• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ursus arctos
    replied
    England not in a spin

Another century from Yuvraj.

They are playing six or seven of these, aren't they? What are the odds on a whitewash?

And why isn't Panesar there?

Leave a comment:

• Kusal Flyer
    replied
    England not in a spin

Lost by 50 this morning. Batting was OK- though Prior and Shah scored too slowly off the spinners early on. KP and Fred looked good even if the target was always 20-30 ahead of them. The bowlers lost it, really.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    England not in a spin

No. Flintoff takes about 7-8 overs minimum to get going, most of the time. If you think of almost all his famous innings they started pretty slowly.

Leave a comment:

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied
    England not in a spin

Don't you think a Flintoff 30 would still be quick fire, even allowing for getting his eye in?

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    England not in a spin

Also, Flintoff isn't very good at quick 30s as he takes time to get his eye in. So it might make some sense to put him into open so he could settle in, but he can't place the ball so his only scoring shot would be to loft it.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    England not in a spin

Dalrymple doesn't even get a bowl for Glamorgan.
    I don't think Collingwood is fully fit. If he was he'd be in my team. In fact, he could open instead of Bell.

Leave a comment:

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied
    England not in a spin

No Collingwood? He was targeted in this game but he's better than Patel. Indian wickets, as I see it, favour good spinners. You can't just put on a Dalrymple (who was better than Patel, so I'm unfairly picking on him) and expect him to look like Bedi. India don't overworry about spinners being able to bat. I think they'd indeed have Monty in if they were picking from England's players.

Has Flintoff ever opened? The idea with his batting at the moment seems to be that he'll come in and get a quickfire 30. Why not do that at the top of the innings? He could plant his foot down and swing, with fewer fielders in the deep than later.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    England not in a spin

Patel is a batsman who bowls a little. Putting him in at 9 or 10 is as ludicrous as Bopara at 8.

Bell
    Shah
    Bopara
    Pietersen
    Patel
    Flintoff
    Prior
    Swann
    Broad
    Harmison
    Anderson (or Sidebottom, if fit)

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    England not in a spin

The problem is, who do we have to open? Bell I can put up with as he can build a decent innings, but Prior is another in the long line of wicketkeeping-opener-batsmen-wish-he-was-Gilchrist-but-he's-not that England have tried. Stick him back down the order where he belongs to have a blaze at the close. We need someone in the mould of Trescothick, a proper attacking opening batsman who can get things moving at the start of the innings rather than grub around at 3 an over.

The team is unbalanced. Collingwood is quite clearly fading badly and I think his days are numbered. His shoulder's an ongoing problem and his batting has been a series of failures with the odd good score thrown in.

I think the next team should be along the lines of

Bell
    Err... AND THIS IS THE PROBLEM
    Pietersen
    Shah
    Bopara
    Flintoff
    Broad
    Prior
    Swann/Patel
    Harmison/Patel
    Anderson

Depending on the pitch. You bat a long way down but have a good spread of nurdlers and hitters, you don't need a full battery of pacemen, but again, it's that opening slot that's the problem.

And having bowlers who can't bowl line and length with any consistency.

Leave a comment:

• Kusal Flyer
    replied
    England not in a spin

Aye, I haven't really given Yuvraj and the India openers credit for some great hitting there.

Who do the panel think should open?

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    England not in a spin

Magnificent stuff from Yuvraj - you've got to applaud India's cricket at the moment.

Still, that batting order was an absolute fucking shambles. Ravi Bopara is not a dibbly-dobbly No8 all-rounder. He's a batsman who can turn his arm over if needed. If you're gonna pick him, have him in at 4 or 5 - that 50 he got today was a complete waste. I'm wondering whether he's ever batted at No8 in any form of cricket in his life. Bell and Prior as an opening pair is also never going to put the fear of God into any opposition.

Leave a comment:

• Kusal Flyer
    started a topic England not in a spin

England not in a spin

Beaten- pulverised, really- by 150 in Gujarat. India smashed their way to 385 as Pietersen and Moores decided not to play Swann. When the hapless visitors batted, Pietersen sounded in decent nick until he was run out, Bopara got a quick 50 and Draco some boundaries at the end. I'll draw a discreet veil over the top order.

Anyone seen Monty?
Working...
X