MLB 2008: The Year of Anti-Boston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They pointed out the anniversary of the black cat running in front of Ran Santo on PTI this week.

I can't believe that Houston is making a push for the NL wild card. Where the hell did they come from?

Comment

I was at the Black Cat game.

It still hurts.

Comment

I've been hesitating to mention the Jays surge since the all-star break as I'll surely hex them. But surprise, surprise Cito's* turned them into a ball club! Won eleven of their last twelve and not against doormats either. Now they're only six and a half behind Boston. Probably run out of games but they're making it interesting.

* Two World Series rings and not a single job offer before this. WTF?! Baseball front offices are full of idiots.

Comment

I don't know where Houston came from but I know where they're going. North.

Comment

Goodbye Yankee Stadium. I wish we had met.

Comment

Little article in the NYT mentioned yesterday that any proposals to have Yankee Stadium considered a historic landmark never made it past the screening process because Steinbrenner's renovations were so thorough, the NYC commission basically considered what remained to have been nothing resembling the original structure.

Comment

The Babe's daughter is a Red Sox fan.

hahahahahahahahahaha!

Comment

Andy fucking Petitte was set up to be knocked out and we kept pissing away chances to do so until he figured it out. I would have loved nothing more than to ruin that game for the evil bastards.

Comment

The match-up was very serendipitous for the Yankees, don't you think?

Comment

You mean the team selected or the respective starters?

Comment

The team. I think the O's stopped even trying to win a few weeks ago.

Comment

Why wasn't Jeff Maier introducedHAWHAW

And FF is referring to a certain player who hit a certain grand slam in a certain ALCS when he was formerly of a certain team who may or may not have came back from the worst deficit in baseball history, who happened to hit a grand slam last night for the team who may or may not have on the receiving end of that aformentioned grand slam/ALCS comeback.

Gero- Having been there, I can say that it's not so much that you didn't miss much; it's just that what made it magical - the sun setting over the Bronx, feeling the buzz under those iron beams of the subway, the passionate fans and astonishingly hot women that strangely started appearing after Jeter started playing and winning championship after championship...all will be there in the future. It's like I've said for years; you can hate or despise the Yanks - but don't think for a second that their fans don't love their team or the sport known as baseball with all of their collective heart, soul, mind, and strength.

That deadspin pic captured it all...

This is the real Yankee Stadium:

Now I know what you're thinking: the ugly face of arrogance personified, the subhuman scum in the unholy pinstripes. However, keep looking, and I ask you to remember one knuckledhead that always had you laughing in homeroom - and who always let you in on the joke and who never cracked on you. Someone who made that interminable geometry class go just a little bit faster with a few well-placed jokes. I'm talking jokes so funny that the teacher laughed, before the teacher launched a joke at that student's expense which had the student and whole class in stitches.

Imagine that kid having a father and grandfather and uncle and great-aunt who only talked about the Yanks around Sunday dinner, who lived and died for this team. As in one would gladly give their life just so one of the young ones at the kiddie table could experience a World Series victory in their lifetimes.

Imagine for this fan and family that winning was the only possibility - and for whom losing meant death. Because winning is a curse when you win all the time. It's not like the Giants or Knicks or Rangers or the Mets, it's the addiction of New Years Eve-level celebrations in October, of feeling the need to celebrate victories and results rather than being thankful to just be alive. For this fan, this fan deserves our buona fortuna and good wishes for one night. Yes, I'm asking sympathy for the devil. Because their story is our story.

Comment

JV - You mean the traitor who was forced to cut his hair and shave his beard off? We're doing just fine without him, thank you.

Comment

I may or may not be referring to the "traitor" that you may or may not be referring to.

Comment

jason voorhees wrote:
                                Now I know what you're thinking: the ugly face of arrogance personified, the subhuman scum in the unholy pinstripes.
                                You must be psychic. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

You know, I wouldn't hate the Yankees as much as I do if it was all about people like the guy in the pic above, and not the sanctimonious guff like there was in the Nike ad that was on the back page of the NYT sports section yesterday.

Comment

gerontophile wrote:
                                    Goodbye Yankee Stadium. I wish we had met.
                                    While I can get the sentiment, you really missed very little. Having been there twice this season, it was a complete and utter shit-hole, the likes of which I haven't seen since division one football. Which is fine, except when that is the face you see for $200+ tickets. It was badly in need of solving.

Shea was infinitely preferable as a stadium out of the two. I look forward to seeing which is better next year - with what I know, it will remain the same. Sadly, the Shea experience is pretty grotty.

Comment

I heard on the UK live coverage of the Sunday night game, that the Yankee organisation were going to prosecute 'to the letter of the law' anyone who was caught stealing anything from Yankee Stadium.

So expect hundreds of thousands of items of memorabilia to hit eBay sometime soon (all endorsed by the Yankees).

I hope they havent started demolishing the stadium yet, because the way Boston are playing...

Comment

Ger, I think it would take a miracle.

Comment

oh sure... 6 wins for the Yankees, 6 losses for the Rox, and assuming we arent losing in the head to head.

In other words, no chance (just clutching at straws)

Comment

Here's the text from that Nike ad:

She gave our heroes a home
                                            up there, looking down upon our city
                                            like a mother does with her children.
                                            Confident and knowing.
                                            Giving us hope and strength.

We wandered into her hallways,
                                            leaned along her bleachers and mobbed her baselines
                                            to watch the great ones play a game
                                            that would become a national pastime.

She beamed with pride as our beloved Bombers won 26.
                                            She took us through a Depression, a World War
                                            and an attack on our hallowed soil.
                                            She was always there, calling us home when we were lost.

And now, there comes a time of reverence,
                                            a passing,
                                            a journey from the old to the new.

May she watch over us even still.

[swoosh]
                                            It was at the "attack on our hallowed soil" that I threw up a little.

Comment

Bleurgh. Let's go Red Sox.

Jeez Louise, that's demonstrably worse than this piece of adidas/Real Madrid crap:

Comment

yes, definite 'barf-bag alert'.

Comment

I know it's something from Nike and not necessarily the Yankee FO (not that I think they would take offense at that), but I know there are probably a lot of people that would buy a poster of that Nike ad if they sold it.

Comment

I have quite a few 'Yankees' bits and bobs (caps, shirts and a thermos tankard), but I draw the line at that. Although I am not really the type to put a poster up on the wall anyway.

I always thought that the Yankees were an adidas team anyway... perhaps they changed in the last couple of years and I didnt notice.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X