Clear All

guy with Welsh name V the guy with Italian name

Harri and PBF in New York for the fight tonight

3 AM am on sentanta

'I can shee no shignificant problem for Calzashghe>

it was 4 15 in the end and I had fallen asleep

just seen it on a repeat.

calzaghe on his arse first round, but after the third it never looked in danger. after jones cut in the seventh surprised it reached the end

Comment

Great fight. I missed the Calzaghe era, but I've never seen a fighter who could work like that (throwing punches like it was a Toughman contest instead of a boxing match,) could dance like that, who could make defense bt sticking his head right in front of a fighter's gloves and throw a counter-punch to any punch thrown, and who could make Roy Jones look scared.

Comment

jason voorhees wrote:
        I missed the Calzaghe era ...
        Unfortuantely for him, so did most people over there.

Comment

G.O.A.T.

Comment

Calzaghe throws alot of punches, but hits like a girl as most of his blows are slaps rather than hitting with the knuckle. This explains his lack of knockouts in big fights.

Also his record on paper is alot better than in real life.
            Most of his big victories have been against boxers who were past their best.

But fair play to him, he defended his title for a long time and has remained unbeaten.
            There are not really any big fights left for him, he can fight another over-the-hill bum in Tarver or take on a potentially dangerous little known fighter who could possibly beat him like the guy who owns the other two light-heavyweight belts.
            I would not recommend that fight as the money wont be great and he has too much to lose.
            Plus is a younger fighter knocks you down in the first round, you are less likely to be able to get up and easily beat them on points like the two 40 year olds he beat.

Comment

In Calzaghe's defence, he has had a lot of hand injuries in the past, meaning that he's had to change his punching style.

Now he's free from Frank Warran, I think he could take on a Tarver and a younger fighter or two (to take him to 50), because he's in danger of having a 46 fight unbeaten run, and no legacy in the grand scheme of things.

We've spoken before on Warren's preference of keeping his fighters as big fish in little waters, and while that sells out arenas in the UK, and wins Sports Personality of the Year, his recognition in the states is down to beating a 43-year old Hopkins, a semi-retired Roy Jones, and a win over that guy who was a runner up in The Contender.

And if Calzaghe truly is/was a great, we'll never know.

Comment

Having been out there for the fight, the week beforehand and a couple of days afterwards I would say that the recognition for Calzaghe in the States is, admittedly belatedly, pretty damn high. They know he as dominated his weight class for over a decade and has been willing to step up a weight to get anyone even remotely interesting to fight.

I think he'll take one more fight at least, at the Millennium and that's likely to be his last one. I really don't see him being obsessed about breaking the unbeaten record or his "legacy in the grand scheme of things". He's a multi-millionaire who has achieved more in his field than 99% of any sportsmen have, he seems very content with that.

Comment

I agree with Pheobe apart from this paragraph.

" I think he could take on a Tarver and a younger fighter or two (to take him to 50), because he's in danger of having a 46 fight unbeaten run, and no legacy in the grand scheme of things."

Apart from a couple of million more on his bank balance, the will have nothing more to gain by doing this.
                  If he beats Tarver, people like me will be saying that he beat another over the hill big name fighter a decade after he should have fought him. Tarver is 40, overrated in his prime and has lost 2 of his last 3 fights pretty badly to Hopkins and Dawson.
                  Only a mug would pay decent monet to watch that match.
                  A young fighter would be too dangerous, and anyway could not command a decent enough purse unless it is a "goodbye fight for the fans" at the Milenium and if that is the case, he might as well fight me as he would still pack out the place and not have to worry about losing.
                  There is no big name light-heavy out there and not that Pavlik lost to Hopkins, his only options are rematches against the last two guys he fought.

He should go now, whilst at the top and become the Welsh Henry Cooper rather than risk his record against a hungry young buck or a wiley old veteren. Surely he has made enough money and can still make a decent enough living on the after dinner circuit or alongside Jim Watt and or Steve Bunce at SKYSetanta.

Comment

Working...
                  X