BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harri Xmas wrote:I assume I wasn't the only one watching it thinking "Dear gawd no, this can only prolong the tedious craze of negatively comparing footballers to "our wonderful Olympians" "[/quote]
    I enjoyed Rebecca Romero's comments on this very subject in a recent interview. The jist being that the deification of her and her colleagues made her uncomfortable, given that she'd spent the last 4 years completely and totally focused on herself.

Comment

The best thing about this competition is that it gives the tedious pedants who dominate this country yet another chance to say "Well what does personality mean?" in an all-knowing way.

It's vague and well-named so you don't have to choose the 'best' sportsman nor do you have to choose Gazza because he makes you laugh.

Comment

chippy wrote:
        ... the tedious pedants who dominate this country...
        Ah, would that we did, Mr Fyfe, would that we did.

I dunno, I think it's acquired a patina of loveableness, has "personality", because it sounds slightly archaic. But without that, I think the word's no bloody good, really. The truth is we know little about the "personality" of sports people, and I don't think we should necessarily care that much.

Comment

Torvill & Dean managed to do a) and c) in your list (they were front page news for days I don't think any sporting acheivement has managed that since). Their pefect tens in the Olympic final was a pretty phonomenal achievement considering a) it was the first ever and b) unlike a lot of Olympic "amateurs", they had day jobs (and Christopher Dean worked shifts, just to make it even more awkward for them).
          Yeah but be fair phoebe. They were still poncing around on fucking ice skates. it's as much a sport as disco dancing.

Comment

chippy wrote:
            It's vague and well-named so you don't have to choose the 'best' sportsman nor do you have to choose Gazza because he makes you laugh.
            I don't think Gazza did enough this year to warrant the award.

Comment

I nominate Ian Wright from the Ladbrokes advert. He cracks me up, so he does.

Comment

Sorry Pheobe: Icicles get 6's as a perfect score.

I really enjoyed watching the memories of the past year... its the only reason I watch it.

And the young lady swimmer of the paralympics mentioned above (Eleanor Simmonds?) was magnificent.

Chris Hoy sort of deserved it, although apparently there was a block vote for any Scottish person (whither Andy Murray, who only used a bat as his machine?)

I would have, and did, vote for Rebecca Adlington who SHOULD have won 3 golds, but was let down by the swimming coach, and the ineptitude of her relay partners... Team GB (I fucking hate that) really should have blown away the 4x200m freestyle.

Comment

Fully expecting an 'It's the Sun wot won it'- style reaction from Cycling Weekly this week.

-they ran a campaign, story after story saying cyclists/fans HAD to 'vote Hoy', even if they felt Cooke was better etc etc as there was only one cycling candidate who could win overall

Comment

Phoebe wrote:
                    His "record breaking four Tour de France stage wins" were mentioned during the cycling round up.
                    Ah, I must have missed that - still deserved more of a splash though.

The Purple Cow wrote:
                    Now you see, that sentence makes no sense whatsoever, does it?
                    It was written whilst heavily under the influence of Beecham's Cold & Flu ... but I think you know what I mean don't you?

Comment

How much of a splash does achievement in a minority sport really merit, though (which isn't to detract from the magnititude of his achievement)?

I'd guess that the vast majority of people watching couldn't name any of the Tour de France winners since Lance Armstrong quit, nor would they have much idea of what a "stage" of the Tour De France consists of.

Comment

Nor would they ever think about watching a swimming regatta or a track cycling meet ...

Comment

Well no, but loads of people would, and did, watch these sports at the Olympics, which is why they got so much prominence.

If they were giving lots of airtime to a swimming regatta you'd possibly have an excellent point.

Comment

I understand your point, but the Tour is no more a "minority sport" than swimming - Olympics or no Olympics.

I didn't ever expect Cav to be nominated for the top award - he was the only one of the cycling team not to win a medal at the BBC's Beijing Wankfest - but expected more to be made of his achievements.

If anything, I suppose cycling fans should be more angered that Nicole didn't win - the first person of any sex and any nationality to win Olympic Gold and the Rainbow Shirt in the same year.

But there we go - any awards ceremony that has Harry Redknapp shortlisted for Coach of the Year has to be flawed!

Comment

erm, are you two going for the classic 'blind or deaf' moment?

Sports that wouldnae get an oar in without an Olympic year boost, against sports that... have machinery every (year) time, and are not on a 4 year cycle.(sic).

Alternatively, Jorge, you are a cunt. Or not. Dial 07777 111 999 for yes or...

Comment

If anything, I suppose cycling fans should be more angered that Nicole didn't win - the first person of any sex and any nationality to win Olympic Gold and the Rainbow Shirt in the same year.
                                That's why the Cycling mags felt the need to really campaign for a tactical vote for Hoy. I would've voted Cooke, definitely.

Comment

geront, I tried that number but it said they couldn't register my vote just yet.

Comment

Working...
                                  X