MLB 2008: The Year of Anti-Boston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An interesting aspect of the entire sorry affair is that the Yankees aren't even under contract with Nike yet.

Their adidas deal expires this season, and the Nike one doesn't start until 2009.

BTW, I completely agree with the Landmarks Preservation Commission that the stadium lost its soul in the "Steinbrenner renovations". What the club originally called the "New Yankee Stadium" might as well have been in Kansas City.

Comment

The 'colour' commentator on UK Channel 5 (Josh Chetwynd - good guy), said that he went there to a playoff last October (or whenever), and he felt the 'ghosts', and I suppose he summed it up better than I ever could. It's more the history than the actual facade, although they kept the undulating ... dunno the word ... loopy things that hang from the roof?

AND, its a shame that they bumped Mr Torre before the last, although he is probably pissing himself now (with laughter!)

Comment

They took the facade of the old upper deck off and pasted it onto the new one like false eyelashes.

I can understand that one could still sense the history of the place (and surely the club spares no effort to have that happen), but trust me, it was infinitely more tangible in the old stadium.

The two stadia were/are quite different.

Here's the "classic" version:

And the "Steinbrenner" version:

As you can see from those, the field dimensions changed radically, as did the profile of the stands (the upper deck was enlarged and moved back from the field). To those of us who grew up with the classic version, the new one was very different, much less intimate and much more open.

This drawing gives you a decent idea of what the park was like before 1976, a large part of its magic (at least for me) was how close one was to the field and the way in which the overhanging stands created a dark environment that made the verdant green field all the more magical.

I'll never forget the first time that I came out from the tunnel and saw the field; there was a literal intake of breath. Sure, I was four years old, but I still haven't experienced anything that can really compare.

Comment

Femme Folle wrote:
          The team. I think the O's stopped even trying to win a few weeks ago.
          It's not that they started tanking, it's that they broke. We were 60-62 when the bullpen finally snapped from a season of covering for injured or crappy starters, and we've lost like 25 of 33 since.

Every single member of the starting rotation in April is gone. Trachsel-waste of space. Cabrera-sore arm, DL. Guthrie, sore arm, DL. Adam Loewen-broke his elbow twice (which I didn't even know you could DO), quit as a pitcher and is trying to become Rick Ankiel mark II now. (By the way, we passed on Scott Kazmir for him. Just saying.) Sarfate-sore arm, DL, sucked like a hooker during fleet week anyway. We had 2 decent setup guys, Jim Johnson-you guessed it, DL-and Chad Bradford-offloaded to tampa for pennies on the dollar last month. The closer just came off the DL, and oh by the way, we've been through SIX shortstops.

Why I am going tonight to the DH with the Bay Rays I have no idea. Even if it is only $8.

dlgh-wait til next year, when those $200 tickets have an extra zero on them. Per game. 4 box seats for one season at the new Yankee Stadium will cost what the old Yankee Stadium cost TO BUILD.

Comment

I hope the O's beat the Rays. For whatever that's worth.

Comment

That Nike ad is obviously MAWKISH, but no real fan would care about that shit.

This is a Real Yankee Fan, telling my favorite ever story about Yankee Stadium; (It also helps he's the size of a stadium.)

Comment

What's that sound I hear? Sounds like CLINCHING!

Comment

Thank you FF but it didn't work. 5-2 Tampa in game one, then a 5-2 lead in the 8th handed to Jamie Walker became a 7-5 loss in minutes. Argh.

Comment

I hate when that happens (I've seen the Red Sox blow a substantial lead a couple of times this year).

I hope we don't choke in the playoffs. We won that game last night by the skin of our teeth.

Comment

I love the last few weeks of the baseball season. It's when people start talking about magic numbers, and I loved trying to figure them out when I was a kid.

Comment

Sometimes I look up players on the internet between innings. I came across this on Wikipedia and was puzzled by the sentence that I have underlined:

In an interview with the Santo Domingo Times on March 11, 2007, he claims that he is the only person named "Jhonny" with the name spelled correctly; all other "Johnnies" are misspelled. He has refused to have it changed. The letter combinations "Jh" or "Gh" are sometimes used in the Spanish language to represent the English "J" sound, as the "J" in Spanish is normally pronounced as an English "H".
                        Why should he have to change it? It's the name his parents gave him, for crying out loud. What a stupid thing to write on his Wiki.

