The 4 Sports of Laos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 4 Sports of Laos

Laos has possibly the strangest sporting scene of any country I have been to. There are basically only four sports here, to wit:

1) Football. Obviously. Like everyone else in Asia, everyone watched the Premiership. Shirt-wearing is fairly rare (certainly in comparison to Africa), but all the little bars advertise the big games – and not just the ones catering to foreigners which have signs out saying things like "Volume Drinkers Paradise". I would reckon that words like "Liverpool" and "Manchester" may be among the first latin-script words yound Laos learn. Kids play it, too – but there’s not much in the way of decent pitches. Even in the "professional" league, star players aren’t really full time. The "national" league is actually restricted to teams in Vientiane who – as far as I can tell – all play in the same stadium, which from the outside appears to have a capacity of about 5,000.
    2) Snooker. Every damn bar has four or five tables, and all they are always full.
    3) Petanques. A legacy of the French, I guess. Every day you see a set of courts on the edge of town justpacked with young guys playing petanques (often wearing football shirts - I swear one game was Arsenal shirts v. Chelsea shirts)
    4) Volleyball. Occasionally i see people playing this. Not as commonly as the other three, though.

I've also seen some courts for that foot-volley game - Arak Whatsit - you know, the one with the rattan ball. But I've not seen anyone playing it.

I hereby nominate Laos for having the strangest combination of national pastimes ever.

The 4 Sports of Laos

What is Petanques? Is that like Four Square?

Comment

The 4 Sports of Laos

Antonio Gramsci wrote:
      I've also seen some courts for that foot-volley game - Arak Whatsit - you know, the one with the rattan ball. But I've not seen anyone playing it.

I hereby nominate Laos for having the strangest combination of national pastimes ever.
      Sepak Takraw. Wierd - I thought they would have been into that, hugely.

Comment

The 4 Sports of Laos

Petanques is not dissimilar to bocce, Reed. (I'd never heard of bocce before I went to the states, but when I saw it, I thought "oh, it's petanques")

Comment

The 4 Sports of Laos

So basically everyone only watches football and plays snooker and bowls?

Laos shmaos. You're in Blackpool.

Are there lots of semi-clothed children running barefoot in the streets?

Comment

The 4 Sports of Laos

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
            Are there lots of semi-clothed children running barefoot in the streets?
            If so, you're in Laos. If it's semi-clothed adults, then you're in Blackpool.

Comment

The 4 Sports of Laos

No badminton?

(I'm not joking)

Comment

The 4 Sports of Laos

No, no badminton that I saw. And cheers to clive for correcting me on Sepak Takraw.

Comment

The 4 Sports of Laos

Since when has petanque become plural?

Is it a Canadian thing?

Comment

The 4 Sports of Laos

Is that not how you spell it? Boules takes an "s" - why wouldn't petanque(s)?

Comment

The 4 Sports of Laos

Mainly because "boules" is a plural of "boule", the name of one of the "bowls" you hurl at the target, whereas "petanque" is by many accounts simply named after the sound the balls make when they hit each other?

Comment

The 4 Sports of Laos

What's the difference between lawn bowling, bowls and bocce?

Comment

The 4 Sports of Laos

Lawn bowling and bowls are two names for essentially the same thing, though I think the latter is used more for games played on synthetic surfaces.

Bocce and petanque are similar to bowls in concept (they probably all come from the same ur-game), but use symmetrical (and smaller) balls (bowls are slightly assymetrical) and are played on different surfaces (traditionally oyster shells or gravel for bocce, hard dirt for petanque). Bocce courts also sometimes have low walls, and allow for a step or two, whereas in petanque you need to throw from a standing start. There are also scoring differences.

Comment

Working...
                          X