The 2011 Rugby World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2011 Rugby World Cup

Will feature 20 teams, again, like last time (boo). Good for those who truly believe that subjecting the likes of Uruguay to 100-point thrashings at the hands of a tri-nations side second XV makes sense for the development of the game, bad for the tournament (as, at least half of the opening pool games will be ridiculous walkovers).

Still, here's what to look forward to:

Pool A : New Zealand, France, Tonga, Americas 1 (probably Canada), Asia 1 (probably Japan, possibly Korea).

Pool B: Argentina, England, Scotland, Europe 1 (probably Georgia), repechage winner (perm one from any of my other "probablys" in this list but probably loser of "Americas 2")

Pool C: Australia, Ireland, Italy, Europe 2 (Romania, Spain or Russia), Americas 2 (USA or Uruguay)

Pool D: South Africa, Wales, Fiji, Oceania 1 (certainly Samoa), Africa 1 (probably Namibia).

No published certainty as to how the quarter-finals line up - One would assume A1 v B2 with the winners to face C1 v D2, but as that would (if NZ and Australia win all their first 5 games, as expected) mean a NZ v Australia semi-final, not a final (which surely the organisers want to see happen) I expect some more piddling about with formats before 2011 comes around.

Gives Wales 3 years to become crap again before meeting up with their old mates Samoa, too.

The 2011 Rugby World Cup

Don't forget our recent history with Fiji, I was wondering after the draw how long we can keep Gatland and Edwards for in relation to this.

Comment

Working...
    X