJ Upton is a little pain in the ass, isn't he?

Comment

Speaking of pains in the ass, the Phillies just got a bad call in their favor, as Longoria clearly had his glove on Rollins's hindquarters before Rollins got to the bag (he was called safe).

Of course, I fully expect the Phillies to squander the bases loaded 1 out situation, so it won't matter.

EDIT: Or not. Bases loaded walk to Pat the Bat.

Comment

I don't know how the 3rd base ump missed that one

Comment

I couldn't believe the game was played. I went to bed before ever realizing that it was played - wondering all day how it works with makeup games in the World Series, and how confusing it must be if you show up to the stadium thinking it's game 4 when it's game 3. Then I saw on Fux today "the Phillies' incredible 9th Inning win last night gives them a 2-1 lead," and wondering why they were saying they won when the game wasn't even played.

For me, that was pretty weird. Like waking up from a coma after 3 years.

Comment

Is Citizens Bank related to Royal Bank of Scotland, or did they just rip off their logo?

Comment

And Ryan Howard clears the other 2 runners off the bases with a monstrous opposite field HR to make it 5-1.

Comment

Holy cow! I've never seen a pitcher knock one out of the park before.

Comment

10-2 Phillies, bottom of the 8th. Unbelievable. They're making TB look like the Red Sox.

Comment

That was a very good sports day for me. Two Phillies wins in the World Series and the Eagles beating the Falcons. Woo. Of course, this just means things are set up for maximum pain when it all falls apart.

Comment

I hate Bud Selig. There is no way that the game should have been played last night, or, if FOX so badly wanted to make sure that House would not be preempted on Tuesday, they should have moved the start time up a couple of hours.

That there was going to be unplayable condition by 10pm was never in doubt, and so the result is that (a) the Phillies wasted a start by their best pitcher and (b) they gave up a lead due to the ridiculous field conditions (no way Rollins drops that ball if it wasn't so slick).

@#*!

Comment

Another triumph by the man who brought us the All Star Game that ended in a tie.

The day he makes the Hall of Fame is the day I start picketing Cooperstown.

Comment

Femme Folle wrote:
                                                Is Citizens Bank related to Royal Bank of Scotland, or did they just rip off their logo?
                                                Citizens is owned by RBS.

Comment

The game resumes tomorrow night.

Comment

Tomorrow isn't going to be too pleasant either- I would bet on Thursday. Which isn't a bad thing because it will allow Hamels to pitch in game 7 if needed.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X