England not in a spin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England not in a spin

Good cricket by England at the close. Flintoff softens up Yuvraj with some short stuff, then Harmy forces him to edge...straight to Flintoff.

Earlier Panesar took an excellent caught and bowled to dismiss Laxman.

Vic Marks will be doing his Xmas shopping in Chandigar.

Comment

England not in a spin

Go on Freddy twat Harbajhans stumps out the ground to round off a really good bowling display today.

Comment

England not in a spin

159 is the highest score that any team has ever chased down in a fourth innings at Chennai. At tea England are effectively 143 - 3. So generally, they are in good shape. They'll sleep better tonight with a 250 lead though - he says, stating the obvious.

We need one of those old-school, flinty, "I'm a northern 'ard bastard, me" Collingwood innings, and a big shot cameo from Freddie. Should be enough.

Comment

England not in a spin

These two continuing to edge along nicely, 200 lead just come up.

Collingwood has had a few escapes with lofted shots, but i think he deserves them just for that LBW decision.

After 2 1/2 days it's a pretty impressive performance from England. Something that has been a problem in the past is a massive collapse undoing a couple of days of good work, but this is looking hopeful for this test... fingers crossed.

Comment

England not in a spin

England 250 ahead, looking good and favorites, but even when they were 50 or 75 for 3 (so only 125-150 ahead), Fraser, Marks and co were worried about any lead less than 350. The best winning fourth innings score in Chennai is only 160, but Australia once chased 340 odd to tie.

I tip my hat to Strauss and Colly (after saying for a year they should both be dropped permanently).

Comment

England not in a spin

Impressively obscure user name there, Swann Swann Huh.

Comment

England not in a spin

Hmmm, England to draw the series with India, as SA did, sandwiching Australia's defeat. And with SA having beaten England away.... no. I must stop it. Stop dreaming. SA has no chance in Australia.

Comment

England not in a spin

You may have the two best spinners in the series, unless the poker player waddles out of retirement?

Derek- can any REM song really be that obscure? I think it's still a live favorite.

Comment

England not in a spin

Hugh Tayfield and John Traicos?

Comment

England not in a spin

What, exactly, is Paul Collingwood for?
                      He's about to answer your question, GO. Sitting on 99*

Comment

England not in a spin

And he gets his 100. Next ball, Strauss goes.

Comment

England not in a spin

Excellent batting from Strauss and Collingwood to give England a 300+ lead. Unfortunately India have got off to a flyer in their second innings and some typically wayward Harmy bowling. Could still be a draw, sounds a great atmosphere whilst India are throwing the bat around.

Sehwag just been dropped.

Comment

England not in a spin

Here are my thoughts on the day. Uncoordinated and random as usual.

I'd still rather be in England's position than India's, but Sehwag's brilliant knock has set up an exciting day tomorrow.

I'm sure if England do win that Strauss will get MOTM, but Pietersen tonight must be reflecting how lucky he is to have Freddy Flintoff in his team. At a time of total mayhem, he came on and immediately stopped it dead from one end. Allowing Pietersen some sense of control of the situation, and if nothing else, time to think.

There is a sense that the world's test batsmen have worked Monty out. Of course that the way in test cricket, as a bowler or batsman, you initially have success and then opposing teams learn your weaknesses, and start to work you out. Now Monty has to go away and learn some variety, a doosra would be nice. He also needs to toss the ball up more after he is hit, not less.

Swann could be key tomorrow, right at the end of the day he was extracting a lot more turn than Monty, the ball was really fizzing.

Gambhir and Sehwag both given not out off balls they had gloved through to the keeper. Had the new referral system been in play here rather than in Dunedin, England would be in a much stronger position.

Amusing to see Sehwag accuse England of negative bowling tactics, after India had bowled just eleven overs per hour in the afternoon session.

25,000 + crowd. Reports of the death of test cricket in India appear to be exaggerated.

Comment

England not in a spin

Perfectly set up for tomorrow now. India 131-1 at the close, needing another 256 to win; England obviously still need to take 9 wickets.

This could end up with India on about 370-9 with two or three overs to go - one of those Test matches that finishes up more like the end of a tight one-day game.

Comment

England not in a spin

India now cantering to victory. Don't know whether to hail India's astonishing batting line-up, or bemoan England's pedestrian lack of initiative in defending the total.

Time to drop Panesar? Or his ineffectiveness in this game a product of his lack of recent cricket? Either way, he hasn't put in a significant performance for England for a very long time

Comment

England not in a spin

Talk about your Bollywood finish.

Sachin completes the greatest run chase ever on the subcontinent and gets his century on the last ball.

Comment

England not in a spin

Monty's figures are less unimpressive than Harmison's. I don't think England will get that close again. How do they pick themselves up after failing to capitalise on such a great winning position?

Comment

England not in a spin

As I said earlier, what's happening to Panesar often happens to test players at this stage of their career - he's been worked out. Now he has to go away and re-think his bowling in response to the changed situation he's in. He should take as inspiration Andrew Strauss who has totally re-modeled his batting style - playing very compact, close to his body, and leaving everything else. Or perhaps closer to home - Simon Jones, who re-invented himself as a reverse swing bowler.

In the mean time, Adil, get yourself out into the nets, son.

Comment

England not in a spin

What a marvellous game of cricket. Ravi Shastri has given the MoM award to Sehwag. As Agnew said on TMS, without his amazing eye yesterday India woulde probably have had to dig out a draw.

I repeat my prediction at the end of the South Africa series that Monty will miss out on the Caribbean leg next year.

Super Sachin to soldier on for two or three more years?

Comment

England not in a spin

I watched it till just before lunch. Tendulkar was playing very well and the pitch was behaving, but I still thought England would win. The commentators were making a lot of how England could bowl outside leg stump and shut up shop. Did that not happen? If not, why not?

I seem to have turned into Douglas Jardine this morning. We Oxbridge amateurs bring so much gaiety to the game.

Comment

England not in a spin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                            The commentators were making a lot of how England could bowl outside leg stump and shut up shop. Did that not happen? If not, why not?
                                            The TMS guys ditto. Although it seems ST was happy enough sidefooting Monty and Swanny away until their line strayed, when he hit them to midwicket for four. All the pundits bar Vic Marks had basically given it up half way through the mid session.

Comment

England not in a spin

Was Pietersen's field placing any good? For an outside leg line you don't need many on the off side. Couldn't he have put two men at deep midwicket?

Comment

England not in a spin

Good point. He had one guy positioned on the off-side boundary where only someone playing the reverse sweep could get the ball to. Which no Indian batsmen was ever going to do in this situation.

Comment

England not in a spin

Yeah it seemed odd given that, from the very start of the day, run-rate required was not an issue, that Pietersen put such an onus on posting people out on the boundary, preventing fours when ones or twos would always do.

Comment

England not in a spin

Traumatised by Sehwag's innings?

Are the test rankings done on the basis of a set formula? If so, does anyone know if there is a possible combination of results in Mohali and South Africa's visit to Australia that would vault India into top spot?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X