Comment

Free tix to the Jays-Yankees last night (good thing, too - $35 for bleacher seats? yikes). Likely Burnett's last start here (11Ks last night). Yankees fielded a weak lineup (no Jeter, for instance). Abreu won it with grand-slam in the 10th.

But I have to say, my patience for sports without singing is really starting to wane.

Comment

Antonio Gramsci wrote:
                            Free tix to the Jays-Yankees last night (good thing, too - $35 for bleacher seats? yikes). Likely Burnett's last start here (11Ks last night). Yankees fielded a weak lineup (no Jeter, for instance). Abreu won it with grand-slam in the 10th.

But I have to say, my patience for sports without singing is really starting to wane.
                            You should attend a game at Fenway. Lots of singing.

$35 is cheap. Bleachers at Yankee Stadium are closer to $100.

Comment

Woo hoo! go Dodgers or something. I can't pretend to have a clue about Baseball but I'm enjoying following the Dodgers from afar.

I have no idea about any players (I gather Ramirez is quite handy) and the 'non-emotional' attachment makes it all the more enjoyable. Compare and contrast with the mental, physical and financial damage I've done myself following Spurs.

Anyone seen the Dodgers? Do they have a chance of winning the thing?

Comment

The Dodgers are doing well in their league and division, but that's because they play in a relatively easy one.

The Dodgers are 83-76, which is worse than the lowest of the four top AL teams.

TB 96-63
                                RS 94-65
                                MN 87-72
                                LA 99-60

I think they would struggle against any of those teams, with or without Manny. He might be exciting to have on your team now, but just wait a couple of years until he gets bored of it. Or if Joe tries to make him cut off more of his dreads. [/gratuitous Red Sox fan dig]

Comment

Paxton,

The Dodgers are not great. Good, sometimes very good, but I don't think they'll get anywhere near the World Series.

The one thing the Dodgers do have going for them is pitching. They have a pretty good rotation. The bullpen makes me nervous.

And yes, forget my protests to ursus earlier in the year: I'm a Dodger fan now, dammit.

Comment

Why does the bullpen make you nervous if they have good pitchers? Do you mean their RPs suck?

Comment

Rotation=starting pitchers.

In previous years (the Rupert Murdoch debacle, anything post-Lasorda,) I would've answered "Do they have a chance of winning the thing?" with a "yes," if "winning the thing" meant "team most likely to crash out of the playoffs like an LA commuter train."

However, with Manny and Joe Torre, and the Wild Card round leading to more wild teams winning, I'd say they certainly have a chance.

Comment

Brews and Schmets tied going into the last day.

Phils win the East on a sliding double play, thus constituting the only 20 seconds of this season that I have seen thus far.

Comment

Ursus must be sick considering that the Cubs could let the Mets make the postseason.

Comment

Yesterday was not a good day.

I'm coping by trying to convince myself that they've decided that a one game playoff between Milwaukee and the Mets would be the most effective way of weakening their potential opponents.

Comment

We've seen how well the "resting your starters while the other team gets tired out" theory has played of late, in every sport.

NY Giants '07
                                              Portugal & Holland Euro '08
                                              Indy Colts '06
                                              Yankees v Angels/Tigers/Indians/Marlins '02-'07
                                              Baltimore Ravens '00

That CW is the new "prevent defense."

Comment

Er can I just say..

COME ON MINNESOTTA!!!!!

cheers. carry on.

Comment

The baseball gods are great.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Never has a Cubs loss been as sweet.

Comment

The announcer on Sporting News radio said "there's nothing like sending a stadium off into the sunset with a chorus of boos."

Congrats ursus. The Marlins should just change their names to the Spoilers. I never seen a team that has caused so much heartburn to so many teams. Especially those from New York.

No fans, no owner, no stadium, causing problems to everyone...they're like the New Jersey Devils circa 99-06.

Uninterestingly enough, the New Orleans Zephyrs were the AAA of the Mets until this year. The Mets moved their AAA team to Buffalo. New Orleans is now the AAA team of...the Florida Marlins.

Cubs-Phils-Dodgers ? Now that's an old school NL battle. I hope we get some of those old fashioned 14-13/15-11/17-13 Phils-Cubs pitchers duels.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X