Nothing but wickets in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... for debutant Australian off-spinner Jason Krejza who's just notched up the most ridiculous set of bowling figures I've ever seen in Nagpur: 43.5 overs, 1 maiden, 8 for 215.

It's lucky for him and for Australia that Tubby Isaacs isn't their captain, or he'd have been exiled to long on in perpetuity after the first two overs.

Blimey. Krejza name...

Comment

Simultaneously the most expensive figures on debut, and the 8th best in history.

I'm actually surprised that 7 people have taken 8 or more wickets in their first ever innings. Anyone fancy trying to guess who they were?

Comment

I'll have a guess that Bob Massie is actually above him twice with 8 for 60ish in both innings at Lords in 1972.

And there was an Indian spinner who got 8 on debut against the West Indies in the late 80's and then faded into obscurity. Think his name may be Hirwani?

As for the others. No idea.

Comment

Both Massie and Hirwani got 8 in both innings. I'll have to check whether his figures are for best bowling figurse on debut, or best bowling figures in first ever innings.

Comment

Incidentally Hirwani is now one of the Indian selectors.

Comment

Ah, they are best figures on debut.

So, we're looking for 3 other instances of a bowler taking 8 wickets or more in an innings of their debut test.

As a hint, they happened in 1895, 1950 and 1996.

Comment

Incidentally Hirwani is now one of the Indian selectors.
                Maybe not that obscure then. Though I'd be hard pushed to name the selectors of any country.

I'm pretty certain that his debut was the greatest achievement of his playing career though.

Comment

Yes, he didn't do that much afterwards. Would be impressive if he had surpassed 16 wickets on debut though!

Comment

I recall that Ramadhin and Valentine both made their test debuts on the 1950 West Indies tour of England, and they took vast quantities of wickets in the series. Could it have been one of them?

Comment

Very good, Andy. Valentine took 8-104 at Manchester.

Comment

Dominic Cork took loads on his debut, if memory serves, so, er, Dominic Cork?

Comment

He's the one displaced by Krejza from 7th place. Cork took 7-43 vs the Windies.

Yesterday Ian Botham was predicting that England would win the Ashes nect summer because the Aussies don't have the bowlers, in particular they don't have a spinner. Is Krejza likely to fill the hole? His first class figures aren't that great.

Comment

The list of best debut test wicket hauls is not exactly a register of legends.

Don't look if you're still working on Etienne's question.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content...ds/283352.html

Comment

I reckon you were the only person likely to get the more recent one, G-Man, so for anyone who didn't click that link, I now reveal that the missing names are A.E. Trott for Australia vs England in 1895 and Lance Klusener for SA vs India in 1996.

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure whether that was Klusener's debut or not. He had been around the ODI squad for a bit before then.

Same test Gary Kirsten scored centuries in both innings, I seem to recall.

Comment

Working...
                                X