X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLB 2008: The Year of Anti-Boston

Comment

Actually, I have tomorrow off so I may stay up and watch this. Or at least the first few innings.

FF, that is an appropiate responce.

Comment

yes, you have captured the slack-jawed, dribbling mouth of a RedSox fan, perfectly.

Comment

Hopefully after game 7, I'll be

1-1. Real good game so far.

Comment

This game is quite the tensus.

3-1 Rays. Boston has em loaded up in the 8th with 2 outs.

Comment

Got em looking.

Bottom 8th, Tampa Bay sneaking up on the coffin with stake and hammer in hand...

Comment

Comment

Go PHILLIES!!!!

Comment

Comment

A BoSox fan, this morning:

That was a fine game, and not just the result. The Rays closer (David Price) looks like he may turn out to be a star, and Matt Garza was brilliant.

Dont really care who wins it all, but I will support the Rays. They have played great all year, and had to beat a tough division, whereas the Phillies were up against the flopping Mets (although I wont mind if the Phillies win).

Comment

I'm torn. I really have no ill will towards either team, and while I generally make it a rule to root against any team from Florida, I like the Rays and their youth.

So it comes down to my personal connections to players:
                        Evan Longoria - share a first name, he went to my hometown college (Cal State Long Beach), and I've been following him since he played for the Dirtbags (what the CSULB baseball team is called)

Chase Utley - same class at Long Beach Poly High School, and at UCLA. Didn't really know him, didn't have any classes together. Don't like the first name "Chase" all that much, and "Utley" makes me think of Garrick Utley, the old NBC reporter that I remember most from the Gulf War.

It's close, but the Poly/UCLA double play for Chase makes me a Phanatic.

Comment

Tampa Bay can't win. Those fans don't deserve it. Most of them probably didn't even know their city had a team until a month ago and the fans that have been with them all along need to go through a few heartbreaking near misses before they can fully appreciate winning it all.

Comment

TAMPA, FLA -- "I've said from the beginning that I am a unity candidate," Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., told eight thousand supporters in Tampa Monday afternoon. "Bringing people together. So when you see a White Sox fan showing love to the Rays, and the Rays showing some love back, you know we’re on to something right here."

Obama was not only standing with a number of Rays, who clinched the American League Pennant last night -- right fielder Jonny Gomes, left fielder Carl Crawford, pitcher Edwin Jackson, designated hitter Cliff Floyd -- he'd been introduced by outfielder Fernando Perez and clutch closer David Price.

"Congratulations to the Rays," Obama continued. "Those are just some wonderful young men, young men and I had a meet their families and they are just outstanding people."

Basically the Rays, and the closer last night (Dave Price,) went to an Obama rally as a celebration today.

And any team that has Dickie V as a fan can't be that bad. Waittaminit....He also likes PUKE !!!

Comment

I'm obviously biased (given that I'm a lifelong Phillies fan and all), but for a neutral, this should be a no-brainer. Sure the Rays are an exciting, young team, but they play for the worst fans in the major leagues (who didn't even fill out the stadium until the end of the season), who have absolutely no history and, frankly, care as much about the Rays winning the World Series as I care about the Philly Soul winning the Arena League (i.e., forget about it five minutes after it happens).

I've lived through this before when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale and the Marlins won the World Series the first time. Those fans didn't deserve a World Series (let alone two) and these don't either.

Now you may say that it doesn't matter about the fans, as the players are great and deserve it. I have no real argument against it except that nearly every decent player on that team is under age 26 and they aren't going anywhere. The Rays will own the AL East (see the mid-part of Posnanski's column for more)for the next few seasons (until the players leave to play for the Yankees and Red Sox), and so will have plenty more chances. Who knows when the Phillies will get another shot.

Comment

I'm not a Phillies fan (I'm not anti-Phillies either) but I agree with all of that.

Comment

I'm hoping the next two weeks will be good for Hawaiians.

Comment

I agree with Gyuri too, and in fact, I said as much to a colleague yesterday when justifying my support for an NL team (I'm a maverick--reaching across the aisle). Rays fans haven't suffered enough yet. A WS loss would be good for them.

The Phillies were one of the very first teams I ever saw play when I was a kid. My family made a yearly pilgrimage to Houston, ostensibly to visit my mother's sister. I know now that the trip took place not so much because my dad loved to visit his sister-in-law, but because he wanted to go to a baseball game.

I also hope they win for their manager. He lost his mother during the NLCS and I think it would be a really nice way for him to end this chapter in his life. Come on, Phillies, do it for Mrs. Manuel!

Comment

They were actually the first game I went to live as well, against the Cubs. Somehow the Nick Hornsby rule didn't take effect with me, as I never really lived and died with them.

But they are always such a fun team in the playoffs, and my only hope is like the last time two goofball teams made the final from out of left field, they gave the world the best World Series of all time. So here's to another Twins and Braves between the Phils and Rays.

Comment

I don't think the Hornby rule applies in baseball.

After all, the first game I ever saw was the Mets and the Dodgers.

Comment

I guess that's truly the case, because when I saw Giorgio Chinaglia score that penalty against the Atlanta Chiefs, the fate of my heart was sealed. With the Phils, it was "eh."

Not to mention, I got free tickets from Univision at the new Citizens Park Stadium....3rd row behind home plate. It was a f'n rainout.

Phils up 2-0 in the 2nd. Just stranded full bases on a great (uh...what's an outfielder to catcher double play...8-2 double play ?) double play on a catch and tag-up at the plate.

Comment

And the Rays strand all 3 with bases loaded on 1 out that ends with a 5-3-2 double play. (Now I need to figure out what # the catcher is.)

Still-two-nil-Phils.

Comment

3-2 Phils in the 6th.

Bj Upton '08 = Dave Winfield '81.

Comment

Phillies leave 11 on base, Ryan Howard leaving 4, and still win Game 1.

Both teams have excellent pitching. If the Phils win it all, and Hamels gets another win in the WS, he really deserves to be MVP.

Comment

You had it right, JV. The catcher is number 2.

Here's a handy little illustration:

Comment

Good little game. This is like Euro 08, a quirky boutique shop style of World Series.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X