• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jason voorhees
    replied
    MLB 2008: The Year of Anti-Boston

3-3. Homer Rays.

It's hilarious to hear these dopey announcers talk about the late innings of a game, such as Tim McCarver saying "they're trying to save their best right hander as the grind of the late innings wear on." Uhhh, you dopey old fartbrain, they haven't played in two days. This is actually the first few innings.

Leave a comment:

• jason voorhees
    replied

Just what we need.

A two-and-a-half-inning series-clinching game for a city full of idiots with both a win-for-me-now attitude and attention-deficit-disorder.

3-2 Phils on a double, sac bunt, and bloop single.

Leave a comment:

• jason voorhees
    replied

Uh huh, yeah, all of a sudden that dome thing doesn't look so bad after all, does it now ?

Leave a comment:

• Gyuri
    replied

The Phillies winning the Series from a rainout did not need to be the alternative. Other alternatives were (a) don't start the game at all, b/c it was obvious from that morning what the weather would be, or (b) suspend the game at the end of the 5th inning, while it was already unplayable, and resume whenever the weather cleared (this would have had the benefit of not giving either team an advantage. . .letting the results of half an inning stand is unfathomable to me). . .Selig could certainly have used his magical commissioner powers to do this.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

Sorry, but no it isn't.

The game never should have been allowed to start. Once it did, it should have been called as soon as it became official. Selig has altered the sporting balance of the series.

Leave a comment:

• anothergoal
    replied

At least it is better than the Phillies winning the World Series from a rain-out.

Leave a comment:

• Reed John
    replied

Yet another completely asinine decision by Selig and probably rigged to help Tampa Bay. Rain helps the offense - the pitcher can't grip the ball properly, the ball sticks in the mud and the fielders can't grip it to throw it.

Leave a comment:

• Heliotrope
    replied

(borrowed from another site)

Bud Selig to Phillies and fans

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied

To Vegas, Philly won.

Unnamed Phillies players on Selig:

“That (expletive deleted) guy,” one pitcher said as he saw commissioner Bud Selig before walking out the back door of the clubhouse. “I wouldn’t let him supervise one of my (bowel movements). He has no clue. Not one (expletive deleted) clue.”

“(Expletive deleted),” one position player said in the direction of one television pausing only for a moment before leaving. “He’s a moron. How stupid can one person be?”

Leave a comment:

• Dynamo Kev
    replied

Tomorrow isn't going to be too pleasant either- I would bet on Thursday. Which isn't a bad thing because it will allow Hamels to pitch in game 7 if needed.

Leave a comment:

• Heliotrope
    replied

The game resumes tomorrow night.

Leave a comment:

• XXXXXX
    replied

Femme Folle wrote:
    Is Citizens Bank related to Royal Bank of Scotland, or did they just rip off their logo?
    Citizens is owned by RBS.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

Another triumph by the man who brought us the All Star Game that ended in a tie.

The day he makes the Hall of Fame is the day I start picketing Cooperstown.

Leave a comment:

• Gyuri
    replied

I hate Bud Selig. There is no way that the game should have been played last night, or, if FOX so badly wanted to make sure that House would not be preempted on Tuesday, they should have moved the start time up a couple of hours.

That there was going to be unplayable condition by 10pm was never in doubt, and so the result is that (a) the Phillies wasted a start by their best pitcher and (b) they gave up a lead due to the ridiculous field conditions (no way Rollins drops that ball if it wasn't so slick).

@#*!

Leave a comment:

• Gyuri
    replied

That was a very good sports day for me. Two Phillies wins in the World Series and the Eagles beating the Falcons. Woo. Of course, this just means things are set up for maximum pain when it all falls apart.

Leave a comment:

• Femme Folle
    replied

10-2 Phillies, bottom of the 8th. Unbelievable. They're making TB look like the Red Sox.

Leave a comment:

• Femme Folle
    replied

Holy cow! I've never seen a pitcher knock one out of the park before.

Leave a comment:

• jason voorhees
    replied

And Ryan Howard clears the other 2 runners off the bases with a monstrous opposite field HR to make it 5-1.

Leave a comment:

• Femme Folle
    replied

Is Citizens Bank related to Royal Bank of Scotland, or did they just rip off their logo?

Leave a comment:

• jason voorhees
    replied

I couldn't believe the game was played. I went to bed before ever realizing that it was played - wondering all day how it works with makeup games in the World Series, and how confusing it must be if you show up to the stadium thinking it's game 4 when it's game 3. Then I saw on Fux today "the Phillies' incredible 9th Inning win last night gives them a 2-1 lead," and wondering why they were saying they won when the game wasn't even played.

For me, that was pretty weird. Like waking up from a coma after 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• Femme Folle
    replied

I don't know how the 3rd base ump missed that one

Leave a comment:

• Gyuri
    replied

Speaking of pains in the ass, the Phillies just got a bad call in their favor, as Longoria clearly had his glove on Rollins's hindquarters before Rollins got to the bag (he was called safe).

Of course, I fully expect the Phillies to squander the bases loaded 1 out situation, so it won't matter.

EDIT: Or not. Bases loaded walk to Pat the Bat.

Leave a comment:

• Femme Folle
    replied

BJ Upton is a little pain in the ass, isn't he?

Leave a comment:

• Gyuri
    replied

I think that's true, Reed, although the Eagles did have 3 pre-Super Bowl Championships ('48, '49 and '60) and the Sixers also won 3 ('55, '67 and '83).

In my lifetime, however, (clearly the only meaningful metric), there's been only 2 total championships for the 4 teams ('80 Phillies and '83 Sixers).

Leave a comment:

• Reed John
    replied

Of all the cities with all four major league sports, I think Philly has the worst, or one of the worst, championships-to-years-with-a-team ratio. At least, I recall hearing that.

One WS for the Phillies, one title for the Sixers, two cups for the Flyers, no Super Bowls for the Eagles and one pre-merger NFL Championship.

But they have done well in some "second tier" sports, pro lacrosse (indoor and outdoor) and arena football. That bodes well for their new MLS franchise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X