X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied
    Is there a future for test cricket?

E10, sponsorship is only 14% of total income so it's not as bad as it could be. The TV deal is worth far more, and they smartly negotiated the next one early. I wonder whether Sky will look to get out of that, but it looks OK from here.

Having said that, if I were one of the new sponsors they're looking for I wouldn't be too keen sponsoring something people can't watch because it's on Sky.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied

That's odd, because I'd have thought "politicking and lack of respect" describes, precisely, Stanford's own conduct towards cricket in the past 12 months.

Leave a comment:

• The Purple Cow
    replied

Stanford's people are spinning this as him being pissed off with all the politicking and lack of respect he gets. But I suspect he's just broke.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

And now a cut in central funding as well; Monty's had a better week than the money guys at the ECB.

The Stanford Legends are no more. I continue to hope that political considerations cause Stanford to continue to fund lower profile, more grass roots initiatives, but that may be too much to hope for.

Similarly, one could hope that the sudden disappearance of the Great Benefactor might cause the West Indian game to pull as one and get its act together on its own, but that seems even more Pollyannaish.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied

What with the ECB losing its Vodafone sponsorship deal yesterday, they'll be shitting themselves in the accounts department? But it might teach the ECB not to put so many eggs in such a fragile basket.

The impact on West Indies cricket will be the one to watch, though in and of itself Stanford's fucking-off can only be celebrated.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

Is Stanford pulling the plug?

It would make sense for him to dump the ECB early on in any "restructuring" of his "investment". He needs to keep the Antiguan government on his side or face potentially humongous tax consequences.

I would also argue that it would be better for the game as a whole for the IPL to become the pre-eminent international 20/20 competition.

Leave a comment:

• Reed John
    replied

It was. Basically, England couldn't seem to hit straight down the ground so relied on impro shots on the leg side: result, both openers bowled through huge gaps then most of the others scooping rather than slogging to mid wioket.
    I'd love to know what that means.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

You love that picture, don't you?
    So do I.

This team isn't good enough to wear the pink. You need to have more than a little bit of swagger to pull it off.

Leave a comment:

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied

That should be pink anyway.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

Given how the test side has been doing lately, yes.

(Joke)

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied

Do you have a problem with white? (Joke)

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

Stanford won't leave Antigua because he needs the legal and tax protection his presence there assures (see, e.g., Robert Vesco in Costa Rica (without suggesting that Stanford is either a crook or a Nixonite, though it is of course possible that he is both.)

I don't like the guy, but he is providing resources that could prove to be very handy if cricket administrators in the Windies use them wisely (which would of course be out of character).

And as much as it brings back joyful memories to see a Windies team humilate England, it also pains me to see them playing in a colour other than burgundy.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied

It was. Basically, England couldn't seem to hit straight down the ground so relied on impro shots on the leg side: result, both openers bowled through huge gaps then most of the others scooping rather than slogging to mid wioket.

Gayle and Fletcher had no such problems.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied

Watched this on that Freeview channel where you get the TMS commentary and a scorecard. It sounded hilarious.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied

E10 Rifle wrote:
    I'm glad we lost. Whether this influences the chances of this feudal overlord being told to fuck off out of cricket is harder to gauge.

In other, more interesting, news, Anil Kumble has retired from international cricket
    Do you think Stanford will fuck off from West Indies cricket, either by his own choice or someone else's? Two billionaires from America and Ireland* using it for their wider commercial interests isn't edifying, but where else will the cash come from? Modi and the BCCI? I think not.

Hail Kumble. Be interesting to see who else follows him at the end of this series.

* Denis O'Brien, owner of WI main sponsor Digicel.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied

I'm glad we lost. Whether this influences the chances of this feudal overlord being told to fuck off out of cricket is harder to gauge.

In other, more interesting, news, Anil Kumble has retired from international cricket.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied

barndoorio wrote:
    On a purely cricketing note, I thought the referral system worked swiftly and well on LBWs in particular and could well be worth picking up for all ODIs for more testing
    Agreed. Koerzen, Taufel and co. handled it well.

England might have won had it been two overs per side...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Even as an England fan, by the end I didn't begrudge the defeat. The thought of a bunch of really well paid players spoiling the chance of a mostly (but by no means entirely) far worse paid group of cricketers securing their financial future would have been ungratifying.

On a purely cricketing note, I thought the referral system worked swiftly and well on LBWs in particular and could well be worth picking up for all ODIs for more testing.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

That was surprisingly satisfying.

Leave a comment:

• rick derris
    replied

extras are englands second highest scorer

Leave a comment:

• Wolf2
    replied

Well England are currently 72-8, they're gonna be close to that lowest score. Absolutely bottled it.

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied

Possibly Australia's 79 v England at the Rose Bowl in 2005.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

You should get your wish from here! England capitulating, the faces of Harmison and Pietersen on the bench are about as glum as you get.

54/6 after 12 overs.

What's the lowest 20/20 score in international games?

Leave a comment:

• rick derris
    replied

I'm guessing it could work out around as around £5k to the likes of Flintoff and Pietersen compared to the national average wage.
    pretty much the reason for my stance

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied

It looks like the pressure of the cash is getting to England. Their shot selection is just pre-meditated dross.

Mind you the Superstars are bowling extremely tightly. It looks like the extra spinner may not be required.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X