Bad news: NYT closes Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a big fan of Play, the New York Times' quarterly sports magazine (mentioned it in a post today, in fact). They ran David Foster Wallace's piece on Roger Federer, stuff by Michael Lewis, and lots of other very good pieces.

And now they're cutting it. It's a shame, because as good as many of their long-form articles were, I doubt they would run them in the general Sunday Magazine section (maybe except for Michael Lewis' stuff, since he's a big name).

Pretty weird, but oh well. I guess if you're going to cut something, make it the thing you have to wait a few months for, and then don't remember if you missed it or not, then a few years down the road finally catch on and say "waittaminut...what happened to that really cool NYT sports mag with the great graphics and cool features ?"

Comment

I'm sure they'll keep the ridiculous style magazines, since those bring in tons of ads.

Comment

That was also the idea behind Play, but I guess that it didn't work as well (I've never actually seen a hard copy of Play).

Comment

Very good photos. Like a cheaper version of the ESPN mag. Really good graphics as well.

I'm thinking about 4 different pass-rushes the Jints did against Brady in the StupidBowl. They had a diagram of what each player did, and how something as simple as pretending to turn your shoulders a split second to pretend to run to the side before exploding up the middle led to all of those sacks that made it seem like the Pats O-Line was swiss cheese.

It's not that I'll miss it, but it's like not playing with house money anymore. It's like an aunt dying who gave a really good gift, and you know you won't be getting that gift anymore.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
            That was also the idea behind Play, but I guess that it didn't work as well (I've never actually seen a hard copy of Play).
            They got some big ads in there (lots of watches and ads geared towards men), but nowhere close to what their style supplements get, and no big medical/hospital ad supplements like the regular magazine runs. It was always rather thin. Which was a bonus, for me.

Comment

Working...
            X