England not in a spin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England not in a spin

I don't quite know, but I have a hunch that whatever happens in India, SA would would overtake India if they win the series in Australia. Winning a series you previously lost or drew brings in big points.

Comment

England not in a spin

This Pakistani report appears to have figured it out.

"The ICC Test Championship is only updated at the end of each series so [India's win in Chennai] is not reflected yet but if Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s team put in a similar performance in the second and final Test at Mohali they will gain three points and move into second position, just 11 points behind Australia.

Then it will be all eyes on Australia as the world’s number-one team attempt to stay at the top. A 3-0 defeat will drop them below South Africa by a fraction of a point in which case just four ratings points would separate the top three teams in the world.

A 2-0 win for South Africa would leave them in second place just two points short of Australia while a 1-0 or 2-1 victory would leave the gap at five points and a drawn series would see Australia lose two points and South Africa gain one.

. . .

A 3-0 series win for the home side will give them four points and stretch the gap with SA to 21 while Australia can also strengthen their position at the top by winning 2-0, 1-0 or 2-1. South Africa must be careful it doesn’t end the series behind India. If India win the second Test against England in Mohali they will go second leaving SA needing a series win of some kind just to stay second in the Test Championship table.

Comment

England not in a spin

The Aus vs SA season is followed by the return series in South Africa. If SA win in Australia (which I don't think they will) and then beat them at home (perhaps), then the standings will be very interesting indeed.

Comment

England not in a spin

Great little interview in The Guardian with Illy yesterday who said he'd have taken 4 wickets in 25 overs (compared with a career strike rate of 97), and that he and Derek Underwood would have bowled India out. Underwood would have done better than him but don't know if the pitch would have suited even him.

Comment

England not in a spin

Strong rumor has it that it's Michael Vaughan who is being lined up to replace Ian Bell on the West Indies tour.

That clunking sound you can hear is Owais Shah banging his head against a brick wall.

Comment

England not in a spin

Well, at least England didn't do that. Hopefully Shah will get at least a couple of tests, but as Bell is a flat track bully par excellence and even some of the NZ top order scored runs against the Windies, I'm sure he'll keep his place.

Surprising choice of Rashid, not many teams take 3 spinners to the Carribean and you'd have thought he'd learn more playing more on the Lions tour.

Comment

England not in a spin

Rashid considers himself primarily a batsman.

Comment

England not in a spin

Well in that case he needs to get higher up the Yorkshire order than 7 and average over 32.

Comment

England not in a spin

I agree, and hopefully so does he.

Either Moores or Pietersen will be gone by Monday, my money's on Moores. Pietersen like his predecessor thinks that Moores isn't quite good enough.

Who's up for the new England coaching job? The usual subjects - Whatmore, Chappel? Anyone else?

Comment

England not in a spin

If Moores goes then it's likely that Andy Flower will be made up to head coach on a temporary basis to take the team to the West Indies.

Flower is very highly regarded and apparently popular with the players. If he makes a good job of the tour he'll be at the front of the queue.

Comment

England not in a spin

It'll never be KP will it to go, one of the best batsman in the world who's made a reasonably impressive start to his job as captain and is showing good signs of learning, or a coach who's reuptuation is fading fast... which one do England mind pissing off the least and which one will cost millions in advertising if he goes?

Comment

England not in a spin

Apparently the name Shane Keith Warne is being bandied about - which would make for an interesting Ashes series, if nothing else. My pick would be Tom Moody. Highest priority would be working on the batting which has gone backwards under Moores.

Comment

Working...
                          X